Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant for fussy person

Options
  • 13-11-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi - need Galway restaurant recommendations.

Been out for dinner in Galway tons of times but never to a non-indian, thai, mexican, spanish or chinese restaurant.

So which restaurants are good for 'normal' food?

Price isn't a problem, but one of the party is a chef. Hes fussy. He's really fussy. Obviously, he likes good food, but doesnt like pretentious foodie places if you know what I mean.

Like places that pile everything up in a little tower but the food is unoriginal and over-priced. So recommendations for places that do a good steak (and can do a decent rare), good fish etc. is the sort of thing Im looking for.

I'm currently thinking Cookes or Nimmos, but never eaten in them before, so advise is much needed and will be very appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

McSwiggans

http://www.mcswiggans.com/mcswiggans.html

I highly recommend it for service and food quality and presentation of food. You can even get a chip tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Not sure about McSwiggens. I go there for lunch a lot but wouldnt recommend it for dinner based on that.

Ive seen Abalone mentioned a lot on other threads - what kind of food is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Oscars, Casey Blakes, that Kirwans one...

But I'd say McSwiggans too, its pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Tawny wrote: »
    Ive seen Abalone mentioned a lot on other threads - what kind of food is it?

Its sex! The place is pricey but well worth it in imho. The food is so bloody good it’s not funny, their steak is to die for. Its presented well but not to the extent of two peas and a sliver of carrot extent. Also they have a lovely wine list, their Pinot Noir is yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

kayos wrote: »
    Its sex! The place is pricey but well worth it in imho. The food is so bloody good it’s not funny, their steak is to die for. Its presented well but not to the extent of two peas and a sliver of carrot extent. Also they have a lovely wine list, their Pinot Noir is yum yum.

where abouts in town is Abalone? Would it be good for a couple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just googlemaps Abalone Galway like everyone else does - great place I hear.
    Druids Lane.
    Vina Mara.
    Malthouse.
    Park House Hotel Galway are famous for their steaks.

Take your friend to McDs and get him a burger

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Only place i've been to that I can think would suit the chef is Oscars. The presentation and quality of the food is amazing (but of course you'll pay for it) - Mike, the chef (and owner) spends all day, every fcuking day in the kitchen of the place

biko wrote: »
    Just googlemaps Abalone Galway like everyone else

oh, sorrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I think you dropped this:

thread_police_badge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    where abouts in town is Abalone? Would it be good for a couple?

Dominic St and yes, yes, yess, yyyyyeeeeeeessssssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Oscars, Casey Blakes, that Kirwans one...

But I'd say McSwiggans too, its pretty good

God not McSwiggans is just average pub grub at best, reminds me of my parents going on about good places to eat just cause they pile the plate up for cheap!
    Anyway enough of my little rant, Abalone is a real gem, I also thought that Malthouse was great last time I went, both using good local produce cooked really well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    oh, sorrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I think you dropped this
    Oh that's where it was.

Seriously though, why ask when a google would take you 3 seconds? First result (ireland-guide) gives you address and rough directions?
    Just interested like.

I use a handy FF addon that puts a "Locate on Googlemaps" in your rightclick menu for any address or word string. Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Mustard..
    its a gourmet burger place.. nothing pretentious, just good beef, chicken or veggie burgers complemented with nice salsa sauces and stuff. good value for money too.
    .. just opposite the corn store & modern music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

If you don't mind travelling a few miles outside Galway you could try The Old School house in Clarenbridge, or the always wonderful White Gables in Moycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I love the food in Tara, Dominick Street!

granted, the place is quiet, but the food was really good, unpretentious but well done, big portions, the service was lovely, and you get a 3-course decent meal for 25 quid (including smoked salmon starters, proper steak, and dessert).

I can highly recommend it (if they're still open...)

The burgers in Mustard are fantastic, too!

Abalone is great, but unfortunately a little pricey...But definitely one of the best restaurants Galway has to offer. Nice and secluded (or intimate?) too - we usually go there for Valentine's day ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Mustard is nothing special, in my opinion. I'd have to recommend Oscars. Pricey but by 'eck its worth it.

IronMan wrote: »
    If you don't mind travelling a few miles outside Galway you could try The Old School house in Clarenbridge, or the always wonderful White Gables in Moycullen.

The Old School House is closed as far as I know

biko wrote: »
    Oh that's where it was.

