Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WHO KNEW THIS???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The fuel gauge on my 1984 Land-Rover 90 reads 'Cold-Hot'. I don't think it'll work with that one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

My OH told me about this only a little while ago.
    Naturally I made like I knew all along "d'uh - everyone knows that. Silly girl."

...but I didn't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

My car 2005 S40 has an arrow beside the symbol to show which side its on.

I believe not all car manufactures do this so sorry voted for third option..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Top Gear busted this myth a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

AudiChris wrote: »
    I just checked a couple of cars (all VAG, so a bit of a skewed sample), so far it's true - including the LHD Golf we have!!

Don't VAG cars always have the petrol tank on the drivers side?
    On the topic of the fuel guage, I've seen where it's not the case, don't remember where though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Biro wrote: »
    Don't VAG cars always have the petrol tank on the drivers side?

Not on the LHD car, that's passenger side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I think he meant the nozzle and hose of the pump icon on the gauge

No Nozzle and Hose icon on the dash, just the word "Diesel", with no arrow anywhere to tell you that the fuel filler was on the drivers side.

Not on the LHD car, that's passenger side.

OK, sorry, I should have said the right of the car. As in they don't bother changing it over to the other side when changing wheel over.
    VW used be so lazy that the wipers used be the opposite way around on RHD cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

All modern Toyotas have this arrow which points to the left, and sure enough that's where you find the filler cap.

BMWs are not fitted with the arrow, in the 90s they used to have "unleaded gasoline only" on the fuel guage of US market cars, and all diesels for the past 10 years or so have "diesel" on the fuel guage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

My 08 Golf has the icon on the wrong side i.e. icon is on left and tank is on right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I always use this rule of thumb. No matter if the car is RHD or LHD, the filler cap is on the right for European cars and on the left for Japanese cars. There are a few exceptions, iirc Volvo is one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

unkel wrote: »
    I always use this rule of thumb. No matter if the car is RHD or LHD, the filler cap is on the right for European cars and on the left for Japanese cars. There are a few exceptions, iirc Volvo is one of them

So it's always on the opposite sode of the indicator stalk? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I often park the opposite side at the petrol pump for the simple reason that if you dont, you end up leaving an amount of petrol in the hose as it rests on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Not true for the Toyota Celica, the icon of the petrol pump has the handle on the right but the petrol cap is on the left.

It doesn't matter as there's another icon (Arrow) to let you know this. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OK, sorry, I should have said the right of the car. As in they don't bother changing it over to the other side when changing wheel over.

Sorry, wasn't being sarcastic.

Sorry, wasn't being sarcastic.

I know, I just realised how I phrased it! :D

Very true. I have a theory on that. Petrol pumps used to be on the side of the road outside shops etc, so you could only pull up along side them. Seeing as in Japan they drive on the left as we do, they put the tank on the left hand side of the car so you can just pull in left and you're beside it. The opposite is true for European cars, you just pull into the right and you're beside it. The only time it got confusing is when European car manufacturers had to change their cars from LHD to RHD to accomodate the UK and Irish markets. They didn't bother changing over the petrol tank and exhaust either. (You'll find that normally the exhaust pipe is the opposite side to the petrol tank opening).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seeing as in Japan they drive on the left as we do, they put the tank on the left hand side of the car so you can just pull in left and you're beside it

That explains Volvo too!

Even though the Swedes used to drive on the left, the cars were always LHD. But the tank is on the left to facilitate fuelling. After they switched to driving on the correct side of the road, they didn't bother switching over the petrol tanks. Probably about coincided with the arrival of separate petrol stations and the demise of the road side pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Checked the astra outside and it corresponds with this! The germans are the only ones with sense it seems :p (don't come back saying they're owned by GM therefore american!! heh)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

If you cant remember which side of the car your fill cap is on you shouldnt be allowed to drive imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

If you cant remember which side of the car your fill cap is on you shouldnt be allowed to drive imo.

+1

...and to add some confusion, on my Alfa Brera it is true, even though someone above pointed out that it's not true on their Alfa 159 (which is basically a Brera with a boot)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

C5 - and it appears true. I'll check a C4 Picasso tomorrow as the flap is on the n/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

noblestee wrote: »
    just checked-
    VW Golf - Correct
    Peugeot 307 - Correct
    Sante Fe - Wrong - but then again thats still got right hand side indicators and left hand side wipers... Crazy Koreans
    Everything is backwards there, aren't Koreans communist anyway?:confused:

How many Koreans does it take to change a bulb?
    None because in communist Korea a light bulb changes you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

That explains Volvo too!

Even though the Swedes used to drive on the left, the cars were always LHD. But the tank is on the left to facilitate fuelling. After they switched to driving on the correct side of the road, they didn't bother switching over the petrol tanks. Probably about coincided with the arrival of separate petrol stations and the demise of the road side pump.

My '67 Volvo Amazon and '77 245 both have the tank fillers on the right hand side of the car (Amazon is left hand drive). My Subaru has the filler on the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Mk1 focus has an arrow> indicating which side has the filler cap. I checked after reading this thread .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

My girlfriends 00 Ka is on the left but the pumo sign is on the right! And her car has normal lights (left) and wipers (right)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Funnily enough the side that you fill up for petrol varies from model to model, even in the same make of car.

You put fuel in on the RHS in the Focus, but in the new Fiesta, like most of the previous ones you fill it up on the LHS,

Funnily enough, considering someone mentioned Volvo, all Volvos have the petrol cap on the RHS too. The current S40 is on the RHS, unlike the previous one which was in Volvo tradition on the LHS.

Interestingly both generations of the BMW MINI have the fuel filler on the LHS of the car(even though all anyway recent BMWs have it on the opposite side), and BMWs used to have the indicators done Japanese style until the 60s when they got moved to the side of the steering wheel every other car maker uses.

Of course in a RHD car, the indicators should be on the RHS of the steering wheel, not the LHS, but tbh I'd find it weird to have the indicators and wipers reversed and done the "proper" way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Nope, checked the MR2 on the way home, hose is on the left on the clocks but filler cap is on the opposite side.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

My petrol handle is on the right, but my petrol cap is on the left :p

Tis a nissan almera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

To be honest I'd prefer some 'indicator' as to where the damn fuel lid release is in the car! This wrecks my head everytime I switch to a different car and I'm normally stuck parked up beside a pump for 10 minutes searching around inside the car for the release lever!! Then I get out and relalise theres no lever at all, its manual and works off the central locking!

Advertisement