Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of lifts.

• 13-11-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hate the bloody things, had a couple of scary experiences and trapping in the past and these days I'm petrified of the damn things which can be a real pain since where I'm currently based I have to take one to work on the 20th floor. Compounded by old building, old lifts and ones that are prone to breaking down. What freaks me is the knowledge that when that door opens I'm stepping into a box that is dangling 100 metres from the ground by a bloody wire and who knows what ****ty state the wire is in. Anyone share the same curse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Got over it when I realised that lifts are attched by many wires and it's practically impossible for them to detach and fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

used to crap meself at the thought of them then i got a job where i had to use a crap one all day . Bout 50 times a day. Deliveries and that. Had to get over it im the end. Still have my ups and downs though. Sorry had to say that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I used to hate them until I used a crap one in work, with those metal gate doors that you pull across, still not mad about the usual ones, tiny yokes you can see out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

it's not like the cartoons. there's many thick powerful wires. If one for some reason snapped there'd be plenty of backup. I think even if they were all to fail like if it was malicious or something there'd probably be another mechanism. Like perhaps the box falls at an angle that the walls will catch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Miss Sunshine

I feel your pain. I was always nervous in lifts as I'm claustrophobic, but in the past few months the lifts in the building I work in break down continously (at least twice a day!) I used to get so paniced at the tought of going in them. I was more concerned about getting stuck in them tho than them falling. I've looked into it though and it's nearly impossible for them to fall down the elevator shaft. Anyway, long story short, there are lots of ways to overcome fears, it's pretty much a case of mind over matter. You should read out more about lifts, how the function and the reliabilty of them and you'll be more comfortable in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I remember I went through a period as a child where I was absoloutely terrified. I think this was due to the fact that Mum worked in a large building on one of the middle floors and often spoke about how the lifts stuck - it would only be brief and didn't really phase her as she was used to it, but it scares the hell out of me.

Nowadays, it kind of depends on the lift I'm in. If it's an old(ish) one I do get nervous and I most certainly would never go in a lift on my own. I am not at all confident that there is someone at the other end of the emergency bell 24 hours a day, then I panic that my mobile won't work.

Last year I stayed in two different hotels in two different European cities. The lefts were so tiny you couldn't swing a cat in them - let alone breathe out. Two people fitted in there, at a push. I was terrified going up and down in those lifts to the room.

Advertisement