Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horlicks!!!!!!!!

• 13-11-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I think I have the right forum because it is a hot beverage.

Just wondering does anyone have an opinion on the nutritional value of horlicks? I've started drinking it recently and I love it. It's really helping me sleep!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'll move this to nutrition & diet, they'll be able to supply you with some info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It should be listed on the side of the jar. Most hot drinks gave the nutritional value per 100g, and usually per mug made up as directed.

In general, I think Horlicks tends to be heavy on sugar, with not much nutrition except the milk. Cocoa is generally a better drink, as cocoa is a good source of magnesium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I make ice cream milkshakes with it. Give em a try

Based on the taste I'd imagine there's very little nutritional value.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I'm after checking the nutritional info on the back (which I realise now would have been the sensible thing to do). A cup of horlicks made with semi-skimmed milk (I make it with full fat) contains 21% of rda of Iron! And there's a rack of Vits and Mins in it aswell! Surprising...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

its what eddie rockets use to make malts. Just blend ice cream, milk and the horlicks together. Yum:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Ooooh... that sounds heavenly... must try it sometime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

nerdysal wrote: »
    I'm after checking the nutritional info on the back (which I realise now would have been the sensible thing to do). A cup of horlicks made with semi-skimmed milk (I make it with full fat) contains 21% of rda of Iron! And there's a rack of Vits and Mins in it aswell! Surprising...

That's generally a bad sign! Adding extra vitamins usually means that the food or drink is so sugary and junky that it needs to be supplement to be allowed to be called a food.

What are the ingredients and how much of it is sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Their website really sucks at giving nutritional information, but it does say there is a light and extra light horlicks now, perhaps try them out op?

Advertisement