Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME store ripp-off

Options
  • 13-11-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

The powersupply of my PSP died. Looking for a new one I came across the one in the UK GAME online shop. It's offered for £10. Ok, I thought, if I go to the local GAME shop they'll have it for around €15. But lo and behold - they sell it for €25!! It happens a few times in the GAME store that the price is below the one on the product - but unfortunately not this time...

Decided to order it online from amazon for £5.45...

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The powersupply of my PSP died. Looking for a new one I came across the one in the UK GAME online shop. It's offered for £10. Ok, I thought, if I go to the local GAME shop they'll have it for around €15. But lo and behold - they sell it for €25!! It happens a few times in the GAME store that the price is below the one on the product - but unfortunately not this time...

Decided to order it online from amazon for £5.45...
    Thats not exactly a rip off, more a free market. This happens all the time, in all kinds of shops, and there are numerous reasons for it. The reason its not a rip off is because you have the choice to buy elsewhere, and you did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sigh,
    - its not a ripp-off
    - as already mentioned its a free market they can charge 100e if they want

You do not have to buy it!

In 99.9% of cases things are cheaper on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Cabaal wrote: »
    sigh,
    - its not a ripp-off

Oh Yes it is:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Oh Yes it is:rolleyes:

how can it be a rip off if you don't purchase it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

It's not a "rip-off" in the sense that you are being intentionally misled about the product in question. However, it is a "rip-off" in that it is blantant overcharging for a product that the same company sells in England (our neighbors) for considerably less. Many people would consider this a rip-off, and ye are just being pedantic about the term rip-off. I agree with the OP - & am glad he saw fit to point out their ignorant ways - anything that helps more people avoid being overcharged by unscrupulous scum like that is good in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

jim o doom wrote: »
    It's not a "rip-off" in the sense that you are being intentionally misled about the product in question. However, it is a "rip-off" in that it is blantant overcharging for a product that the same company sells in England (our neighbors) for considerably less. Many people would consider this a rip-off, and ye are just being pedantic about the term rip-off. I agree with the OP - & am glad he saw fit to point out their ignorant ways - anything that helps more people avoid being overcharged by unscrupulous scum like that is good in my book.
    So buy it in the UK then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

You could have got one in smiths for 10 euro and it would charge a ds as well shop around that is what people have to do

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Different tax rates etc, its all been explained before, if you want UK prices then go live in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

Well said

ntlbell wrote: »
    how can it be a rip off if you don't purchase it?

A rip off is a rip off is a rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Different tax rates etc, its all been explained before, if you want UK prices then go live in the UK

Or drive up the north if you are buying something big that you are going to save a lot of money on that's what i do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

A rip off is a rip off is a rip off

Looks like your slightly confused about what a rip off is...

if i offer you fresh air for 10e a pop and you pay me, did i rip you off?

the shop is telling you this the item, this is the price...

you decide if you want to be ripped off or not..

if you dont buy it you won't get ripped off..

As before, you will see here on loads of threads, the reason why companies charge different prices here than in the UK. Fine, it sucks. Im not denying that. Easons do it on magazines all the time. If you want a good example from the high street, check out Argos prices here vs UK. They all do it, and if questioned will cite staffing, rents, VAT, currency, and transportation. Some of which is justifiable, some not. Hell, my local petrol station charge far too much for Fanta, for no reason in particular. I just dont buy it.

If a company charges you incorrectly or fraudulently, thats a rip off. This is not. An educated customer will simply choose to buy elsewhere. Im not being pedantic, I just feel that a strong term like rip off should be saved for those who deserve it more. All the above situation serves to show is that you need to shop around, whether its an international chain or not.

Do you really think it's that simple? If it was that simple how was he able to purchase the same Item at a considerably reduced price in a retail store in Ireland? nothing to do with tax, it's to do with Game being a bunch of overcharging scum. And just because we are being overcharged for goods in this country, doesn't seem like a good reason to be forced to live in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

I think you're looking too much into the fact he used the term 'rip off'. The OP has pointed out the fact that Game UK charge much less than Game Ire. He is letting us know to avoid this and go somewhere else to get it.
    Thank you OP.

Oryx wrote: »
    As before, you will see here on loads of threads, the reason why companies charge different prices here than in the UK. Fine, it sucks. Im not denying that. Easons do it on magazines all the time. If you want a good example from the high street, check out Argos prices here vs UK. They all do it, and if questioned will cite staffing, rents, VAT, currency, and transportation. Some of which is justifiable, some not. Hell, my local petrol station charge far too much for Fanta, for no reason in particular. I just dont buy it.

If a company charges you incorrectly or fraudulently, thats a rip off. This is not. An educated customer will simply choose to buy elsewhere. Im not being pedantic, I just feel that a strong term like rip off should be saved for those who deserve it more. All the above situation serves to show is that you need to shop around, whether its an international chain or not.

I can understand you dislike of the use of what you consider a "strong" term (rip-off), but many many people do not share your view/definition of the word. Rip-off has become slang (to many people) for a shop that is clearly over-charging. The OP is more or less naming and shaming blatant overcharging from Game.. the more of these whores that are named and shamed the better, it may help stop these practices (yes I realise I'm being VERY optimistic here).

No not confused.
    BTW €10 is for fresh air IS a rip off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

The sterling collapse is making this differential worse. Should GAME or other retailers change their prices on weekly basis, I don't think so. They probably have fixed sterling, euro rate for X weeks/months and then review again.

An example would be, it €25 on Monday. On Friday should it be €23.50 as sterling has lost 6% this week against euro? Then back up to €24 on Tuesday when sterling strengthens again?

No not confused.
    BTW €10 is for fresh air IS a rip off ;)
    It sure is.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

It's not the worst though really.

I live in the UK at the moment and my wages are much lower than they would be here. Equally though, the cost of living is much lower - supermarkets/ pubs are way cheaper.

Basic hourly wage in the company I work for in the UK is £5.50 - which is 6.43 euro today. At home in the same company the wage would be 10 euro - or £8.59. So a massive difference basically.

So it sort of makes sense that a product in GAME would be cheaper in the UK than it is in Ireland no?

• Advertisement
Advertisement