Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Student Diet!

• 13-11-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I'm in first year of college and living away from home so I have to cook for myself. Just wondering is there are any students out there who have any easy and tasty recipes that you cook yourself.

Some recipes that I cook include:
    • Beef Stew (my favourite- so easy)
    • Gammon Steak with boiled spuds and country mix frozen veg
    • Sweet and Sour Chicken
    • Philli Pasta
    • Rashers, spaghetti hoops and country mix veg (when I'm lazy!)
    So what do you lot cook?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

nerdysal wrote: »
    I'm in first year of college and living away from home so I have to cook for myself. Just wondering is there are any students out there who have any easy and tasty recipes that you cook yourself.

Some recipes that I cook include:
    • Beef Stew (my favourite- so easy)
    • Gammon Steak with boiled spuds and country mix frozen veg
    • Sweet and Sour Chicken
    • Philli Pasta
    • Rashers, spaghetti hoops and country mix veg (when I'm lazy!)
    So what do you lot cook?

I buy turkey from tescos and freeze it. Then make enchiladas old el de paso or discovery(from a pack) or an indian curry, sharwoods tikka masala(from a jar!)

Sometimes if I'm snack hungry I make a cheese and bean tortilla. Just heat a frying pan, chop up tomatoes and onions, grate some cheese over it(add whatever else takes your fancy, I usually add chick peas or beans)

The best part is the garlic dip though. Squeeze a bit of lemon into a small bowl, grind a bit of garlic up(the really small part of graters good for this) add pepper, then add natural yoghurt/mayonaise, kind of kebab mayonnaise texture, real good!

And poached eggs, gotta love poached eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Hi there, I'm a student too. Check out my food diary for my recipes. Most of them aren't too time consuming or they'll do for two days which is handy. Its the same as everything else-trying to be organised enough to have something to eat even when you fall in the door knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Yeah, I always cook for 2 days! And on Mondays I don't have a lecture until 12 so I cook dinner after Breakfast and then on Tuesdays when I have a full day I just have to heat it up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Always a good plan. If you like stew then I posted a recipe in my food diary this week that turned out absolutely divine! I fed 7 students with it and still had some over for the next day. Stews are great coz although the chopping takes ages, cooking requires very little supervision so you can get work done on your assignments/tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I know its great! The last time I cooked stew I finished my business law project while it was sitting on the hob. It was great! Over the weekend I got a few more recipes so I'm dying to try them out up here. One is a chicken and brocolli stir fry in Oyster Sauce with noodles and the other is beef in guinness ;) packed with iron :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I like fajitas, loads of curries cos i worked in an indian and learnt a lot of recipes, soups, omelettes, poached eggs.

My favourite at the moments is a tin of chickpeas, some mange tout, a tin of coconut milk, almond and 2 teaspoons of masala spices from the asian shop served on rice. Yum! Serves 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

nerdysal wrote: »
    I know its great! The last time I cooked stew I finished my business law project while it was sitting on the hob. It was great! Over the weekend I got a few more recipes so I'm dying to try them out up here. One is a chicken and brocolli stir fry in Oyster Sauce with noodles and the other is beef in guinness ;) packed with iron :D

Guinness doesn't actually have that much iron, just so you know. My only recipes the last while have been pasta bakes (pasta, can of campbells soup, canful of milk, tin(s) of tuna, spring onion) Its a wonder I'm still alive tbh...

Advertisement