Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

autumn international ticket prices

• 13-11-2008 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    just back from murrayfield last weekend and paid 20£ for a good seat at the try line where tuitavake scored the 1st try after 3 minutes.(not bad at all) then there were a couple more that side before half time.

Imagine my surprise when i get my tickets for Ireland V the AB's and I find that they are a whopping €80 a pop for the feckin Canal end(davin stand).
    There must be no recession in the irfu!

Anyway thats my rant!
    Love to see Ireland do it but they have to boss mcCaw and co at the break down and that is not an easy thing to do!.
    Not sure how wise it is having a rookie scrum-half and rory(i couldnt hit a man in a lineout)best!

AB's by 10+

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Scotland have serious issues with attendances of late and are practically giving away tickets to fill Murrayfield for matches. Even tickets for their 6 nations games are never hard to get your hands on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

went to 2 six nations games earlier this year and the ticket for both of those in croker were significantly cheaper than this "test" or "friendly" circa 60€ where there is actually something on the line!
    I mean in fairness!
    j
    talk about taking the pee!
    I wonder how much the canadians were and the argies are going to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tickets for the argies in the Hill were €32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, there is the fact Scotland cant fill Murryfield if they try and give the tickets away - where we could sell prolly 200,000 all blacks tickets at €80/€100

Supply and demand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Yea, there is the fact Scotland cant fill Murryfield if they try and give the tickets away -

Yeah its really sad, one of the elephants in the room regarding Rugby Union, and gives the lie to the IRB's 'Global game' pretentions. The fact is that rugby union is dying out in Scotland, and unless something radical is done, a founding home nation will go down the drain in a couple of years...(think Canada)...

I remember travelling to Murrayfield twenty years ago (for our then traditional bi-annual beating), the place was jammed, the game of rugby was vibrant and it was definitely the best away weekend of the competition, you couldn't get tickets for gold dust......the professional era, combined with epic mismanagement, has been a disaster for union in Scotland. Really sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

My ticket for the East Tce in Thomand V Canada was €25.

The ticket for Hogan Stand V Argies is €85.

Very disappointed with IRFU re: ticket pricing, but it seems the the FAI are going along the same lines too with their pricing for games in Croker.

Considering the amount a ticket to a GAA game costs in Croker, the international's prices is completely off the wall. Same level of staff required, so why the double/treble costing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe with the GAA you only have one set of hands fumbling in the greasy till.
    With the AI rugby you have the IRFU, NZRFU and GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Which part of Supply & Demand do some of you not understand??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

My ticket for the East Tce in Thomand V Canada was €25.

The ticket for Hogan Stand V Argies is €85.
    Yea, your terrace ticket for Ireland versus a J3 level side in a provincial town should be exactly the same as your stand ticket for Ireland versus a world top 8 side in one of the greatest stadia in the world [in the middle of our capital city].

Damn them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Maybe not but €85 for a ticket is taking the p!$$(and money).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

if you don't want to pay it don't pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Ulstermell0

RuggieBear wrote: »
    if you don't want to pay it don't pay it.
    great attitude - if you want rugby to remain the game for snobs instead of being open for all. there should be some cheap tickets available.

For some people that's a day's wages.

I know its supply and demand but i think the fans feed the IRFU's already fat mouth enough.

Sure rinse the corporates for all you can get.

not sure what a childs ticket is but i'd imagine it would set a dad back quite a lot if he had two kids he wanted to take to the game.

great attitude - if you want rugby to remain the game for snobs instead of being open for all. there should be some cheap tickets available.
    Who are you calling a snob? Me? I paid over the odds anyway €130
    per ticket and yes it is dear but how often do you get to see the Ireland Vs's the AB's in Croke Park?
    Wait till the new Landsdowne is finished and there is 30k less tickets to go around then watch the price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the money garnered from those tickets pays for the professional game in this country.

If i want the game to remain professional I need the IRFU to get as much money in as it can from the Internationals as that money more or less pays for everything else all the way down.

There are plenty of cheaper underage tickets made available to clubs and schools.

