Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NEW ENGINGE STUFF!

Options
  • 13-11-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

If you change the engine in your car, do you have to notify the tax office or heritage,transport thingy?!
    It's the same size engine so just wondering..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Can you elaborate please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

interesting topic - im interested in this - what if you change to a bigger engine.

If you changed to a bigger one i'd imagine you have to tell the insurance company and tax man for road tax purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Tells wrote: »
    If you changed to a bigger one i'd imagine you have to tell the insurance company and tax man for road tax purposes

I wonder if the same applies for a DeCat on a car on the emmissions based tax system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Think about it, if you tax disc shows the CCs and costs €xxx amount one day and you change the engine for the same one the next day, the disc and costs remain unchanged.

If you have and accident you're screwed!
    When you go to NCT it you're screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Insurance companies vary. Don't go on "ah sure its the same engine size, it won't matter" mentality.

Any modification to your car can invalidate your policy if you don't inform your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I wonder if the same applies for a DeCat on a car on the emmissions based tax system.

Your CO2 bracket is solely based on what the car's cert of conformity states when it's manufactured. Even if you modified the car prior to registering it in Ireland, its classification will not change. This is mentioned somewhere on the revenue.ie site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Hmmmm was thinking of a DeCat pipe so would love to know for sure. But then again my tax is based on engine size so shouldn't be a problem, except for the environment!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yes you do have to notify the Dept of the Environment and Local Government if you change the engine. There is a part of your ownership book where it lists the engine number, and you are told on the ownership book that if you make any changes to the vehicle - colour, chassis, engine - to return the log book with details of the changes. They'll adjust their record of your vehicle, and post out a new log book with the new engine number.

Form FR111 is the form you use for change of vehicle particulars :
    http://www.limerick.ie/MotorTax/MotorTaxandDrivingLicencesForms/Thefile,3270,en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I have an old type 'log book' for my car and it says in the notes that if the engine is changed that the D.O.E. must be informed. The engine number of the car is written on the logbook

Thanks Ned78, that's what i've been looking for all day.

Advertisement