Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Briens Sandwich Bars: 1 meat and 3 fillings rip off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Completely off topic but what serious health risks?

I ALWAYS put mayo in my toasties.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Completely off topic but what serious health risks?

I ALWAYS put mayo in my toasties.

Bacteria naturally present in eggs, and egg products, multiply most efficiently at around 40 degrees centigrade. Its not dangerous to heat a sandwich with mayonaisse in it however, providing you intend to eat it promptly.

It would be dangerous to heat the sandwich- leave it for ages (for the bacteria to multiply) and then eat it. Even worse would be heating the sandwich during the preparation stage, then cooling (or even freezing it) and reheating in a microwave before eating it.........

Thank god for that.

I eat them straight away and normally burn the mouth off meself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Personally, I've never had a huge problem with food portions in O'Briens, but I do hate their chairs and tables (so uncomfortable) and their coffee (disgusting).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Trampas

my local O'Briens have an offer on for any reg sandwich and coffee for €5. So herself went in and got a couple of sandwhiches 1 meat and 3 salads and latte x 2 and found out it had cost me €14 (Take away so was down the road before I found out).

So mailed the manager when I got home and said he will give me a refund of €4 at that herself should have reminded the staff about the offer when buying the goods.

I replied back with that it is not up to the consumer to remind the staff of offers.

A regular sandwich is €3.95 and coffer €3.05

He replied with "I just need to point out to you that when a customer purchases a take away sandwich, my employee at the till relies on the customer to tell him/her what the order is, as it is not visible to them. That is the reason for a simple error like this."

I am very tended to send it on to all the local papers as it is not a Dublin branch or even in a main town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Trampas wrote: »
    my local O'Briens have an offer on for any reg sandwich and coffee for €5. So herself went in and got a couple of sandwhiches 1 meat and 3 salads and latte x 2 and found out it had cost me €14 (Take away so was down the road before I found out).

So mailed the manager when I got home and said he will give me a refund of €4 at that herself should have reminded the staff about the offer when buying the goods.

I replied back with that it is not up to the consumer to remind the staff of offers.

A regular sandwich is €3.95 and coffer €3.05

He replied with "I just need to point out to you that when a customer purchases a take away sandwich, my employee at the till relies on the customer to tell him/her what the order is, as it is not visible to them. That is the reason for a simple error like this."

I am very tended to send it on to all the local papers as it is not a Dublin branch or even in a main town

Typical Irish customer service - it's the customer who's wrong!

Ha ha I just remembered! A friend of mine went off to get two take away coffees from O'Brien's a few weeks ago. I cant drink normal coffee so asked her to get me Decaff.

She came back and told me she went to O'Brien's and that the girl didnt know what decaff coffee was and told her they didnt do it! :eek:

Its just made me hate them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Never. I saw the price list :D

I was in an office canteen last week where they have an O'Briens franchise. The guy I was with ordered a Shambo ( a shamrock shaped bread roll with meat and salad) a cup of tea and a packet of crisps - apparently it's not subsidised but they charge a reduced price which was €7.50 - how the hell could you afford to pay that every day for your lunch !!

Someone told me lately that they reckon they saved over €2500 by NOT buying a sandwich and a coffee for lunch every day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

i used to have to buy my bosses lunch there, she would give me the money and i'd go down. i was terrified every time because i never knew what price it would be.

it varied from 3-7 euro depending which extremly rude girl was at the till at the time!

since then i would never set foot in one.

josh59 wrote: »
    I was in an office canteen last week where they have an O'Briens franchise. The guy I was with ordered a Shambo ( a shamrock shaped bread roll with meat and salad) a cup of tea and a packet of crisps - apparently it's not subsidised but they charge a reduced price which was €7.50 - how the hell could you afford to pay that every day for your lunch !!

Someone told me lately that they reckon they saved over €2500 by NOT buying a sandwich and a coffee for lunch every day

wouldn't be in ibm out past blanc.

been there on dr and we get free everything. we go to town on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I heard of someone who got a chicken sanwich with mayo in it and they toasted it
    heating up mayo is a serious health risk, and any place that tries sell such a sandwich should be closed down
    How?

