Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liver and Iron!

• 13-11-2008 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I have crohn's disease and I'm seriously anaemic. Unfortunetly, I'm not able to tolerate Iron supplements so I have to rely on food to get my iron. A while ago I tried a liver stir fry but I found that I need to mask the flavour of the liver more (it's fierce strong) Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I'm really desperate... I've been anaemic for 3 years now :(
    And just to throw a spanner into the works... I can't eat anything spicy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Oh, if you have any other good iron source recipes feel free to post them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Broccoli is good for iron... give this a go, it's the business:

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

Do you like pate? Any type of liver pate should have a fair bit of iron. I find it nicest on toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My mum used to make us liver on a regular basis, and I hated it at the time, but I pine for it now.

If you coat it in flour, salt and pepper, and gently fry it in butter with onions, and then serve it with a good gravy and some mashed potatoes, it's really not half bad.

The blandness of the mashed potatoes sits well with the highly-flavoured liver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Make sure you're going for calfs liver - much nicer than lambs liver!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

OP, have you heard of 'The specific carbohydrate diet'? It works wonders for those with Crohn's. A friend of mine tried it with great success, he has gained a stone in the last year:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Do you eat a fortified breakfast cereal?
    Have you been diagnosed by your doc as aneamic?
    Have you tried Spatone it is an iron rich water that is easy on the stomach?

tk123 wrote: »
    Make sure you're going for calfs liver - much nicer than lambs liver!

Really? Because I've only tried lamb's liver and it was extremely strong! You probably have to go to a butcher to get calf's liver do you? because they only have lamb's liver in supervalu. Thanks!
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Do you eat a fortified breakfast cereal?
    Have you been diagnosed by your doc as aneamic?
    Have you tried Spatone it is an iron rich water that is easy on the stomach?

Yeah I eat Weetabix. My dietician highly recommends them! Yeah I have been diagnosed. I got my iron up to 11 (the point where you're not anaemic anymore) but for some reason it didn't last long :(. I have tried Spatone and there was no joy with it either! I've also tried Galfer (the worst of the lot), ferrum hausman, centrum, multibionta and a tonic that my chemist make themselves and all of them cut the stomach out of me.
    My consultant has given me a few iron infusions and they're great but I need to maintain the iron and it's a pain having to go into the hospital to get them.

neddas wrote: »
    OP, have you heard of 'The specific carbohydrate diet'? It works wonders for those with Crohn's. A friend of mine tried it with great success, he has gained a stone in the last year:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

No I have never heard of this diet... it sounds promising though! I must look into it. Thanks!

I realise that this is my 3rd post in a row but I'm after coming up with an idea to help with my iron intake! I was so excited I had to post it :D.

Because it's made with pigs blood it is packed full of iron so if I mashed up black pudding with mashed spuds that would be an easy and tasty way of getting my iron up... plus I was trying to think of ways to make spuds more interesting and I think this would be yummy... especially with some ham or gammon steak!:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Just be aware that the iron in fortified cereal is relatively indigestible compared to animal sources.

We only absorb on average 10% of the iron from our food, if we need more our body will absorb more, unless of course, as in your case, your absorption ability is inhibited.

So it's better to work on upping your absorption ability as well as consumption. Vitamin C helps iron absorption and phytates, tannins, iron overload, antacids can inhibit it. So avoid soy products and tea for a while when you're getting your levels back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'm only just after coming off a liver tonic which I took with food. It was in a bottle and I just threw it out and cant bloody remember it's name. Something like Flaxidant and you can buy it in Grafton Street for E9.99 or a larger dose for E14.99. Anyway it's all natural and you take it just before eating your two main meals.

neddas wrote: »
    Just be aware that the iron in fortified cereal is relatively indigestible compared to animal sources.

We only absorb on average 10% of the iron from our food, if we need more our body will absorb more, unless of course, as in your case, your absorption ability is inhibited.

So it's better to work on upping your absorption ability as well as consumption. Vitamin C helps iron absorption and phytates, tannins, iron overload, antacids can inhibit it. So avoid soy products and tea for a while when you're getting your levels back up.