It's not being snobby it's being realistic.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Who are you calling a snob? Me? I paid over the odds anyway €130
    per ticket and yes it is dear but how often do you get to see the Ireland Vs's the AB's in Croke Park?
    Wait till the new Landsdowne is finished and there is 30k less tickets to go around then watch the price...

sorry,I should have said 'percieved' as a game for snobs.

Your lucky that you can afford to pay that much.

but do you not accept the point that high prices aren't the best for the future of irish rugby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

There are c10,000 tickets on sale for New Zealand and Argentina games for €33 a pop. That is fine.

also comparing it to GAA matches is unrealistic for a number of reasons
    1- the length of time between games, i.e. NZ only come bi-annually hence demand goes up
    2 - Croke park is owned by the GAA who don;t have to pay €2m rent per game to another association.
    3 - This is an international so the whole country are looking for tickets not just individual counties hence again increased demand.
    4 - New Zealand or Carlow GAA..hmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

but do you not accept the point that high prices aren't the best for the future of irish rugby?

Best future for Irish rugby is for the IRFU to have as much funds as possible to invest in the game. If a stadium is selling out it would be silly not to charge as much as they can, as long as they allow some cheap/schoolboy sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

As was said before, if it's too expensive, don't go. That's what I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't know, generally I find the price of rugby tickets in Ireland to be good value. The price of tickets for ML and HEC are very good value and even the AI are reasonable considering the demand.

I think I paid £40 stg for tickets to see Wasps V Munster in the Ricoh Stadium last year which was steep enough but not ott.

However, I think Leinster and Munster push the boat out with them charging €30 for stand tickets that are open to the elements. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

When you can get a Leinster season ticket for 200 odd, 80+ doesn't seem great value.

But ticket prices were starting at €32 if you were lucky enough to get a chance to purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

My two cents:

The IRFU should charge as much as they can get. Demand is outstripping supply. In the professional era it's just good business sense (or is that cent ;) )

That being said, as a punter - rugby games at this level really are poor value for money. No season ticket option to reward the regular fan goer. It's becoming a really expensive day out and that trend will only worsen with the new Lansdowne road unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Which part of Supply & Demand do some of you not understand??? :rolleyes:

The part about tickets not being €150 or €200 for the England, France and New Zealand games if they are in such damand ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

toomevara wrote: »
    Yeah its really sad, one of the elephants in the room regarding Rugby Union, and gives the lie to the IRB's 'Global game' pretentions. The fact is that rugby union is dying out in Scotland, and unless something radical is done, a founding home nation will go down the drain in a couple of years...(think Canada)...

I remember travelling to Murrayfield twenty years ago (for our then traditional bi-annual beating), the place was jammed, the game of rugby was vibrant and it was definitely the best away weekend of the competition, you couldn't get tickets for gold dust......the professional era, combined with epic mismanagement, has been a disaster for union in Scotland. Really sad

Very sad indeed. I recall travelling to Scotland with a college hurling team about 15 years ago on the weekend the Scots came over to Dublin to play us, cheap flights cos the planes were empty going back, and we flew on a 747 - that's how many Scots were travelling for the game, they were using bloody jumbo jets to ferry them over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

So why is Scottish Rugby going down the tube?

disproportionate popularity of football (even morethan other home nations i would guess) would be one reason

Sangre wrote: »
    Best future for Irish rugby is for the IRFU to have as much funds as possible to invest in the game. If a stadium is selling out it would be silly not to charge as much as they can, as long as they allow some cheap/schoolboy sections.
    thats a bit overly simplistic - money isnt the be all and end all - certainly not in the short term. an increase in participation and community involvement is also important.

sorry for a bit of uninformed posting earlier didnt realise that 10k tickets were sold @ 33 euro each. that is a pretty good deal from IRFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Just got my Two tickets in the post, happy days:D. Worth every cent of €85. How often will you see the All Blacks playing in Croke Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yes, it is expensive. Yes I won't be going to AIs/6Ns as much because of the expense.

That said, it is funding the game, and the significant players of our provinces. There will be plenty of people to fill any seat I leave vacant. I've paid more for a concert of similar entertainment value to me. I won't get the oppertunity (whatever the expense) to be at the AIs/6Ns when Lansdowne is open (what with greatly reduced seats, and higher coporate allocation). So expensive it may be, suck up the oppertunity that might not always be there, even if only for a few games.

Just got my Two tickets in the post, happy days:D. Worth every cent of €85. How often will you see the All Blacks playing in Croke Park?
    This is likely to be the first and last time the AB's play in CP and for that reason it has to be a worthwhile game to be at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

CJhaughey wrote: »
    This is likely to be the first and last time the AB's play in CP and for that reason it has to be a worthwhile game to be at.

Possibly true. However .. when the new Lansdowne is open for business, I would not be surprised to see the bigger matches staged in Croke Park, if the IRFU and GAA can both do well out of it.

When is Croke Park due to be completed, i.e. fill in that grotty terrace at the northern end :D ? It creates an awful draught ;) And then the roof ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I hear that tickets for the match tomorrow are like gold dust - small, relatively pointless and overpriced. Sounds about right.

I would take a spoonful of honey, thats some bitterness you have there:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So why is Scottish Rugby going down the tube?

The heartland of Scottish rugby - i.e. the Borders region never really took to professionalism. Hence why the Borders franchise went down the tubes - the rugby fans in the area still prefer the amateur side.
    Combine that with the ever-growing interest in soccer, along with a lack of success at Celtic/Magners league level and playing numbers have dwinded massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Heroditas wrote: »
    The heartland of Scottish rugby - i.e. the Borders region never really took to professionalism. Hence why the Borders franchise went down the tubes - the rugby fans in the area still prefer the amateur side.
    Combine that with the ever-growing interest in soccer, along with a lack of success at Celtic/Magners league level and playing numbers have dwinded massively.

Spot on, The borders was the heartland of Scottish rugby, it would be like removing Munster or Leinster and their fans from the game in Ireland. The SRU also penurised itself to redevelop Murrayfield, accrued massive debt for a stadium which they can never hope to fill except maybe once a year, and created two unloved and largely unwatched teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh. The game in scotland was all about local clubs and allegiances, which were swept away over night.

And then there was the fact that the game is totally elitist and school-based in Scotland at lower age-level, its never managed to break out of the ghetto and attract a wider fan base like say Munster....and Latterly Leinster....

The Matt Williams era was an absolute joke, and of course there's the fact that Scotland couldn't score in a brothel with a fistful of tenners. Their try against SA at the weekend was the first in over 6 hours of international rugby!..doesn't exactly have them falling over themselves to come see the 'spectacle...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

hi all,
    just back from murrayfield last weekend and paid 20£ for a good seat at the try line where tuitavake scored the 1st try after 3 minutes.(not bad at all) then there were a couple more that side before half time.

Imagine my surprise when i get my tickets for Ireland V the AB's and I find that they are a whopping €80 a pop for the feckin Canal end(davin stand).
    There must be no recession in the irfu!

Paid €80 for my tickets too. I think they were all €80 regardless of where you sat. I was in the complete nose bleed seats!! Was a very disapointing game to pay such a high price, but I understand that the IRFU have massive overheads to take on right now with paying for a new stadium and paying rent on the current stadium. They may have sold off their 10 year tickets and corporate boxes cheaper than they could have too as the FAI seem to be flogging them for twice the price.

Anyway, it's a pure luxury to go to international matches imo, they'll more or less always sell out whether you do or don't and for me I'd say with all the internationals and with Leinster season tickets and the odd away game and merchandise etc., I could be spending close to a grand a year on following rugby, which is a sh*t load of money to me. So I may have to reconsider non-essential rugby and internationals may be up for the cut. maybe just one 6 nations game a year and that's it or something :)

Anyway...my seats (those little dots down there are players...I think)
    ABs001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Paid €80 for my tickets too. I think they were all €80 regardless of where you sat. I was in the complete nose bleed seats!! Was a very disapointing game to pay such a high price, but I understand that the IRFU have massive overheads to take on right now with paying for a new stadium and paying rent on the current stadium. They may have sold off their 10 year tickets and corporate boxes cheaper than they could have too as the FAI seem to be flogging them for twice the price.

