Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispute POS Transaction Form

Options
  • 13-11-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just after noticing from my online banking that there are POS transactions on it over the last few days that I havent made, nor has my card been stolen. I rang to cancel my card and they told me I'd have to fill out a Dispute POS Transaction Form.

Does anyone here know if i'l get my money back (nearly €250.00) and how long will it take?

The account is a joint account so would it be better to cancel both cards? (I only cancelled mine, the one that the fraudulent activity was carried out on).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Cancel both.

We had fraud on our laser cards almost a year ago. The fraudsters did not have our cards but were randomly generating numbers until they got a hit on a laser card number. When they get a hit they try a few numbers either side of it as if its a joint account there is usually only a digit in the difference.

In our case the fraud was done on 4 terminals, the same ones again and again. It would seem that the fraudsters stole terminals and just kept using them. When I rang and mentioned the transactions the bank knew immediately what I was talking about and I just filled in the forms.

We did get a full refund. My assumption was that we did so as no pin number could possibly have been entered for the transactions, a bit like using your CC over the phone, you can't enter your pin number. This assumption could be wrong. Either way there was no problem and the issue was resolved quite quickly.

I have no way of knowing if the fraud on your account is the same type of fraud, but if it was then at least you know how they went about doing it. I was relieved to know as I felt that at least I hadn't done something stupid and this particular type of fraud really can happen to anyone.

I can PM you the names of the companies our supposed "debits" had come from and then you would know if its the same setup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi,

Just after noticing from my online banking that there are POS transactions on it over the last few days that I havent made, nor has my card been stolen. I rang to cancel my card and they told me I'd have to fill out a Dispute POS Transaction Form.

Does anyone here know if i'l get my money back (nearly €250.00) and how long will it take?

The account is a joint account so would it be better to cancel both cards? (I only cancelled mine, the one that the fraudulent activity was carried out on).

How long it takes depends on whether the bank are already aware of the fraud (ie other customers were hit by the same fraudsters in the same way). It could be days, it could be weeks.

Just to let you know that I had a case about a year ago where a transaction appeared on my account that I didn't recognise. After the bank investigated, it turned out to be a withdrawal from a BOI ATM about 4 months previously that BOI had only just claimed for (some problem with their system)! Don't get me wrong, there's certainly a good chance it is a fraud, but they sometimes can be legitimate transactions.

As it's a joint account is their any chance that your partner didn't go on a shopping blitz without telling you (perhaps to buy you a present:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

buy me a present?!!! :rolleyes: i wish!!

No there were 3 POS transactions - an ESB bill payment (we dont have an esb account yet) and the other two transactions were for Jurys Inn in Dublin. All transactions were carried out last weekend and me and the other half were away for the weekend elsewhere and have the reciepts from the hotel to prove it.

I hope that it gets sorted out. Its over €250 from an account that isnt very healthy at the minute :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dlambirl wrote: »
    buy me a present?!!! :rolleyes: i wish!!

No there were 3 POS transactions - an ESB bill payment (we dont have an esb account yet) and the other two transactions were for Jurys Inn in Dublin. All transactions were carried out last weekend and me and the other half were away for the weekend elsewhere and have the reciepts from the hotel to prove it.

I hope that it gets sorted out. Its over €250 from an account that isnt very healthy at the minute :(

If they were "card not present" transactions, you should win any dispute hands down.

If it was just the ESB bill payment, I would think error, happened me once before, given my credit card number over the phone, two digits got transposed and as luck would have it, magically hit another vaild card number...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

esb bill sounds idiotic for any fraudster as its tied to an address and possible name hence traceability?

• Advertisement

So do you think that the bank wont refund me back my money??

I know, i was thinking that about the ESB bill! I also thought it weird to be paying for a hotel as well, would a name not be used for that too.

Just after sending the OH into the bank to fill out the form because i cant get away from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I also noticed some strange transactions on our joint AIB Lazer in the last few weeks. Most of them were from the Topaz station in Bray, but some other ones were random other purchases from other places. However when I checked through my receipts I found that they were all genuine, but some of the transactions only posted to my account a week after the purchases, there were 4 transactions posted for one day that I wasn’t even in the country, that’s why I noticed them, but they all turned out to be ok.

I also noticed some strange transactions on our joint AIB Lazer in the last few weeks. Most of them were from the Topaz station in Bray, but some other ones were random other purchases from other places. However when I checked through my receipts I found that they were all genuine, but some of the transactions only posted to my account a week after the purchases, there were 4 transactions posted for one day that I wasn’t even in the country, that’s why I noticed them, but they all turned out to be ok.

Yes I understand that transactions can take a while to come out of the account but we havent got an ESB bill nor stayed in Jurys so its not a matter of a delayed transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Don't worry. You will get your money back. It's just a question of when. The bank won't refund a cent until is has completed its investigation.

However, the nature of the transactions really confuses me. With the Jurys Inn, it is very possible that the culprits are either caught on CCTV or will be remembered by staff.

As for the ESB, that's just crazy as it's obvious who benefitted from that (unless of course the fradster paid a random bill to throw the guards off the scent?).

Anyway, I think your OH should buy you a present after all this:D

They said in the bank that it could be 90 days.

Should I have called the guards or will AIB notify them? I thought the three transactions very odd - something that would have a name attached.

• Advertisement
Advertisement