Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 730d - Thoughts and value.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Nah it's bogus - as someone commented above, there is an extra digit in the number. Didn't bother the email contact figured what's the point.

A mate is in the market with a budget of about 25k. He used to own a spanking new 318ci but had to scale back a few years ago. He was looking at 320d's and 520d's so I just sent him a selection of E60 525, 530d's for consideration.

7 Series not really a runner at that money. Disappointed I didn't recognise the scamness of it immediately but it was just a quick scan really. I thought jeez this recession is really biting, Irish people are so scared of 'big'cars that you can get a 730d for a song this weather...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's excellent for the V8, so no real difference?

In economy that is.

On big heavy cars, it is more the sort of driving and the weight of the vehicle that determines the MPG, not so much the engine size.

On my previous BMW, an E34 5 series with a 3.0l V8 petrol, I did about 20MPG on average. But that included a daily commute from Lucan into Dublin city centre (2.5h to cover 20 miles)

The 7-series is at least 250kg heavier, but I only had an occasional commute into the city centre. My average over 4 years was 21MPG (would have been much better on long trips, were it not for my extremely heavy overtaking foot :D)

Even in my old 4.7l V8 petrol Porsche, I get about 20MPG mixed, but spirited driving will get me nowhere near that :D
    Irish people are so scared of 'big'cars

They are! An ageing 7-series (even more so than any of its competitors) represents fantastic value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Anan1 wrote: »
    A big car like that needs 300bhp, IMO.

All the petrol variants have near to 300bhp as a min, but it's all about the torque on a car like that, you ain't going to be screaming along at the top of the rev range - low end grunt and the 3.0d has wallops of it. #

Was in a 735i and it was a bit of a mover - 272bhp, only concern (for me)was that the engine is a carry over from the previous model, I would prefer the 740i, but the 3.0d is the one to have when these things get cheap. Speaking of which, if you could afford one of these things new, why would you put a moderate diesel engine in it - surely you can afford the juice to run it and have a lovely V8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Nah it's bogus - as someone commented above, there is an extra digit in the number. Didn't bother the email contact figured what's the point.

Perhaps I'm naive, but what's bogus about it? Pop the reg in to cartell and it says it's a 730d. It is very cheap I have to say, but if there's a scam, what's the scam?

Back on topic, I'd love a 730d myself, but what about the running costs outside of fuel. If things break, are they expensive to fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

AlanD wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm naive, but what's bogus about it? Pop the reg in to cartell and it says it's a 730d. It is very cheap I have to say, but if there's a scam, what's the scam?

Back on topic, I'd love a 730d myself, but what about the running costs outside of fuel. If things break, are they expensive to fix?

Those pictures are robbed from some other ad. With a lot of these these scams the location of the phone number, location and number plate don't add up. In this case the number is rubbish as it will all be done by email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

modm3 wrote: »

Was in a 735i and it was a bit of a mover - 272bhp, only concern (for me)was that the engine is a carry over from the previous model, I would prefer the 740i, but the 3.0d is the one to have when these things get cheap. Speaking of which, if you could afford one of these things new, why would you put a moderate diesel engine in it - surely you can afford the juice to run it and have a lovely V8?

You must be talking about the E38s as there is no current 735 E65.
    I guess there's a reason for everything, there will always be a market for engines at the lower end of the scale, by that logic you might aswell say "well if you can afford it, why don't they just make 750s?". Smaller engines are more economical and some people like that. Also less tax (on the old system), insurance and petrol costs. Also kinder to the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You must be talking about the E38s as there is no current 735 E65.
    I guess there's a reason for everything, there will always be a market for engines at the lower end of the scale, by that logic you might aswell say "well if you can afford it, why don't they just make 750s?". Smaller engines are more economical and some people like that. Also less tax (on the old system), insurance and petrol costs. Also kinder to the environment.

The new 750i isn't the old V12! It's the 4.8 V8 that replaced the 745i, which was the 4.4 V8, a reworked version of the 4.4 V8 in the 740i. The newer 4.8 litre engine gives 365bhp but better mpg than the older 4.4 V8.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I don't understand, what did I say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

E38-beemer wrote: »
    i've a 728i V6 that weighs almost 2 tonnes and it goes when you want it to go, especially in sport mode. There is normally a little lag in reaction for about 1 second and then it just kicks in. I'd imagine the 2.8 petrol and 730d are similar in performance. I've made some savage overtaking manouvers in the 728 on the road to galway. When you want it to go, it goes, but its no M class!

*Cringe*.

Advertisement