Loving the weekly giving out about sandwich shop thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

dudara wrote: »
    Personally, I've never had a huge problem with food portions in O'Briens, but I do hate their chairs and tables (so uncomfortable) and their coffee (disgusting).

I usually stick with their triple decker, rarely hungry after that :D but yesterday I saw their daily special was a toasted turkey shambo with cranberry sauce, sounded tasty so I went for it. Boy was I sorry! Daylight robbery at €5.90. The emphasis was on SHAM-bo, it was gone in 3 bites.
    NEVER again.

Never couldn't understand the shambo never looked like it would fill you up for the price compared with out sandwiches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

* A word of caution, Subway meats have been linked to a food poisoning outbreak that has recently reached across 120 different shops Ireland and England that has injured many and killed one.
    Source 1: http://www.uepengland.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=8886
    Source 2: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1043031/Sandwich-chain-Subway-linked-deadly-salmonella-outbreak.html
    Source 3: http://current.com/items/89183441/salmonella_scare_linked_to_subway_outlets.htm
    Source 4: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0808/food.html
    As well as reported by BBC, etc.

Subway (by far) by the way were selected on a recent BBC Watchdog special as one of the worst meat shops you could buy your meals from.
    I saw the actual programme.
    Others saw it too: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/forums/thread/509255.aspx

How they can to this conclusion was that they went around the shops and tested at random, their meats.
    It was found that their meats were of the compact variety.
    What this means is that the meat they supply you in your rolls, etc is taken from an animal - fair enough - but instead of using select sections as is normally done in supermarkets were they say what part of the animal you are getting, Subway, etc use every part of the animal including the brain, the penis and the rump (backside).
    They then get all those parts and chop them all up/mince them all together, then squash it down again into a flat shape again and form in into a roll to be later sliced at the shop.
    The report also found that the animals that are used are "bloated" animals.
    This means that rather than using animals that have been feed by natural process and feeds, the animals are given before they are killed, more quantities of water as part of their intake so that their body will be un-naturally bloated to make them fill out and appear to have higher meat content.
    In actual fact, the meat your then eventually get is of lower grade, have higher water content and not considered a natural product that your eating, taking into account the amount of "filler" added during the slice and dicing process.

I'm not a vegetarian, I just like eating quality food and meat of supermarket standard and know what I'm getting exactly.
    I wouldn't touch certain shop meats/sandwiches/rolls with a barge poll.

There's a lot to be said about seeing your roll bought in a more local shop, not a so called franchised trendy fast food outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they make chicken nuggets and many chicken burgers the same way but i would have thought that somewhere as popular as o'Briens would be using quality ingredients for their sandwiches? the local londis (Raths) do lovely homemade dinners and also real rolls and sandwiches with real meat for half the price of o'briens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 deepiojay

God almightly, they feed cows to make them bloated so they retain more water, nothing to do with the curing process then

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Biggins wrote: »
    * A word of caution, Subway meats have been linked to a food poisoning outbreak that has recently reached across 120 different shops Ireland and England that has injured many and killed one.
    Source 2: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1043031/Sandwich-chain-Subway-linked-deadly-salmonella-outbreak.html
    Source 3: http://current.com/items/89183441/salmonella_scare_linked_to_subway_outlets.htm

Subway (by far) by the way were selected on a recent BBC Watchdog special as one of the worst meat shops you could buy your meals from.

How they can to this conclusion was that they went around the shops and tested at random, their meats.
    What this means is that the meat they supply you in your rolls, etc is taken from an animal - fair enough - but instead of using select sections as is normally done in supermarkets were they say what part of the animal you are getting, Subway, etc use every part of the animal including the brain, the penis and the rump (backside).
    They then get all those parts and chop them all up/mince them all together, then squash it down again into a flat shape again and form in into a roll to be later sliced at the shop.
    This means that rather than using animals that have been feed by natural process and feeds, the animals are given before they are killed, more quantities of water as part of their intake so that their body will be un-naturally bloated to make them fill out and appear to have higher meat content.
    In actual fact, the meat your then eventually get is of lower grade, have higher water content and not considered a natural product that your eating, taking into account the amount of "filler" added during the slice and dicing process.

