Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RHD to LHD conversion question...

• 13-11-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

A Polish mechanic friend of mine is looking to start converting certain vans here in Ireland to LHD for sale in Poland, as they fetch good money over there.

What I want to ask is, when a conversion is done, does it have to be inspected by the DOE or anything like that, or can a conversion just be done without an inspections afterwards? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Wouldn't that be dependent on the transport authorities in Poland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Given the cost of labour here, wouldn't it make more sense to ship them to Poland first and do the conversion there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you do it here and drive it on public roads to the boat, I'd expect it'll have to be able to pass both Irish and Polish inspection for roadworthiness.
    If you ship them as-is and convert there, it'll only be Polish tests that matter.
    Cost of labour is cheaper in Poland.

I'm with Alun on the "do it in Poland" angle.

I fail to see how the economics will work though - you buy a second hand van for a couple of grand, buy a new dash, steering rack etc. etc. for it. Spend hours doing the change over. Try and sell it in Poland for a profit.

Anyone know how much a conversion costs to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I suspect Max_Damage's friend would do the work himself while living here, so saving on labour costs that way.

But how much is your time worth?

Better to be here doing labour for people who pay Irish rates, or in Poland doing work for Irish rates rather than in Ireland doing work for Polish rates...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

@ AudiChris - How much is your time worth if you're an unemployed Polish mechanics who's just been laid off from a higher paid job on a building site? ;)

Fair point!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Cars must be fetching a fairly good price over there. a polish mechanic friend of mine often buys left hand drive cars here to tart up and sell in poland. i didnt think it would be worth while but aparently it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ahsarova

would this mechanic be able to convert my right hand drive 2006 Mitsubishi Evo 9 to left hand drive? any idea how much that would cost me?

also, does anybody have fairly fresh LHD car that you would like to swap for right hand drive BMW? Pics of BMW here:

MODEDIT
    Ad removed, stop pimping your car

I am moving to Europe so need LHD car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ss414

Hi, is your friend still buying lhd cars?
    ...Stan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ss414 wrote: »
    Hi, is your friend still buying lhd cars?
    ...Stan

Please don't resurrect old threads, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement