Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Board or not??

Options
  • 13-11-2008 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for some advice as I dont know what is the right thing to do.We rescued a lovely labrador about 8-10 weeks ago.He is about two years old and a real pet of a dog and being a typical lab loves his comforts,food and kisses and hugs!!!
    We are due to go on holiday next week and therein lies the problem.Should we put him into kennels or leave him at home.If left at home he would be out from 8am-18.30pm mon-fri,but on the upside he would be in at night and get his hugs and kisses etc from my daughter,also he would have company at the weekends.The flip side of the coin is we put him into kennels but I am worried how he will react given that we really don't know his past history.We don't want him to think he is being dumped again.We are in North Dublin City and do not have anyone to petsit during the week nor have I been able to find anyone suitable.
    Sorry for the long rant but this is reall killing me and I am only short of cancelling hols!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemisspiggy

I have a girl visit my dog during the day for an hours walk/play/belllyrubs etc as my dog is left alone from 8.30am to 4pm Monday to Friday. I am in West Dublin but I'm sure there would be a dog walking service near you too. It costs me é70 per week and is worth every cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

I would love someone like that I could depend on but have yet to find him/her.I am looking though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

If it was me, I think I'd board the doggy while I was away. It will be a v. long day for him on his own otherwise, and as you have said, you don't know his history. Maybe he would get distressed being alone so much.

At least if he is in the Kennels, there will be someone keeping an eye on him all the time. He might love the company of the other dogs (my friend's dog absolutely loves going into kennels and making new doggy friends).

I'm sure he will settle into a good kennels quite quickly as he sounds like an easy going kinda dog.

There have been threads in the past from people recommending good kennels and boarding places - do a search and you might feel better about having to put him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemisspiggy

If you decide to kennel, I use a place that has cage-free boarding as I wouldn't want my dog kept in a cage of any sort for two weeks. I can pm you the details if you want. She puts the dogs (the ones that get on together) in a large heated room/building with lots of beds for them to choose from and then has a 1-acre fenced in run for them to play in during the day. She also brings them on walks too if they still have energy left.

In the summer I had to leave my dog there for three weeks and she loved every second of it. She's a smaller dog so was in a heated room with ten other cocker, cavalier, terrier type dogs and she had a ball.

Advertisement