Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for Pramerica

Options
  • 13-11-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

Contemplating a move home to Donegal (fingers crossed) and wondering if anyone could give me the lowdown on this company? Nice to work for? Anything to be aware of before commiting?

PM if you fancy,

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭neighbours

I live in the area and hear they are great to work for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 movinghome

Thanks for the reply neighbours,

Would love to make the move home, so hard to get a job though!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭neighbours

Its hard enought o get a job around here my daughter moved home from Dublin so we are job hunting .Pramerica have their own website and there are some jobs advertised on it, otherwise check out the recruitment sites in letterkenny. Best of luck on the job front and sure keep in mind there is no where like home:)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My girlfriend used to work for Pramerica, and said it was a great place to work in. If anything, the only thing she didn't like too much was working American hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They have a high turnover rate which says a lot. I'd be concerned id commiting to a mortgage there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

applied for job, does anyone know the entry level salary there? asks what your salary expectations are, dont want to put to much or undersell myself!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

What role did you apply for ?
    What's your experience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

customer service rep
    no experience fetac level 5 in information processing!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i'd say you'd be looking at 16 to 20 grand a year. I'm working down the hill in Pacificare and that seems to be roughly the base rate and can't see to much difference in the 2 places. you'll probably get a bonus after 6 months and then again after a year in there if you get it. I wish you the very best of luck though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

They have a high turnover rate which says a lot. I'd be concerned id commiting to a mortgage there.

why do they have a high turnover rate? that is usually a very bad sign. I see they are looking for people agaian but this would put me off applying

• Advertisement

is it considered a good place to work?

They seem to take people more on a contract basis than a full time basis, had few mates in there that only got 8 months or so before they got canned.

danniemcq wrote: »
    They seem to take people more on a contract basis than a full time basis, had few mates in there that only got 8 months or so before they got canned.

and they had no chance of being taken on again later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I worked for them and they weren't too bad to work for as large multi nationals go. The turn over rate, I reckon, is down to a couple of things: 1. Working US hours in Ireland - doesn't suit everyone.
    2. They are based in Letterkenny - there's nothing wrong with Letterkenny (I loved it) but a lot of people move there and realise it's not for them and head back to Dublin.
    I left for a job in Cork where I wanted to be.
    You can PM me if you have any other questions.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I worked for them and they weren't too bad to work for as large multi nationals go. The turn over rate, I reckon, is down to a couple of things: 1. Working US hours in Ireland - doesn't suit everyone.
    2. They are based in Letterkenny - there's nothing wrong with Letterkenny (I loved it) but a lot of people move there and realise it's not for them and head back to Dublin.
    I left for a job in Cork where I wanted to be.
    You can PM me if you have any other questions.

so is your offical working time in line with US hours or do you just have to stay late in the evenings? I worked at a US multi before and you were supposed to start at 9 but your US boss would often schedule meetings which started at 6 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

2 threads on the same topic are now merged.

Apologies if one or two of the posts are a bit mixed up. They will make sense from here on.

mike kelly wrote: »
    and they had no chance of being taken on again later on?
    I'm sure they had a chance i've just not had any mates working in there after the first time.

I have remembered though i have one mate thats been there for a fair few years now.

I guess it just depends on why you were hired. no harm in asking at interview
    muffler wrote: »
    Apologies if one or two of the posts are a bit mixed up. They will make sense from here on.
    that'll be a first for a Donegal thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

mike kelly wrote: »
    so is your offical working time in line with US hours or do you just have to stay late in the evenings? I worked at a US multi before and you were supposed to start at 9 but your US boss would often schedule meetings which started at 6 pm

It depends on the team your working with, some people work normal Irish hours, others worked US time starting around 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

What would be the starting pay for an IT graduate at pramerica ?

all would depend on what job you are doing up there.

eg a lawyer forced to work in a chipper will only get minimum wage. The company is very big up there so like i said it all depends on the job you get and its role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

I worked there for a year back in 06. They were fine to work for. Hours weren't great as someone else on here stated. I was in mutual funds dept. Usually started at 3pm and finished at 11pm or did 5pm until 1am.
    Intersting phone calls with some of the Americans. Had a caller ask me if i knew John......they didnt know his surname but they met him years ago when he was working in America. Caller said "he was a really nice man, liked his beer though"". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slainte_23

If youre an IT bod there are other companies in Letterkenny, Sita always looking for IT people, good place to work afaik.

Advertisement