Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pit bull in pound 5 days up and rescue space offered will he be released??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

Hypotechical situation.

If there is a Pit Bull in the pound, what is there to stop a rescue worker from running down to the post office and purchasing a licence in respect of a pit bull of whatever color and sex and then returning to the pound with said licence and then claim to be the owner?

Would the pound have to legally give the dog to the licence holder claiming to be the owner?

• Registered Users, Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dogs & Cats

I have been reading the threads re the unwritten policy on supposedly dangerous breeds.

I live in the South of the country and our supposedly "annimal home" rehomes very few dogs or cats. My daughter worked there on work experience once and she told me that all the animals were put down. now though at least it is by injection and not by electrocution.

All animal lovers in the city I live in know the situation though and they do not get our support, but the City Council still use this facility, even though they know that there are alternatives. This keeps the facility open.

The facility has moved premisis so hopefully things may get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

GilGrissom wrote: »
    Hypotechical situation.

If there is a Pit Bull in the pound, what is there to stop a rescue worker from running down to the post office and purchasing a licence in respect of a pit bull of whatever color and sex and then returning to the pound with said licence and then claim to be the owner?

Would the pound have to legally give the dog to the licence holder claiming to be the owner?

Wouldn't the date on the dog license give it away?

• Registered Users, Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dogs & Cats

Yes it would but a some people only get the dog licence to get the dog out of the Pound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would it work?

• Advertisement

Yes it would but a some people only get the dog licence to get the dog out of the Pound
    Actually yeah you're right :o Or if they don't have a license its included in the cost of the fine for strays isnt it?

Could it be considered a case of fraud then though?

If not, a license (licence?) could be gotten every so often for different breeds/colours/crosses so there's a pre-prepared one for a dog that comes in and then used to get the dog out of the pound regardless of the date on the license...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

You would want to make sure the licences are in the names of private persons and not in the names of rescues.
    Could it be considered a case of fraud then though?
    It would be all in a good cause. We all know no one is going to claim these poor dogs. I can't see what harm it would do.

Yeah, I know it would be a good cause SMERSH - but it would also increase costs. The people themselves would also have to decide if it is worth the risk.
    SMERSH wrote:
    I can't see what harm it would do
    Besides the legalities...
    If the pound found out what was being done (if it was being done) there's the possibility they might not want to work with the rescues involved any longer, which definitely wouldn't be a good thing then.

If there's a dog licence in existance for the dog, wouldn't that bring a fine which is dearer than the release fee... which can add up then. Release fees might be mangeable. Fine + licence = steeper.

Two licences would cost the same as a release fee for a dog in one particular place.

My post probably reads like I'm not a fan of the idea. I would love to see the sort of thing in this thread being stamped out. No dog deserves to be singled out because of their breed. But I'm also trying to consider all thought processes and think of the whole picture for future dogs and the rescues involved.

The idea is there, and if it is do-able, great. But there's a lot of weighing up to do for those involved as well.

As a short term solution it might work, but Vel posted some great idea's/info for what could lead to a longer term solution for the dogs being singled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

she told me that all the animals were put down. now though at least it is by injection and not by electrocution.

This one sent a chill through me.

I'd have thought all animals were PTS with an injection these days, is there any pounds electrocuting animals?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I certainly would not commit fraud or incite someone else to do it for me. As sad as the state of affairs is with this particular pound, everything must be above board and legal. Rescues have alot to lose (loose?) in regards of their reputation and the handling of dogs. I got into hot water once by taking in a *stray* dog from a member of public only to be accused of theft two weeks later. Luckily, a surrender form was signed when the dog was given to me. Hence my sticking to a paper trail for every single dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Unfortunately though, it is not only this particular pound that has this policy. I visited Longford pound towards the end of last year, and there was a gorgeous Rottie cross boy in there. His time was just about up, and I asked about him (I wasn't there to rehome a dog, I was there for another reason) and I was told I couldn't have him, he was on the restricted list, so he wouldn't be rehomed.:mad: There are other pounds around the country with the same policy. The public do need to be educated about these breeds so that they realise that each dog should be judged individually, and not on their breed, but until that happens, I can't see this nonsense stopping.

