Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newgate Centre gets go ahead

• 13-11-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

KRM were on WLRFM this morning talking about it.

I have no official links, because the only people who recieved info are interested parties.

But yeah, Pleanála approved it. Can't wait for the fookin traffic!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Excellent news! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

thank god
    the city needs a bit of life and quick..

i work in the city centre and its a ghosttown most days

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Hallelujah, finally a bit of progress in the city.

Hopefully its full steam ahead or is their any opportunity now for further objections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not familiar with this lads what Development is it?
    Or is it the one thats suppose to be in newstreet carpark?

As I mentioned a couple of times I Manage a Shop on steven street if it would bring a bit of life up this way i'll be happy as larry.

I agree with savic04 The footfall around is just awful these days, More people seem to be in the carpark by TK Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Mr Ed wrote: »
    Hopefully its full steam ahead or is their any opportunity now for further objections?
    Nope, this is the final call. No more objections to be made.
    I'm not familiar with this lads what Development is it?
    Or is it the one thats suppose to be in newstreet carpark?
    Yup, that's the one. All the way up to Stephen St.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

About time but i suppose good things take time. Any idea what the final plan that was accepted is? Hopefully they wont hold back the development now that times are tough.

Ya great news,

Like sully said hopefully they go the whole hog now. Could really do with a Tesco 24hr or some novelty to Draw in the crowds,

Any Idea what kind of ETA it would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Brilliant news more shops finally. RTE also confirming it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1113/waterford.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's great news.

As we're in recession this could be a good time to build the centre as it will give employment to a lot in the construction industry, the developers will benefit financially as they'll be much better able to negociate for cheaper construction.

Same thing happened back in the 80's (think it was then) when the developer that build either Blanchardstown or mayby Liffey Valley built by keeping on his building crews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

For those of you unaware of the project: http://www.newgatecentre.com

Really does look excellent. Hopefully it will give the boost the city centre needs

• Advertisement

I was just looking at the plans it real does seem like its what the City centre needs,

I feel for the residents beside it a little bit with the traffic issue but its really for the greater good. If something like this didn't happen I could have seen alot of places going under around town in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

About the traffic issue, whilst I do sympathise with the locals somewhat.. I'm forced to wonder what exactly they expect living in the city centre?

If they want traffic-free living, shouldn't they be living in the suburbs like everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

This has made my day.. Fantastic news, and not a moment too soon! Had my doubts about the city centres survival to be honest but this is just the injection it needs. The plans look fantastic!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

This is of course terrific news, but...

- There's a massive shopping centre already built and practically ready to go in Ferrybank. What's going to happen there?

- Remember, there's a huge crisis in the banking sector, leading to very little money being lent out at present. Can KRM raise finance for this now? On the other hand, this is just what the economy locally needs: two years' worth of construction jobs.

I really hope they can get going on this now. The credit crunch won't last forever, so it would be good to have this in place for when the upturn comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Press Release

An Bord Pleanála approval clears way for €280m Waterford project

KRM Construction Partnership has welcomed the decision by An Bord Pleanála to uphold the granting of planning permission by Waterford City Council in July 2007 for a €280m mixed-use development on a 5.1-acre site which borders Michael Street, New Street, Stephen Street and Brown’s Lane in the centre of Waterford.

Waterford City Council granted planning permission for the development on July 2, 2007 subject to 33 conditions, some of which have now been revised by the planning appeals board. In addition to 50-plus retail outlets, the project includes a 107-bedroom four star hotel with a substantial conference centre and leisure facilities; arts, cultural and community facilities and underground parking for over 600 vehicles. 28 city centre homes are also included, as is a rooftop viewing area that will offer unrivalled panoramic views of Waterford.

Welcoming the An Bord Pleanála decision, Paul Miskella, CEO, KRM Construction Partnership said that it cleared the way for work to begin on the project which is seen as hugely important to revitalising Waterford city centre and underpinning the city’s status as gateway to the southeast.

