Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all DIY experts - what's the best way

Options
  • 13-11-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi, i recently moved into a 2 bed apartment. One of the bedrooms is located downstairs while the other bedroom is located upstairs overlooking the sitting room.

As you can imagine this doesn't leave much room for privacy as the upstairs bedroom is pretty much in the sitting room. This also means that there is no sound barrier what so ever.

I need to temporarily partition the upstairs bedroom from the sitting room while focusing a lot of attention on sound proofing.

However, i have one major problem. I am renting the apartment which means that i do not want to damage the apartment in any way. I need to create a temporary partition that can be removed when my lease is up without leaving any damage or major markings behind.

Please find photos attached

1. from the bedroom
    2. where i need the partition to fit
    3. from the sitting room (looking up)

99196986sa3.jpg

1partitionedge9.jpg

99802055lx7.jpg

All and as many ideas as possible welcomed, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Sheets of 9 mm ply from your local builder's providers. Cut it to shape, and fix it to the bannister rails with white electrical cable ties. Paint it white with emulsion (before fitting it). Not particularly decorative, but it might solve your problem;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Quilts prove good sound & heat insulation, in your situation.

Maybe some sort of 2 x 2 frame made to each shape, help in place as described above. Use offcuts of carpet cut in 4 inch strips, to cover outer frame - this will allow you to "friction" fit frame into ope without damaging paintwork!

Ply off frame or slab with plasterboard. Stuff quilts into frame or use frame to hand quilts. Maybe a clamp could be used to hold frames to each side of column.

Main thing is to improve sound insulation without marking walls or banister.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

you will have to fix something to the walls so there will be some repairs when lease is up. this could be a few screw holes which could be filled and touched up with paint. how much you're willing to spend is another thing. and do you want light. you could fix ply as other poster said but will look like terrible, but cheapest route, would be an eyesore.

you could use clear poly carbonate sheets. (like plastic glass). cut out four pieces to shape. put wood strips to wall with a few brads or screws, fit sheets in place and hold in with a few more wood strips. it'll cost you a few hundred, so probably not what you want. and you'd have a job on your hands if you're not too handy with the tools, but if done right, would look great, with little mess to fix up when you're leaving. it would also maintain the look of the apartment, but anything you do, could land you in hot water if the landlord saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Not to cheap but nice to the eye use 12mm toughned glass in 25mm track with a silicone bed in the track now that would look nice remember you have to live with it

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks guys, i'l let you know how i get on and post pics up in a couple of days (weeks, months :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 royob

Get yourself a quiter girlfriend instead of a screamer and save yourself some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You have no chance without causeing damage that will cost you imo. Move to a new apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you will not be able to construct anything worthwhile if you can not damage the floor or ceiling. in my opinion.

Advertisement