Anyway, it's a pure luxury to go to international matches imo, they'll more or less always sell out whether you do or don't and for me I'd say with all the internationals and with Leinster season tickets and the odd away game and merchandise etc., I could be spending close to a grand a year on following rugby, which is a sh*t load of money to me. So I may have to reconsider non-essential rugby and internationals may be up for the cut. maybe just one 6 nations game a year and that's it or something :)

Anyway...my seats (those little dots down there are players...I think)
    ABs001.jpg

Well I paid €100 for mine, Hogan Stand but more like the Davin end.
    View from my seat - C612FBEC136745CCB772FF25F9E9AFA2-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

No problem with the IRFU charging what they like for the big games like New Zealand, Australia England et al. These are the Blue Riband games that they should cash in on.

But their ticketing policy for the less glamorous teams leaves a lot to be desired. For example, if as a Dad I want to bring my young lad to the Argentinian game next week, I have to shell out full whack for that. They will say: "Oh but he can get a schoolboy ticket." Well yes, but that means he has to sit in one part of the ground and I in another. Why can't we buy a family ticket or a child's price ticket and sit together?

We can do that for the provinces. Leinster have a good policy of encouraging kids to come to games with cut price tickets. And good family deals. But for games which will be difficult to sell out, and that will include Argentina despite their third place finish in the world cup, the IRFU should make it easier for fathers (or mothers) to bring their kids along.

Give me the child to the age of 10 and I will give you the later wage earning fanatic that will pay for your game in years to come. You;ll get nothing from him sitting at home with his Playstation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

No problem with the IRFU charging what they like for the big games like New Zealand, Australia England et al. These are the Blue Riband games that they should cash in on.

But their ticketing policy for the less glamorous teams leaves a lot to be desired. For example, if as a Dad I want to bring my young lad to the Argentinian game next week, I have to shell out full whack for that. They will say: "Oh but he can get a schoolboy ticket." Well yes, but that means he has to sit in one part of the ground and I in another. Why can't we buy a family ticket or a child's price ticket and sit together?

We can do that for the provinces. Leinster have a good policy of encouraging kids to come to games with cut price tickets. And good family deals. But for games which will be difficult to sell out, and that will include Argentina despite their third place finish in the world cup, the IRFU should make it easier for fathers (or mothers) to bring their kids along.

Give me the child to the age of 10 and I will give you the later wage earning fanatic that will pay for your game in years to come. You;ll get nothing from him sitting at home with his Playstation.

The attitude you display toward the team who came third in the last RWC and have beaten Ireland more times than Ireland have beaten them since the pro era is all very ironic indeed given Ireland's own record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The attitude you display toward the team who came third in the last RWC and have beaten Ireland more times than Ireland have beaten them since the pro era is all very ironic indeed given Ireland's own record.

It's not an attitude. It's an observation.

I'll be there. But I bet you'll see loads of spare seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

thats a bit overly simplistic - money isnt the be all and end all - certainly not in the short term. an increase in participation and community involvement is also important.

sorry for a bit of uninformed posting earlier didnt realise that 10k tickets were sold @ 33 euro each. that is a pretty good deal from IRFU
    But money is need to fund community iniatives and participation.

Tbh, I think Leinster are on the right track with reduced ticket prices for kids and organised family days etc.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I was in the Lower Cusack, about 10 rows from the pitch, close to where Brad Thorn went over.

FWIW, I'd be as well at home to see the match. Any time the play was outside of the 22 at that end of the pitch, I hadn't a clue what was going on. I was watching the big screen as much as the actual play, toggling between Michael Corcoran and RefLink on my radio.

And, with regard to the earlier poster about bring children and having to pay full whack, I agree. I'd like to take my 8yo son to Croke Park, but not at €80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sangre wrote: »
    But money is need to fund community iniatives and participation.

Tbh, I think Leinster are on the right track with reduced ticket prices for kids and organised family days etc.,

I agree, the amount of kids aged 7-12 at leinster matches these days is incredible. And most of them are in families, a father +2,3 even 4 kids. its great to see. so it would appear the take up of family offers is quite high.

This can only be good for the future. As a previoulsy mentioned, these kids will be the fanatics (and players!) of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

if you think that e80 is too much for these matchs go to the pub and watch it, thats what i did and will be doing so from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

My supporters club tickets were shocking. I could only see half the pitch. €85 each.

Advertisement