Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav for the Mother!

• 13-11-2008 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

hi all, i know this has been done to death with recommendations for sat navs but would like some specific advice.
    • Basically, its for my mother-so has to be simple to use!;)
    • Budget of around €200
    • No bluetooth or media extras of any sort needed- just a sat nav!
    • Big enough screen
    • Up to date maps would be a plus or maps that you can get updates for.(im thinking of the m50 in particular)
    • I have heard of some sat navs requiring the spelling of a certain address to be correct and full instead of just putting in a few letters and a list comes up ( the latter being the preferred option)
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Halfords ( saw this in the Coolock branch) are selling the Garmin nuvi 250 for €119 at the moment.
    Ireland and UK mapping
    or they have one for €139 with street level european mapping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Halfords ( saw this in the Coolock branch) are selling the Garmin nuvi 200 for €119 at the moment.
    Ireland and UK mapping
    or they have one for €139 with street level european mapping
    cheers, will have a look at that.
    forgot to mention that i dont mind buying online and she also doesnt need european mapping- just uk and Eire.

Then €119 is a good a price you will get IMO

Its €129 on komplett HERE

• Advertisement

Thats great- thanks for that. Will head up to halfords over the weekend and see if they still have it. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have had 3 sat navs-my first was a navman i found it to small to see and drive [i am in my late 60s]-my second sat nav was a sony very good easy to use but dident have all the irish roads and lanes on it -this last one i have is great its a tom tom xl large screen and you can update it for free as well as free traffic jam warnings perfect for a oap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Was in Tesco in Maynooth the other day and they had the TomTom One Europe for 99. The model on display had UK maps only and was twice the price but one of the guys working at the photo center and told me they also had the model with European maps for 99. Presumably if one Tesco has it then others will too.

Think the screen size is more or less the same as the Garmin 200W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Got the Tesco gps today €79, UK and Ire maps, havent tried it yet, but it says the maps are "updateable"

cheers for the replys! so im gonna have a look at both the garmin and tom tom and see which i think wud suit best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

hi,

might be a bit late (& a bit sexist cos it's pink ;)) but aldi have another gps on thurs 20th nov :

MEDION® GoPal® E3230 Glamour Edition Navigation System only €129.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

How detailed are the rural maps in your average Sat Nav, particularly the ones mentioned??

Advertisement