I'm sorry guys, I'm just relieved that the breeds of dogs that I love and help aren't on that stupid list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

I'm sorry guys, I'm just relieved that the breeds of dogs that I love and help aren't on that stupid list.

yes you are lucky but at the end of the day its these breeds today and your breed tomorrow if something is not done, that's the problem people think their safe because their dog is not on this list we have 10 breeds and don't forget crosses of those breeds also on this list and lots of room for another 10 when they fall into the hands of scum we all need to stand together and fight (BSL) regardless of what breed we own because it will affect every1 in time to come ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

Lilly/DNB wrote: »

yes you are lucky but at the end of the day its these breeds today and your breed tomorrow if something is not done, that's the problem people think their safe because their dog is not on this list we have 10 breeds and don't forget crosses of those breeds also on this list and lots of room for another 10 when they fall into the hands of scum we all need to stand together and fight (BSL) regardless of what breed we own because it will affect every1 in time to come ;)

With you 100% on that Lilly,;) the more popular a breed become the more chance of the idiots :mad: taking a fancy to them and before you know it another breed is added to the list, especially a big, impressive looking dog.
    All the time that people are sitting back :confused: and letting this BSL take a stronger hold, the more chance that another breed and then another, will join the list.

There are some people in authority who believe that the Belgium Shepherd is a type of German Shepherd and therefore is a restricted breed :eek::eek::eek: How long before the other breeds that have ears that stand up erect are classed as the same type???????:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Italy has almost a hundred breeds on the restricted breed list, amongs them Corgis and Border Collies. In Germany who has a tough BSL NOT ONE German breed is on the banned list despite the GSD and its xbreeds being leading in deadly incidents BY FAR.

It's politicians who make these laws, not the ones who actually have and KNOW these dogs.

ISDW, my local DW has given given me a litter of GSDs 3 years ago as he couldn't *safely rehome* them to the general public, only they were Huskies ;). Had I not taken them then they would now be six foot under now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Lilly/DNB wrote: »

Lily, I have never said that I don't fight BSL. I don't think I'm safe at all, I have had two rottie crosses myself, and I have fostered dogs on the list for other rescues. I'm sorry, I thought my post was supportive, as I had offered to take a dog out of a pound because he was due to be pts because of his breed, obviously it didn't come across that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

ISDW wrote: »
    Lily, I have never said that I don't fight BSL. I don't think I'm safe at all, I have had two rottie crosses myself, and I have fostered dogs on the list for other rescues. I'm sorry, I thought my post was supportive, as I had offered to take a dog out of a pound because he was due to be pts because of his breed, obviously it didn't come across that way.
    no no i didn't mean any harm i was just saying that it is possible for any breed at this stage to be put on a dangerous dogs list i was directing this at a sentence you said I'm sorry guys, I'm just relieved that the breeds of dogs that I love and help aren't on that stupid list. i was just saying how today its these breeds we don’t know what tomorrow will bring and regardless of what ever breed we have we should all be standing together that’s all i hope i didn’t offend you i never ment to come across like that
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

i cant blieve that place is getting away with that,we got a staff last year cos she wasnt being looked after properly as in being walked and played was more or less being left out in the back so we took her and couldnt be happier shes not full staff bout 90% the vet said but wasnt sure what the other breed was since we have had,we had her nutered and she had a problem with her leg she was limping so that turned into an operation that cost me the bones of a grand but she is our baby so we look after her like part of the family cos to us she is,its sickening to see these dogs pit bull/staffies sestroyed they are beautiful dogs and in my experience fantasic around kids and other dogs

glic83 wrote: »
    i cant blieve that place is getting away with that,we got a staff last year cos she wasnt being looked after properly as in being walked and played was more or less being left out in the back so we took her and couldnt be happier shes not full staff bout 90% the vet said but wasnt sure what the other breed was since we have had,we had her nutered and she had a problem with her leg she was limping so that turned into an operation that cost me the bones of a grand but she is our baby so we look after her like part of the family cos to us she is,its sickening to see these dogs pit bull/staffies sestroyed they are beautiful dogs and in my experience fantasic around kids and other dogs

I think thats an experience all of us who own bull breeds share.

They're fantastically gentle dogs and fail to live up to the media hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Just wondering.... With regards to the restricted breed list and the pound. If I was to come across any breed on the list in a pound and want to rehome it can I be refused giving the dog a home on the grounds that its on this list??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

you shouldnt be but judging from the start of this thread that seems to be the case in the pound that everyone is on about,by right you should be able to rehome the pet

• Advertisement

KhuntChops wrote: »
    Just wondering.... With regards to the restricted breed list and the pound. If I was to come across any breed on the list in a pound and want to rehome it can I be refused giving the dog a home on the grounds that its on this list??

The short answer is YES.

But it can be done, it won't be easy and little white lies will have to be told.

But I got my older lad just hours before he was killed in the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Check out www.aran.ie they might be able to help. :)

Advertisement