Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend needs help

Options
  • 13-11-2008 2:11pm

Hi, posting on behalf of a friend.

My friend is living in a flat where there are four people renting. One of these people is on rent allowance.

However it appears that the landlady has only declared that there are three people there and the rent inspector is coming along tomorrow.

One of the housemates wants someone to 'disappear' and my friend is wondering what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

What's a 'rent inspector'?

I imagine the advice from this board in general will be to rat out the landlady and take solace in the fact that if she illegally evicts them there'll be a massive cash windfall after they take her to the PRTB, but that may not be practical if you wnd up having to move....

Could the 4th person just be there "temporarily"?

Dunno, my friend doesn't know what to do.

Rent inspector is coming to check on the person receiving rent allowance it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ste.phen wrote: »

I imagine the advice from this board in general will be to rat out the landlady and take solace in the fact that if she illegally evicts them there'll be a massive cash windfall after they take her to the PRTB,

You know it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

AFAIK, the rent inspector from social welfare just wants to know that the claimant is actually living inthe place he's claiming rent for, and that the amount of rent is normal for that kind of a place.
    The rent inspector doesn't tend to be interested in reporting anybody to the PTRB.
    AFAIK!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like the apartment is for 3 people, and the landlord has the 4th in a non-bedroom/office. Lock all your bedroom doors, and watch TV in the sitting room. Whoever gets the shortest straw can be a friend over to watch TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement