Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Briens Sandwich Bars: 1 meat and 3 fillings rip off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Are you all Stupid or something?
    You want something extra in you sandwich but dont want to pay for it?
    I dont know of any other business that would be expected to do this.
    Imagine all those extra bits of cheese you want for free...now imagine thousands of people a week asking for "extra cheese"....o Briens wouldnt be in business long would they...
    Cheese costs them money.....so it costs you money
    I guess if you dont like it/cant afford it then go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hey take it easy man!

We are just sayin that 7euro is a bit much for 2euro worth of sambo.
    Its unjustifable!
    Cheese does cost time money but it costs them cheese prices not gold prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 booah

a bit off topic but I made a U turn from O'briens to Quiznos earlier tonight thinking I wouldn't get ripped off as much. I ordered a large honey bacon club (or something), flashed my student card ;) and it was still 7.80!! It's never more than 5.xx for footlong in subway which i find fresher and bigger

booah wrote: »
    a bit off topic but I made a U turn from O'briens to Quiznos earlier tonight thinking I wouldn't get ripped off as much. I ordered a large honey bacon club (or something), flashed my student card ;) and it was still 7.80!! It's never more than 5.xx for footlong in subway which i find fresher and bigger
    Daylight robbery!:eek::eek::eek:

I mean, cheese is a filling. A standard filling! End Of Story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Are you all Stupid or something?
    You want something extra in you sandwich but dont want to pay for it?
    I dont know of any other business that would be expected to do this.
    Imagine all those extra bits of cheese you want for free...now imagine thousands of people a week asking for "extra cheese"....o Briens wouldnt be in business long would they...
    Cheese costs them money.....so it costs you money
    I guess if you dont like it/cant afford it then go elsewhere.

Obviously you didn't read the thread correctly .... so maybe we are not the ones who are stupid .... :rolleyes:

they didn't ask for extra cheese, they asked for cheese as part of the "1 meat + 3 filling" .. and they wanted to charge more.
    Nothing extra about that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to get breakfast rolls in a centra near me. They charged per filling, so I would just get bacon. They used to put loads on since it would look empty otherwise, while if I had gotten say egg, sausage, pudding & bacon, I might only have gotten 1 slice, maybe 2 small ones, I used to get around 4 by just getting bacon.

Pizza places can be a rip off with their extras, or conversely they can be cheap. e.g. sometimes the amount of pepperoni you get as an extra would cost way more in a supermarket, but it is stupid that sweetcorn costs the same price as an extra. You might get 10cent worth of sweetcorn for the same price as €2-3 worth of cured meats (which can be €25-30/kg in supermarkets)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I mean, cheese is a filling. A standard filling! End Of Story!

This isn't new with O'Briens, they've been saying 'cheese is extra' for 5 years now. I know because I always give them an "and what?" look.

I've no problem with it, think their sambos are lovely. The one around on Pearse St give a free drink and bag of crisps with theirs, not bad for around €4.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what I hate about o'briens (apart from the 95c they charge you to eat in and sit on their desperatey uncomfortable looking chairs) is that the minumum charge is for meat and 2 fillings (and a few other places are the same)

the one time I was there I only wanted a ham sandwich and was forced to pay for 2 fillings I didnt even get

what I do now is go into supervalu or dunnes, buy a bread roll & 4 slices of billy roll, make my own for about €1.40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I know this is more about O'Briens then anywhere else but I got a roll in Dunnes in Kilkenny today and they have now started charging the same for a half-roll as a full roll. So basically if you get a large roll with meat & 3 fillings it'll cost for €3.49, but if you get one if the small ones, it costs the same!

Now I know they're trying to get people to eat the bigger rolls as they're better value but I don't like big rolls, I only want a half one, and I'm not paying €3.49 for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

I was in O'Briens about 6 weeks ago and was charged €5.55 for a sandwich on brown bread, cheese chicken coleslaw and a bag of crisps. After getting back to my desk i noticed the coleslaw was gone off and stank. Back to O'Briens with me and yer man turned white behind the counter, beconed at his colleague to remove the bowl of coleslaw from the deli.
    THEN he asked me do i want the same fillings in my replacement sandwich... i said no i want a refund and he said they dont do refunds. After about 5 mins of fighting my case he eventuallly gave me a refund.
    Not been back since and never will... shivvers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have been on all end of this spectrum with O'Briens.

I used to work for a company whom sold them the fillings.

I currently work for a company whom sell them the equipment and the rates are public knowledge(ESB, GAS) as are wage rates.

I have also eaten there at full price.

You would have to be off your rocker to eat there.

The mark up is extraordinary. However in the retailers defence the O'Briens Franchise is one of the most expensive in the country so a lot of the money is handed over to O'Briends themselves.

They will be hit during this recessionary times, no doubt.

For the cheaper sandwhichs head to a store with seating. Half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

What do you expect with O Brien's though? They are ridiculously overpriced and have counted cheese as a meat/main for ever. A lot of sandwich places do that though, it's not just them. Loads of Spar's and Centra's do it as well.

Tis for that very reason that if I wanted to buy a sandwich, I'd buy it in one of the Spar's that have a set price for a sandwich and you can get anything you want on it.