“I know that I also speak for the southeast businessmen behind this scheme - Dan Kickham and Ciaran Redmond - when I say how delighted we are with this outcome to the planning appeals process which vindicates our own plans but also Waterford City Council’s decision to approve those plans over 16 months ago after very careful consideration and analysis,” he remarked.

For his part, Dan Kickham of the Enniscorthy-based DKG Group said: “We’ve had a long journey through the planning process and the current application was lodged with Waterford City Council almost two years ago in December 2006.

“As well as the extensive public consultation we engaged in prior to making that application, we have also continued to work with various interested parties – both supporters and those with concerns – through the intervening period. The oral hearing held by An Bord Pleanála over three days in November 2007 provided a further useful opportunity for arguments in favour of and against aspects of the scheme to be aired before an independent third-party.

“Throughout this process, we have been encouraged by the level of support we have received in Waterford and by the appetite that clearly exists across the community there for the type of large-scale development that can attract big name retailers and large numbers of shoppers and visitors to the city centre which, I think it is generally agreed, is in need of significant regeneration to respond to currently unmet demand and to allow Waterford take its rightful place in Ireland’s retail hierarchy alongside the other major cities.”

Mr Kickham’s partner on the project, Ciaran Redmond of Bunclody-based Redmond Civil Engineering (RCE) added, “The outcome from An Bord Pleanála now allows us move ahead with our plans for site clearance and construction and we will obviously be engaging in a considerable public information and community liaison campaign as we do this in what we are very conscious of being such an important city centre location. We can also now proceed to the next stage of our negotiations with various potential tenants for the retail element of the project as well as discussions with hotel operators and management companies.”

Mr Redmond who is also involved in developing the championship level Bunclody Golf & Fishing Club which is due to open in March 2009 thanked all of the team who have worked on the project throughout the pre-planning and planning phase as well as those individuals and organisations who have been supportive of the development.

“I spoke after the oral hearing of the great team led by Paul Miskella that helped bring this scheme to where it is now at and again now thank all of the committed professionals who have worked on it to date. In acknowledging the support we’ve received from a wide range of third parties, I also want to recognise publicly the courtesy generally shown to us by those who took a different view of the proposals. We have also consistently sought to reciprocate that courtesy and will continue to do so.”

ENDS – November 13, 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Thank God the employment front is looking good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Good news. Now we just have the long wait for construction. Hopefully it will bring more feet to the area.

Just looked at the RTÉ link on the previous page. The picture has nothing to do with this development :rolleyes:

Kahless wrote: »
    Just looked at the RTÉ link on the previous page. The picture has nothing to do with this development :rolleyes:

They're supposed to be a national broadcaster, yet when reporting on the country's fifth city, they seem to think it's good enough to put up any old stock picture of a proposed development for Waterford. Sure how many planning applications can there in Waterford anyway? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I think the one pictured is (or was) the proposed development for the quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Typical RTE, I guess all and sundry will be praying the economy is on the up by the time is complete.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Finally some good news for Waterford.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

great news , hopefully this will stope the town from coming ever more like a ghost city during the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Great news....more empty buildings in the future.....developers profiting....evil wins once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

CEO of KRM Paul Miskella says that he hopes construction can begin in early Spring next year.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Great news....more empty buildings in the future.....developers profiting....evil wins once more.

Oh hello Brendan! :rolleyes:

Meatwad wrote: »

In the words of tatyo....................... There's always one!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So hang on we have a development in railway square with practically nothing in it and they want another devlopment up the road from it?

Seems like a great ideal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Cabaal wrote: »
    So hang on we have a development in railway square with practically nothing in it and they want another devlopment up the road from it?

Seems like a great ideal!

The Railway Sq development was only ever going to attract small tenants.

The Newgate development is being designed with a couple of large anchor tenants in mind, and if they sign up, the small units will fill up.

Even though it is only just up the road, it is more in the heart of the shopping area, while Railway Sq is in the drinking / student area of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Thank god this development is going through. I hope the objectors are fuming. Their day is done. I don't think Waterford will look back after this, but they nearly succeeded in finishing the city entirely.

