Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfer from bank to bank

Options
  • 13-11-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

My problem is that: The BOI Blanchardstown have told me that they can not transfer money from my savings account to my Halifax current account.

This is strange considering my girlfriend was able to do the exact same thing with her savings from BOI Baggot Street? What is the issue here as they were able to take money from my Halifax account to fund the savings?? Is this right that they can not transfer money from bank to bank???

Any information relating to this would be a huge help as I cant take more time off work to go and collect a draft and then lodge it with Halifax!!! I wouldn't mind but I hand delivered a letter to BOI with instructions to cancel my savings account (which they did) and transfer the funds (which they did not). I also left my mobile number should they have any difficulties in processing this request. However, two weeks later when money still was not transferred I enquired with BOI and was informed that they lost my letter and even if they had it still can not trasfer the funds!!!! :confused::(

Any information/help on this is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

They won't transfer funds without an authorisation letter from you.

So is it that they won't do it because they don't have the letter? or because they say they can't transfer to Halifax? Its not clear from your post as, the way I read it, you imply both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

This happened to me with the AIB when I wanted to transfer money to my EBS account for the mortgage on the house. They told me at the time they wanted me to put it in writing as to the reasons why and then after that it would be ok. But this was 3 years ago and the excuse they used was money laundering or something like that. Mad thing is I went online to my 24 hour and added it as an option there with no problems. So I could transfer the funds using 24 hour online thingy quicker than actually walking into bank. Never did write that letter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

what they more than likely did was, process your first request to close the account, but they didnt process the second request on the letter to transfer the funds out.
    so the letter was prob filed away offsite.
    due to this they now have no record to transfer the funds out of the account which is closed.
    due to the consumer credit act they will not move these funds until they receive a new letter for the request.
    they could also look for the letter filed away, but you would be quicker just posting a new one to them.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

Sorry if I was not clear its just that I wanted to tell the whole story. They have told me that they can not transfer the money into my Halifax account.

Is this right? Surely they can once I have authorised it and given them a letter. The lady led me to believe that the only way I could remove the money was to go to the branch and get a bankers draft from them?? In this day and age that seems crazy??

What I need is advice as to where I stand. If I just retype the letter and send it to them (signed) with all the details of savings account number and the Halifax current account number and sort code with instructions to transfer funds, should they transfer the money for me?

Thanks

to be honest it seems silly they cant transfer to halifax,
    i work in a bank, and daily i write up transfers from accounts to either outside banks or same banks accounts, these transfers would range from a few euro to hundreds of thousands, and never have i had problems tranferring money, the only problem ive had recently is when i transfer to a european bank by iban, it caused some difficulty but was eventually done,
    its probably lack of experience and knowledge, due to halifax being new in ireland, and them not used to the 99 sort code.
    id ring banking online and ask their advice 1890 365 365

• Advertisement

I really don't know. I can hazard some guesses but that would depend on knowing information that is useless to this thread, like does Halifax have its own clearing licence/house etc.

You could ask them to make up a draft and send it on to Halifax quoting your Halifax account details. It would save you a trip. Alternatively see if you can get a preprinted docket from Halifax (usually some at the back of your cheque book) and see if they will accept that. All the banks are fussy about transferring funds these days and won't do it without preprinted dockets to reduce the chances of transfers being delayed.

Find out exactly how your GF's transaction was processed. If it was a straight transfer on normal dockets then someone in your branch is talking through their *ss.

rameire wrote: »
    to be honest it seems silly they cant transfer to halifax,
    i work in a bank, and daily i write up transfers from accounts to either outside banks or same banks accounts, these transfers would range from a few euro to hundreds of thousands, and never have i had problems tranferring money,

These sound like "inter-bank transfers" or "money desk" which is a seperate area. Transfers abroad using IBAN are also different from what OP is talking about.

I think you might be right about the lack of experience bit.

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    These sound like "inter-bank transfers" or "money desk" which is a seperate area. Transfers abroad using IBAN are also different from what OP is talking about.

I think you might be right about the lack of experience bit.

yup ibp's and sbt's

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

Thanks for all the replies.

I actually used the same letter that my girlfriend sent to her BOI and just changed the account details. This makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.

I have had nothing but problems with BOI Blanchardstown when trying to get things done in the past and that was why I hand delivered the letter :mad:

Ah well I think I will reprint the letter sign it and send it I just wish that I knew exactly how I stood so that I could DEMAND that they transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

rameire wrote: »
    what they more than likely did was, process your first request to close the account, but they didnt process the second request on the letter to transfer the funds out.

An account (in BOI) may not be closed unless the balance is zero, i.e. they have to have somewhere to move the money to. Also, the bank needs to be sure that all activity has stopped on the account, e.g. no in-flight LASER debits, cheques.

A letter along the lines of .. Please close account xxxxxxxx and transfer funds to Bank NSC yyyyyy Account zzzzzzzz. .. should suffice. The account to which you transfer the funds doesn't even have to be your own.

Alternatively, as already advised, set up the Halifax account as a payment beneficiary using 365 Online and transfer the funds yourself.

I haven't set foot in my BoI branch in 20 years. There is rarely a reason to be there in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

TarfHead wrote: »
    An account (in BOI) may not be closed unless the balance is zero, i.e. they have to have somewhere to move the money to. Also, the bank needs to be sure that all activity has stopped on the account, e.g. no in-flight LASER debits, cheques.

A letter along the lines of .. Please close account xxxxxxxx and transfer funds to Bank NSC yyyyyy Account zzzzzzzz. .. should suffice. The account to which you transfer the funds doesn't even have to be your own.

Alternatively, as already advised, set up the Halifax account as a payment beneficiary using 365 Online and transfer the funds yourself.

I haven't set foot in my BoI branch in 20 years. There is rarely a reason to be there in person.

A BOI Savings account doesn't have the facility to transfer outside the bank, first they would have to transfer it to a current account and then transfer from there to a different bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

craichoe wrote: »
    A BOI Savings account doesn't have the facility to transfer outside the bank, first they would have to transfer it to a current account and then transfer from there to a different bank.

Not true.

I can make payments from my Savings account, using 365 Online, to any registered beneficiary.

Equally, you could transfer funds in-branch, using a credit transfer form, to any other account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

BOI can transfer funds to another account if you have a pre printed lodgement slip for the recipent account but it can take a few days.

they can also do a same day money transfer (cost €20) but you have to request it before something like 12pm.

they cannot simply transfer from one bank to another even thought you can on line its just the way it works. Even on line it takes a day or two.

Advertisement