Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Apostrophe...

Options
  • 13-11-2008 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

I was perusing a post and the jist of it was that "the commentator didn't know that there were two Davis' playing for...etc"

So two people named Davis= what?

Two Davis' ?
    Two Davis's ?
    Two Davisesmy choice

None of the above.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I was perusing a post and the jist of it was that "the commentator didn't know that there were two Davis' playing for...etc"

So two people named Davis= what?

Two Davis' ?
    Two Davis's ?
    Two Davisesmy choice

None of the above.

:confused:

'Two Davises' is correct. It is sometimes better to avoid the confusion by saying something like 'two players by the name of Davis'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

For a start, it's plural, so an apostrophe is out of the question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

obl wrote: »
    For a start, it's plural, so an apostrophe is out of the question...

I agree that there should be no apostrophe. I have used quotation marks, but in case they cause confusion, what I meant was that the sentence should read as follows:

'the commentator didn't know that there were two Davises playing for...etc.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's what I thought, thanks for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

• Advertisement
Advertisement