Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 730d - Thoughts and value.

Options
  • 13-11-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Look at this beauty.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/7-Series/200846190828413/advert
    Would this be underpowered? It looks like an unbelievably nice place to be for someone who does a fair bit of mileage and doesn't really need to hare about the place. Look at what you get for the money... someone's taken a massive sting on this one.

Running costs exorbitant or just 'high'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

ide say its dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I didn't think there was 8 digits in Dublin numbers.........

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 E38-beemer

that sounds a bit dodge mate, the car looks absolutely savage but 23 grand for a 2 year old 730d, no chance!! If thats for real, I'm buying it tomorrow :D as i've a 10 year old 728i E38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Look at this beauty

Get your eyes checked! :P

But yeah it definitely seems like one of those scam ads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Smells like a scam...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Ok - we've established it's a scam.

Having said that - would concerns that the 730d would be slightly underpowered be valid?

i've a 728i V6 that weighs almost 2 tonnes and it goes when you want it to go, especially in sport mode. There is normally a little lag in reaction for about 1 second and then it just kicks in. I'd imagine the 2.8 petrol and 730d are similar in performance. I've made some savage overtaking manouvers in the 728 on the road to galway. When you want it to go, it goes, but its no M class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

E38-beemer wrote: »
    i've a 728i V6

No you don't..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

i've a 728i V6

Nooooo they aint V6s they're a straight 6 petrol or diesel,much smoother than any V6 could ever be.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Its not underpowered by any means. Under 8seconds to 60mph.
    I'd look at a 735 or 745 if I was you. Yeah its petrol and 10mpg less but you'll more than make up for it in the initial savings as they are very good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That price definitely isn't right, it would be if it was a 2002 or 2003 and even then it would be a bargain. 730d has plenty of poke and will more than likely be what I get when I sell my 728i in about 18 months.

sorry i meant straight-6, you know what i mean. great jammer.
    Anyway go for the 730d if you like it. All 7's are great! Plus the fuel economy would be a bit better in 730d than any other 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ok - we've established it's a scam.

Having said that - would concerns that the 730d would be slightly underpowered be valid?

No, it'd be competent. Not fast, but grand. A little slower than a 530d, so if one of those is OK for you then this should be fine.

What do you find you get E38-Beamer? I average about 22MPG but i'm nearly always in town (Dundalk), average speed is about 33kmph. On the motorway I get about 32-33MPG.

good point climate, about the savings of buying a 735 or 745 offset against the higher fuel costs. Never copped that. Deffo better prices on the 735 or 745's

Voodoo, I get the exact same as you in terms of MPG. 20-22 in Dublin commuting and 30-32 on road trips.

Nice one, not bad figures, the americans can't believe it compared to their 740s. :)

Nice one, not bad figures, the americans can't believe it compared to their 740s. :)

They usually quote american MPG which is around 20% less than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Slightly off topic but I always thought the 7 Series diesel was more expensive second hand than the petrol version so buying say a 740i would make more sense since it was cheaper to buy than an equivilant 730d.

These seem to buck that trend:

06 730d - €50k
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/7-Series/730d-SE/200840190244852/advert

06 740i - €50k
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/7-Series/740i/200840190232157/advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Carzone could do better at deleting scam ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bazz26 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I always thought the 7 Series diesel was more expensive second hand than the petrol version so buying say a 740i would make more sense since it was cheaper to buy than an equivilant 730d.

These seem to buck that trend:

06 730d - €50k
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/7-Series/730d-SE/200840190244852/advert

06 740i - €50k
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/7-Series/740i/200840190232157/advert

That's because the 740i was more expensive when new. So the petrol has depreciated more in that case, and will continue to do so. Wait another 2 years for those cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The way I see it, the whole point of a big saloon is that it be effortless. A big engine is an integral part of that - if I were limited to a 3.0 diesel I think i'd have it in a 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Biro wrote: »
    That's because the 740i was more expensive when new. So the petrol has depreciated more in that case, and will continue to do so. Wait another 2 years for those cars!

Yeah, in this case the 730d makes more financial sense, not that I have €50k to waste on a car. :)

On a related note, the new 7-series is out on Saturday, have to say i'm a fan! Not a bangle butt to be seen.

Anan1 wrote: »
    The way I see it, the whole point of a big saloon is that it be effortless. A big engine is an integral part of that - if I were limited to a 3.0 diesel I think i'd have it in a 3 series.

These are 230Bhp engines and propel the car to near 150mph. Hardly limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Voodoo, I get the exact same as you in terms of MPG. 20-22 in Dublin commuting and 30-32 on road trips.

Me too. '96 735i V8 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

These are 230Bhp engines and propel the car to near 150mph. Hardly limited.
    A big car like that needs 300bhp, IMO.

That's excellent for the V8, so no real difference?

In economy that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If you can afford 20 mpg, then I'd be having V8 petrol noise over diesel clatter any day of the week.

The 730d is hardly slow though, and will be a lot more saleable than a 740i/750i ever will be. It should better 30 mpg in mixed driving.

It DOES sound like a diesel though; there is no mistaking the diesel clatter present at idle, even when warm you'll know what fuel it's using.

Otherwise it is one of the most surprising cars I've ever gone in, I was really expecting to hate it(because I don't like the look of it), but it amazed me with its competence; if you can get over the looks, then it is a great car. I'll even admit that the styling has grown on me over the time, but the new F01 7 series is a far nicer car to look at, inside and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

OP. did you make contact?

Advertisement