Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stairs

• 13-11-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi Guys

My blocklayer is due to start next week and I need to get a template for him to build a curved wall for the stairs to fit in. the cheapest quote i got so far for a curved stairs is 11,000. Is there anywhere anyone can recommend that could beat this price. :) as i cant get the template unless i put down a deposit. Any suggestions would be great except ones saying dont have a curved stairs haha :P

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Soldier wrote: »
    Hi Guys

My blocklayer is due to start next week and I need to get a template for him to build a curved wall for the stairs to fit in. the cheapest quote i got so far for a curved stairs is 11,000. Is there anywhere anyone can recommend that could beat this price. :) as i cant get the template unless i put down a deposit. Any suggestions would be great except ones saying dont have a curved stairs haha :P

you could do a concrete curved stairs for a lot less, timber costs a fortune...

a modern design would suit a conc stairs well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Was the stairs not designed on your drawings? If your designer designed the stairs to TGD part K then use the radius and dimensions thats on the plans that way any curved stairs will fit and you can keep pricing as the blocklayer is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

That makes alot of sense Slig. Careful setting out should result in the desired radius.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I agree, surely your blocklayer can set it out, its amazing what you can do with a nail and a piece of sting and a can of spray paint or chalk!!! Should save a few bob too, the stairs people can take site measurements and don't have to make a template!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

If you want to go totally mad you can do great things with glue, polystrene & a hot wire.

Its like being 5 years old in playschool again :D

Seriously thought, using a hot wire to shape polystrene is really useful & costs buttons !

Have a google for "hot wire modelling" to get started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Actually to take it a step further the correct order should actually be.
    1. Build the wall
    2. Take template for stairs from wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

No6 wrote: »
    I agree, surely your blocklayer can set it out, its amazing what you can do with a nail and a piece of sting and a can of spray paint or chalk!!! Should save a few bob too, the stairs people can take site measurements and don't have to make a template!!!

I have never heard of a blocklayer setting out a stairs.

For a curved stairs the way most joiners do this is by making up a timber stud wall (template)in the joinery the same as the curved wall to be built onto. or if the stairs is free standing the radius of one of the strings. Then the timber is bent around this to form a string either by lamination or steaming.

As for a concrete stairs this is done onsite with form work and their is a similar amount of work. Because all dimensions are in a curved plane they have to be done by someone confident of their ability as it is not standard joinery this is the reason it costs so much.

This is probably the hardest thing any joinery will be asked to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Soldier

Thanks a million guys. ya its something that has to be right in the house or it will mess up the whole front area. maybe i need to shop around a bit more. can anyone recommend any places in the west. :)

oh and the curved stairs is on the drawing but the architect wants another 250 for the stairs drawing im just trying to save where i can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Soldier wrote: »
    ...the curved stairs is on the drawing but the architect wants another 250 for the stairs drawing im just trying to save where i can.

Wow, I wouldn't hold back on this one soldier, it's an important area, and full stairs details for 250 is good, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Wow, I wouldn't hold back on this one soldier, it's an important area, and full stairs details for 250 is good, imo.
    Wouldn't be too cheap if he draws an arc and states - "stairs to manufacturer's design/spec" :eek:. Its been known to happen.

Soldier, I would ask him what exactly he proposes to do for you for the additional €250

• Advertisement

Is it just me! If I designed this house I'd have to design the stairs - no sketch but proper scaled treads, archs etc. I'd be curious to see how the curved wall would look. Why hasn't your Designer done this?

Get details of what exactly the stairs drawings will show. Will you be able to set out the blockwork wall from this drawing?

Set out the wall first on site - you might want to increase the curve on site!
    Then get the joiner to take a profile and build the stairs in his workshop. Don't stop the build over the stairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Just be super careful that a. your drawing is correct (I'm sure architect will have it spot on, but I know of two instances - me and my BIL - where stairs on drawings wouldn't fit when the time came...not an architect though...local technician guy...anyhooo) and b. you haven't made any other changes to plan e.g. ceiling height, etc. Again, one of the problems we had was putting in high ceilings meant that we needed a landing on stairs which ended up being a turn in the stairs, etc. A curved stairs would seem even more difficult and something to definitely get right. I think €250 extra for a stairs design from architect would be the way to go...but check first what exactly you'll be getting from him. I can pm you a couple of joiners in Galway if you are interested in pricing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Calluna wrote: »
    I can pm you a couple of joiners in Galway if you are interested in pricing around.

I'd be interested in getting those joiners details. Please PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Calluna wrote: »
    Just be super careful that a. your drawing is correct (I'm sure architect will have it spot on, but I know of two instances - me and my BIL - where stairs on drawings wouldn't fit when the time came...not an architect though...local technician guy...anyhooo) and b. you haven't made any other changes to plan e.g. ceiling height, etc. Again, one of the problems we had was putting in high ceilings meant that we needed a landing on stairs which ended up being a turn in the stairs, etc. A curved stairs would seem even more difficult and something to definitely get right. I think €250 extra for a stairs design from architect would be the way to go...but check first what exactly you'll be getting from him. I can pm you a couple of joiners in Galway if you are interested in pricing around.

Hardly seems the technicians fault if you dont build to his drawings and yet expect somthing like the stairs to fit.

While anyone who designs a building does their best to make sure everything will fit and work on the ground there are always differences which occur when the building takes place. This is why the joiners and window manufacturers should always do their own measurements before manufacture. and not rely on the building to exactly match the drawing.

By changing the ceiling height this changes the setting out of a stairs and if it was origonaly designed for a tight space it may not fit.

I agree, well said topcatcbr! All changes in ceiling height has implications on the stairs design.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Soldier

HI Guys

thanks for all the advice. took it up and rang around some concrete stairs guys found a man who can do curved stairs and a price of 3200 :):):)

Advertisement