I'm not a vegetarian, I just like eating quality food and meat of supermarket standard and know what I'm getting exactly.

There's a lot to be said about seeing your roll bought in a more local shop, not a so called franchised trendy fast food outlet.
    It was the fault of their suppliers and not Subway themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

€4.15 for the smallest smoothie around :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

JP Liz wrote: »
    €4.15 for the smallest smoothie around :mad:

And I bet you paid that? instead of walking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Nothing wrong with a bit of anus at lunchtime.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Acacia wrote: »
    O'Briens are ridiculously expensive and crap quality. In my local one, the staff are also quite rude. I once popped over to buy a sandwich and was told bluntly, ''No bread.''. :eek: I mean, sandwich shop with no bread? Seriously?

I avoid them like the plague.

I can see that being funny... I work in a chocolate shop and am longing for the day I can say "Sorry, We're out!"

On topic, I'd go to the O'Briens on Grafton St, maybe, twice a month, usually on my lunch break on Saturdays. The same girl is there and she knows my sambo (triple decker, mayo and ballymaloe, chicken mayo and no tomato. an easy order! :P) and makes it with a smile.

Also, if you get the stamp-voucher thing ever time you buy a sambo its ~10% cheaper (get the eleventh free) and they give another 10% student discount.

The one on Westmoreland street gives a 25% discount to trinity students which would be awesome but for the hamilton end of college...

However, I also enjoy the 2€ chicken fillet rolls going around these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

She serves thousands of customers a month and you go twice a month and she remembers your order?
    Credit where credit is due man, I'd be writing a letter to management on this.

Hey she might get an assistant manager job out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Brods wrote: »
    I can see that being funny... I work in a chocolate shop and am longing for the day I can say "Sorry, We're out!"

If I went into a chocolate shop and there was no chocolate...I'd probably cry right there and then! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

I think she may be the manager, just get that vibe...

Valentine's day was a close call, no tears though. Last Easter however we ran out of Eggs and a dude had promised one to his kid so one of the girls working there sold him hers. He could have cried he was so grateful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

O Briens top of Dawson street :

Never go back in there , ever since the day i asked for a cheese filled bagette.

I get luch for myself and my workmate everyday,..have been for 10 years.

I asked for the roll with just cheese
    The deli hand got one slice of chees and sliced it into 3 slim segments , each segment the size of a kit-kat finger.
    He stretched the cheese the length of the dry bagette and requested 3.40 ( 7 years ago).

I replied that I'd be in trouble if i went back with a cheese roll in that state !! the cheddar was hardly visible and as thin as a rizla paper.
    He put another slice in and when i went to pay he charged me for "extra cheese".

They may have thought they were smart ripping me off to the tune of a few quid, .... but I reckon i may have put 3000 - 4000 euros through their till had i continued to buy lunch there.

It's great now, you cant walk down dawson street with being offered free coffee or discounted lunch's etc.

Also , O Briens have being putting up A4 photocopies of thier windows advertising "Now selling Ciggerettes".
    I dont think thats allowed is it ?

Been waiting to get that off my chest for 7 years now......

ahhhhh !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Also , O Briens have being putting up A4 photocopies of thier windows advertising "Now selling Ciggerettes".
    I dont think thats allowed is it ?

Pretty sure that would count as advertising tobacco products which is illegal in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Forget O'Briens, never impressed with their branch in Ennis, staff rude, food bland.

Insomnia have a great deal where you can purchase any coffee and choice of sandwich for €5.00. Better athmosphere, daily papers, wifi etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

This thread still going?

awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

I remember reading this post a couple of months ago and I haven't been back to Subway since.
    It was the bit about usint the penis that did really put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I stopped going in to O'Briens about 3/4 years ago. Just waaay to expensive.

And that extra charge to sit in really bothered me....

Advertisement