Ah...sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

I get a breakfast sandwich in obriens in finglas most mornings ,Toasted bacon and sausage tomato sandwich and a large cappucino sit in for eur 5.70 and get to read their newspaper .Seen a programme recently on channel 4 about the sandwich industry and subway had the highest level of salt found in their foot long roll than any other sandwich company in the uk ,In fairness i still think we should support an irish company like obriens rather than starbucks and subways etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Neonlight wrote: »
    I get a breakfast sandwich in obriens in finglas most mornings ,Toasted bacon and sausage tomato sandwich and a large cappucino sit in for eur 5.70 and get to read their newspaper .Seen a programme recently on channel 4 about the sandwich industry and subway had the highest level of salt found in their foot long roll than any other sandwich company in the uk ,In fairness i still think we should support an irish company like obriens rather than starbucks and subways etc.

Sure all the Subways are Franchise operated.

The profits go to Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

true but its still an American corp that owns master franchise,with over 30,000 outlets worldwide thats alot of franchise fees going back into the american economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Trampas

Also I notice about it that it is nearly toasted by standard so they get the extra €1 out of you.

But if you don't like the place then don't go there. Nobody forces anyone into the places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

O'Briens have been doing this since at least 2002 in my local one so it's not new.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've only been to an O'Briens once.

I had a fresh turkey sandwich which consisted of a slice of the turkey equivalent of picnic ham.

The coffee had to be sent back twice to get some sort of strength to it.

After that I vowed never to go back and haven't (thanks in no-end to the prices).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

what I hate about o'briens (apart from the 95c they charge you to eat in and sit on their desperatey uncomfortable looking chairs) is that the minumum charge is for meat and 2 fillings (and a few other places are the same)

the one time I was there I only wanted a ham sandwich and was forced to pay for 2 fillings I didnt even get

what I do now is go into supervalu or dunnes, buy a bread roll & 4 slices of billy roll, make my own for about €1.40

That used to do my head in, we used to go there for breakfast every morning in work and if you wanted toast you had to pay for meat & 2 filings :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I got a sandwich from O'Briens once. It was the scabbiest, most rip off rubbish I've ever seen. (Something like €6.50 for a nearly empty wrap.)

I e-mailed the store with a complaint. No answer.

I'll never buy from there again. It AMAZES me how that particular store (Ballsbridge) always has a queue when there are way cheaper (Bon Espresso, Spar) and way nicer (Hemingways, Rolys) very close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Trampas wrote: »
    Also I notice about it that it is nearly toasted by standard so they get the extra €1 out of you.

But if you don't like the place then don't go there. Nobody forces anyone into the places.

I heard of someone who got a chicken sanwich with mayo in it and they toasted it
    heating up mayo is a serious health risk, and any place that tries sell such a sandwich should be closed down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hello, people, reality check!
    O'Briens are not there for your convenience. Dunnes neither. If you don't want to buy their stuff don't. Nobody is forcing you. They are in business, and the business of business is generating income. Make as much as you can while you can.

As for the cheese is a filling nonsense, I presume you mean filling to mean other than the generally accepted meaning, which is filling as something to bulk out the sandwich - like foam in a cushion. Cheese is an expensive product, and for those not wishing to acknowledge it having common ground with ham, et al, usually cheddar cheese uses rennet as a setting agent. If you have to look it up be warned you may never eat cheese again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hello, people, reality check!
    O'Briens are not there for your convenience. Dunnes neither. If you don't want to buy their stuff don't. Nobody is forcing you. They are in business, and the business of business is generating income. Make as much as you can while you can.

If you read the posts in this thread, you'll see no one is saying O'Briens are expensive but they eat there anyway - they are saying O'Briens are expensive and that is why they'll never eat there again.

Big difference! :)

nipplenuts wrote: »
    As for the cheese is a filling nonsense, I presume you mean filling to mean other than the generally accepted meaning, which is filling as something to bulk out the sandwich - like foam in a cushion. Cheese is an expensive product, and for those not wishing to acknowledge it having common ground with ham, et al, usually cheddar cheese uses rennet as a setting agent. If you have to look it up be warned you may never eat cheese again :)

I think it is reasonable for "1 meat + 3 fillings" to mean exactly that - 1 meat and then three other items. They need to change their sign to read "1 meat or 1 cheese + 3 salad".

Regarding the cheese is expensive comment - have you ever bought an O'Briens sandwich. Expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Neonlight wrote: »
    true but its still an American corp that owns master franchise,with over 30,000 outlets worldwide thats alot of franchise fees going back into the american economy.

Could be wrong now, but aren't Subway actually Australian?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

boomerang wrote: »
    Could be wrong now, but aren't Subway actually Australian?

They're American. Google is your friend. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

O'Briens are ridiculously expensive and crap quality. In my local one, the staff are also quite rude. I once popped over to buy a sandwich and was told bluntly, ''No bread.''. :eek: I mean, sandwich shop with no bread? Seriously?

I avoid them like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

O'Briens sambos really are very very poor. None of the fillings taste fresh and the cheese tastes like rubber. I ordered the very same sandwich i often get in Fothergills (a fantastic deli with delicious fresh ingrediants and freshly baked bread) and was amazed to find it costed approx 6.75 in comparison to the 3.25 it costed me in Forthergills. They are everywhere though so people just go for the conveniance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I heard of someone who got a chicken sanwich with mayo in it and they toasted it
    heating up mayo is a serious health risk, and any place that tries sell such a sandwich should be closed down

:D What old wive's tale did you hear??
    Also apparently if you put the lettuce on before the tomato there's a chance you could get a heart attack.

I went into O' Brien's once, got a chicken sandwich and a tiny smoothie, came to over 10 euro, needless to say it was first and last time I went there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Regarding the cheese is expensive comment - have you ever bought an O'Briens sandwich. Expensive!

Never. I saw the price list :D

Advertisement