My dietician told me to drink Ribena with my dinner because it is an excellent source of Vitamin C. To be honest it is the only source of VitC in my diet because I can't eat ANY fruit or drink fruit juices.

Also about the tea. I'm cutting down on it. I'm drinking milk with my lunch and I've replaced my cup of tea before bed with a cup of horlicks.
    jdivision wrote: »
    I'm only just after coming off a liver tonic which I took with food. It was in a bottle and I just threw it out and cant bloody remember it's name. Something like Flaxidant and you can buy it in Grafton Street for E9.99 or a larger dose for E14.99. Anyway it's all natural and you take it just before eating your two main meals.

That sounds interesting... I live up in Dublin during the week so I could easy go to Grafton St... do you know the name of the shop you got it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

nerdysal wrote: »
    Yeah I eat Weetabix. My dietician highly recommends them! Yeah I have been diagnosed. I got my iron up to 11 (the point where you're not anaemic anymore) but for some reason it didn't last long :(. I have tried Spatone and there was no joy with it either! I've also tried Galfer (the worst of the lot), ferrum hausman, centrum, multibionta and a tonic that my chemist make themselves and all of them cut the stomach out of me.
    My consultant has given me a few iron infusions and they're great but I need to maintain the iron and it's a pain having to go into the hospital to get them.

Are you female op?

edit: just checked your profile. Could your iron levels have gone down soon after your period? The loss of blood often results in low iron levels for women afaik, perhaps increasing your intake of iron rich foods for the week of and following it would be an idea? (hope that's not too graphic or intrusive)

No your alright! I haven't had one in 3 yrs so its not down to that! My doctors aren't worried though. They said its due to my weight been so low (which just won't go up no matter how hard I try) and my body is protecting itself...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Hi OP, this page might help you:

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70

Also from the same page:
    Nutrient Interactions
    How do other nutrients interact with iron?

Several nutrients increase iron absorption including ascorbic acid (vitamin C), copper, cobalt, and manganese. Amino acids also improve iron absorption by stimulating the secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. High dietary intake of calcium may decrease absorption of dietary iron.

So based on the info on that page, I would advise ditching normal milk and start drinking soy milk. Although it does say "high dietary intake"... The alpro sweetened is the nicest (I only drink this one) and maybe get some tofu into your diet. So try a lentil and tofu curry with some chard thrown in at the end? Iron-tastic!

I appreciate your advise but dropping my lovely yummy full fat milk is not an option because protein and calcium are essential parts of a crohn's sufferers diet and I love milk! I'm one of the lucky sufferers because I'm not lactose intolerant (alot of them are)...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well studies have shown that dairy is not the best source of calcium, despite the best efforts of the dairy industry to convince the general public otherwise. Yes, it is a good source but there are other non-dairy sources that are better:

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=45
    Excellent sources of calcium include spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens and collard greens.

Very good sources of calcium include blackstrap molasses, Swiss chard, yogurt, kale, mozzarella cheese, cow's milk, and goat's milk. Basil, thyme, dill seed, cinnamon, and peppermint leaves are also very good sources of calcium.

Good sources of calcium include romaine lettuce, celery, broccoli, sesame seeds, fennel, cabbage, summer squash, green beans, garlic, tofu, Brussel sprouts, oranges, asparagus and crimini mushrooms. Oregano, rosemary, parsley, kombu, and kelp are also good sources of calcium.

From what I understand, the fat in the dairy product combines with the calcium and the two exit the body. So lower-fat dairy products would be better for calcium intake. I'll try and find a study.

Edit: this is just my 2 cents so I'm DEFINITELY not saying take my advice over the advice of your dietician or other medical professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

nerdysal wrote: »
    That sounds interesting... I live up in Dublin during the week so I could easy go to Grafton St... do you know the name of the shop you got it in?
    It's called Floradix and you'll get it in Health matters at the TCD end of Grafton St, almost opposite AIB. It provides organic iron.

Advertisement