Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WHO KNEW THIS???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Weird people saying about the Korean cars, just checked the brother-in-law's Hyundai Coupe and it's got a big arrow pointing to the filler side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Biro wrote: »
    in Japan they drive on the left as we do, they put the tank on the left hand side of the car so you can just pull in left and you're beside it.

mazda6 has the cap on the left, mazda3 has the cap on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

E92 wrote: »
    The current S40 is on the RHS, unlike the previous one which was in Volvo tradition on the LHS.

Of course in a RHD car, the indicators should be on the RHS of the steering wheel, not the LHS, but tbh I'd find it weird to have the indicators and wipers reversed and done the "proper" way.

What Volvo tradition? It varies wildly - the PV444/544 had the filler on the left, the Amazon and 140/240 series had it on the right. 700 series had it on the left. S70 has it on the right. It depends what you call tradition I suppose...

I agree with you about the indicators btw - much more natural to have it on the opposite side to the gearstick. The ICE volume control is another offender in this regard for those of us unfortunate enough not to have steering mounted volume controls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Myth Busted on a P10 Nissan Primera Handle on right cap on left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

AudiChris wrote: »
    I just got this in an email, I haven't had the chance to check it out, but it sounds fairly plausible...

Did you know about this, is it true?
    In a world full of norman doors, the idea that all the car designers had adopted this convenient standard without telling anybody seems too good to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Nope, it's bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

noblestee wrote: »
    just checked-
    VW Golf - Correct
    Peugeot 307 - Correct
    Sante Fe - Wrong - but then again thats still got right hand side indicators and left hand side wipers... Crazy Koreans

my da's santa fe has an arrow beside the pump that does this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

AudiChris wrote: »
    If your filler cap is on the left, the handle will be on the left? If your filler cap is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo). It is that simple!

I thought it was the other way round, i.e. the pump handle will be on the right if your filler cap is on the left - makes more sense (to me anyway) as you would be at the right side of the pump if your car's filler is on the left. It would make it correct for my car ('98 Fiesta) and several others here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just buy a classic Jag

There is one on each side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

doesnt work on my 2005 avensis :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

works on the opel but not the volvo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

deRanged wrote: »
    mazda6 has the cap on the left, mazda3 has the cap on the right.

Maybe the 3 is too close to it's Focus cousin to keep the Mazda tradition!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

mickdw wrote: »
    I often park the opposite side at the petrol pump for the simple reason that if you dont, you end up leaving an amount of petrol in the hose as it rests on the ground.

The pumps calibration is from the delivery nozzle and it takes into account the amount of fuel in the hose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

tis true on the passat .....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Alfa GT and new model MINI cooper both correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Alfa GTV, Nissan Almera GTI, Mitsubishi GTO - All wrong

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

steve06 wrote: »
    Nissan Almera GTI

Do you not have a small arrow on the top left pointing to the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,937 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My Kia Pro'ceed has an arrow pointing to the filler, so does my mothers Toyota Auris.

antodeco wrote: »
    Do you not have a small arrow on the top left pointing to the left?
    at the petrol gauge? Don't think so, I was just looking at the direction of the petrol pump, I'll have a look...

well it's not true http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/icon.asp

and I just double checked checked my cars, 2 of them have the cap on the right and 1 has the cap on the left... all pumps point to the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My pump faces the wrong way, but there is an arrow at top of it pointing left!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was just telling my girlfriend this yesterday as I was pulling up at the filling station. The pump handle on the dash meter is to the right on my Volvo S40 and and I pulled up to the pump on my right.
    Got out of the car only to discover the my cap is on the left side of my car... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

biko wrote: »
    I was just telling my girlfriend this yesterday as I was pulling up at the filling station. The pump handle on the dash meter is to the right on my Volvo S40 and and I pulled up to the pump on my right.
    Got out of the car only to discover the my cap is on the left side of my car... :(

Haha!

Advertisement