It looks as though development will start in the short term, and Waterford will feel the benefits straight away, with a large number of construction workers working and eating in the city centre over the next couple of years. After that it will benefit even more as it becomes far and away the best shopping destination in the south east.

It's great to see that the 'but isin't railway sq. still empty' brigade on here. I hope that you lot will be just as sickened when it opens as the objectors are now. Railway sq. was never built to support high level, city centre retail. The best it could hope for, given the location and type of units, was a Spar a Pizza Hut and maybe a video shop, or whatever. The Spar/Centra/Londis never opened -- even though it's all but kitted out -- for whatever reason, and the Pizza Hut was denied planning permission because of signage. These setbacks have unfortunately been enough to stifle its development. There is probably too much retail space there anyway.

The Newgate centre will be a different kettle of fish entirely. It will host large anchor tenants that are guaranteed to draw crowds, tenants such as M&S, that are not represented in Waterford and that are very interested in coming here. Waterford has been held back by the total lack of suitable city centre units, particularly large units, and because of the difficulties in modifying existing street fronts. This shopping centre will provide an easy way for shops such as Waterstones, HMV, Virgin (whatever they're called), Dixons, Zara, etc., etc. to come to Waterford at almost zero risk.

Waterford is poised for this expansion because it did not expand its retail in line with other large centres during the boom, and it has similar 30 and 45 min drive time catchment populations to Limerick and Galway. Waterford is probably the only place in the country where a shopping centre of this size could be built during a recession and still make money. When it's built, the city centre will get a lot busier, and businesses that are currently struggling will do a lot better.

Hopefully, HRM will be able to secure the credit, and that negotiations for major retailers not currently in Waterford goes smoothly. If so, by Christmas 2010, we will have one of the best shopping experiences in the country on our own doorstep.

Finally something actually escapes the planning bermuda triangle.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    Thank god this development is going through. I hope the objectors are fuming. Their day is done. I don't think Waterford will look back after this, but they nearly succeeded in finishing the city entirely.

It looks as though development will start in the short term, and Waterford will feel the benefits straight away, with a large number of construction workers working and eating in the city centre over the next couple of years. After that it will benefit even more as it becomes far and away the best shopping destination in the south east.

It's great to see that the 'but isin't railway sq. still empty' brigade on here. I hope that you lot will be just as sickened when it opens as the objectors are now. Railway sq. was never built to support high level, city centre retail. The best it could hope for, given the location and type of units, was a Spar a Pizza Hut and maybe a video shop, or whatever. The Spar/Centra/Londis never opened -- even though it's all but kitted out -- for whatever reason, and the Pizza Hut was denied planning permission because of signage. These setbacks have unfortunately been enough to stifle its development. There is probably too much retail space there anyway.

The Newgate centre will be a different kettle of fish entirely. It will host large anchor tenants that are guaranteed to draw crowds, tenants such as M&S, that are not represented in Waterford and that are very interested in coming here. Waterford has been held back by the total lack of suitable city centre units, particularly large units, and because of the difficulties in modifying existing street fronts. This shopping centre will provide an easy way for shops such as Waterstones, HMV, Virgin (whatever they're called), Dixons, Zara, etc., etc. to come to Waterford at almost zero risk.

Waterford is poised for this expansion because it did not expand its retail in line with other large centres during the boom, and it has similar 30 and 45 min drive time catchment populations to Limerick and Galway. Waterford is probably the only place in the country where a shopping centre of this size could be built during a recession and still make money. When it's built, the city centre will get a lot busier, and businesses that are currently struggling will do a lot better.

Hopefully, HRM will be able to secure the credit, and that negotiations for major retailers not currently in Waterford goes smoothly. If so, by Christmas 2010, we will have one of the best shopping experiences in the country on our own doorstep.

Finally something actually escapes the planning bermuda triangle.

Well said, I for one cant wait if you walk out my door and look right you can see what I beieve is going to be the New Hotel. Great for the shops up this way. However I feel the like of city square could be in trouble although Dunnes and Debenhams will keep a crowd down there.

Advertisement