Seriously though, why ask when a google would take you 3 seconds? First result (ireland-guide) gives you address and rough directions?
    Just interested like.

Well, Is it harming anyone by asking on the thread?...other people in the thread may be interested to know where it is aswell...saves them searching on google maps too if its already in the thread perhaps? I doubt the extra bandwidth used for my specific question will have much negative effect on the board as a whole so no need for the policing IMHO of course...

About Oscars...

Is this typical or is it the fancy menu they put on the webpage but only serve the stuff on it once in a blue moon?

http://www.oscarsbistro.ie/menu.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I had dinner in Oscar's once, I had the Prawn Sambale.

It was the most ridiculous looking "plate" of food I ever saw, 3 foot high and all these leaves everywhere, it didn't even fit on the bloody table. It took me an hour to eat the bugger and I only found the rice after the prawns were all gone. It was exhausting. It was the ponciest thing ever. Nothing wrong with the actual food itself but jeepers keep it simple lads. And the decor is gammy, sorry.

Yes, White Gables, yum. I must try Abalone, then again, that's what I thought before I tried Oscar's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

About Oscars...

Is this typical or is it the fancy menu they put on the webpage but only serve the stuff on it once in a blue moon?

http://www.oscarsbistro.ie/menu.html

I ate there last month and that's pretty much the exact menu we were given. I had the rack of lamb - it was delicious. I was very impressed, the starters, main course and desserts were all excellent. I'll definitely be heading back again. You definitely need to book a few days in advance if you're planning on going at the weekend. It's quite small and intimate so it doesn't seem very busy even when it is.

Was in the Malt House last weekend too and the food there was very nice too. Especially the desserts. The only problem I had with it was that there was 2 seatings for Saturday evening meals (seven and nine) which meant they were firing the food at you pretty fast to get rid of you in time for the second seating. Food was excellent though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

re: Oscars menu - yeap thats roughly whats on there every week.

we religously go every 3 months or so. But it is pricey.
    I prefer it to Vina Mara.

The baby back ribs are fantastic!!! In there special Cashal Bay sauce, yum yum. I always have them, but then again I alway go for their amazing steak as well.

white gables I thought was well expensive!

Abalone - excellent also - that and oscars are my 2 favourites - without question. I've been meaning to do their tasting menu @ Abalone - has anyone had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Have'nt been there personally, but I hear the Tribes restaurant in the Clayton Hotel is well swish...
    Menu available here: http://www.claytonhotelgalway.ie/dining/tribes.aspx

lampsie

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

Oscars - cant' beat it with a big stick

Honourable mentions in no particular preference

Quay St Restaurant
    Da Robertas
    Basillico (Oranmore)
    Kirbys
    McSwiggans (plain & simple)

Would think of more but just in the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

If he's that bloody fussy take him to supermacs on fri. night. then goto any of the mentioned on Sat. night.
    You could also take him foraging as far away as possibleImage:Mushy_peas_19_july_05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Abalone is certainly one of the best right now,excellent food and service with great attention to detail. Oscars food is overly fussy, way too much foliage going on! Da Robertas is very good simple food but not the place to go if you want a steak. Generally best to stay away from all the Quay st operations, food is poor and over priced.
    Cava is very nice too but you dont want Spanish food.

Hi all - just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. We had a lovely dinner in Oscars. Abalone's two sittings business didn't suit.

Oscars - staff were excellent and there was a good varied menu.

It was touch and go at one stage when our fussy eater was told the cheese board wasnt all raw milk cheese, but overall everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Seems like your fussy eater needs to be thrown onto a deserted island for a week*

* Can be arranged for a fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Hi all - just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. We had a lovely dinner in Oscars. Abalone's two sittings business didn't suit.

Oscars - staff were excellent and there was a good varied menu.

It was touch and go at one stage when our fussy eater was told the cheese board wasnt all raw milk cheese, but overall everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Glad you had a great time, a quick question though I hate the 2 sittings thing as well, yet when I have rung Oscars before they have had 2 sittings in operation, is this still the same or have they changed their policy?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Seems like your fussy eater needs to be thrown onto a deserted island for a week*

Yes, unfortunatly familial obligations means I'd be one having to go out to bring him back.

And Oscars - I booked for the time I wanted, no sittings business. It was pricely though. The real pity was that we had some lovely wine but I was driving! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Malthouse
    McSwiggans
    Park House - all good for the "normal" food

Advertisement