Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogba

• 13-11-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭

I see the FA and media are up in arms about Drogba throwing back a coin - but if some clown is brave eneogh to fire a missile from the crowd, surely he should be brave to take it back.
    yeah , i know Drogba can be moody , earns a fortune , and 2 wrongs don't make a right - but those idiots in the crowd throwing stuff or chanting personal abuse , should be able to take what they dish out .
    I'd feal exactly like doing what Drogba did , no matter how much money i earned , i think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

thebaz wrote: »
    I see the FA and media are up in arms about Drogba throwing back a coin - but if some clown is brave eneogh to fire a missile from the crowd, surely he should be brave to take it back.
    yeah , i know Drogba can be moody , earns a fortune , and 2 wrongs don't make a right - but those idiots in the crowd throwing stuff or chanting personal abuse , should be able to take what they dish out .
    I'd feal exactly like doing what Drogba did , no matter how much money i earned , i think

because drogba probably didnt hit the person who threw it.

he was wrong to what he did, he should have enough sense to walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I think he is fairly likely to have hit some random innocent punter in the crowd don't you think :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Carra got a three match ban for similair in 2002, so Drogba should get the same.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I think he is fairly likely to have hit some random innocent punter in the crowd don't you think :confused:

Probably right, Drogba of a couple of years ago thou would have definately hit the right target. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've some sympathy for people who get hit with a missile from the crowd, but unless he's a) pretty sure who threw it b) a god shot, he can't just throw a coin back. He should just sort it out like Mark Hughes or Cantona did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

jaykay74 wrote: »

I know , but if some clown hits you with a coin , your natural impulse is to react - drogba won't get away with it , but our brave freind in the crowd gets away , along with his twisted satisfaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

I'm a Chelsea fan but i cant excuse Drogs from this behavior. He should know better,

Part of being a top sportsman in this day in age is knowing how to handle yourself off the pitch. Whether that's in the media, outside a pub, or throwing coins back at idiot fans.

If you're that much of an arse off the pitch, then you shouldnt be playing. That's why i wouldnt want Ronaldo for Chelsea (plus he wouldnt get a game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Drogba in my opinion is indefinsible here. There are certain things you have to accept when being a professional sports man a) not everyone will like you and some will hurl abuse at you b) occasionally wrong and all that it is you may get physical abuse be it in the form of a coin throws or even a pigs head :)

The real culprit here is the idiot that threw it in the first place but unless Drog saw exactly who it was and has a pin point throw he could have hit any innocent person there purely to watch a game of football. He should accept this as part of the game and not rise to it. He is not a young kid he is a mature 30 year old who should know better. Last season a united fan threw a coin at him, what did he do then? Picked it up and handed it to the ref. Why didn't he do that this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

if the ref saw what he did, surely he should have been sent off and not booked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I know , but if some clown hits you with a coin , your natural impulse is to react - drogba won't get away with it , but our brave freind in the crowd gets away , along with his twisted satisfaction
    He could be caught on CCTV - in which case he can expect a life ban from football grounds, or at least thats what he should get

Will Drogba get a life ban though? Didn't think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

iregk wrote: »
    Drogba in my opinion is indefinsible here. There are certain things you have to accept when being a professional sports man a) not everyone will like you and some will hurl abuse at you b) occasionally wrong and all that it is you may get physical abuse be it in the form of a coin throws or even a pigs head :)

Doesnt make it right in my view. I don't understand the old " they get paid well enough, they should take it " view. People are allowed shout abuse inside a football stadium that would be criminal behaviour anywhere else. The whole thing with Beckham and the " does she take it up the " chants were justified by the fact they didn't shun publicity.
    I really dislike watching live football for the absolute ****e you hear, from overweight, out of shape experts who use a football game to spout venom which really is them trying to identify a focus for their frustration at their sad little lives. Rant over.
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's always the same in cases like this, the guy that threw the coin is a scumbag and Drogba is a fool for retaliating.

It'd be different and maybe understandable (but still wrong) if Drogba done a Cantona or a Trevor Brennan by actually getting the guy responsible but he's supposed to be a "professional" and as such should've had the cop on to walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I am just suprised that drogba didn't go down in a heap....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If he hit the fella who threw it, fair enough......... If he didn't though: off with his head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

I'd feal exactly like doing what Drogba did

not the sharpest tool in the box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Drogba was a fool for throwing it back. He could have hit anyone.

I understand he was upset but his 1 finger salute was fair enough as I think most adults would laugh at such a thing. He should have picked up the coin and give it to the ref and reported the incident like most sane people should.

Loco wrote: »
    not the sharpest tool in the box!

would you say that to his face or mine ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

mike65 wrote: »
    Carra got a three match ban for similair in 2002, so Drogba should get the same.

Mike

not really though

carragher was sent off, and the 3 match ban he got was for the red card, the FA didnt give him any more

in this instance, the ref booked him, so i dont know if the FA can actually do anything

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just saw the incident there now. Drogba was stupid but it wasn't as if he had fired the coin back into the crowd. It was more of a lob.

He really is foolish though. He's played less than 2 hours football this season so far. I think he should have left in the summer if this is the kind of attitude he is going to show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Do we have confirmation it was a coin? The likelihood of a Burnley fan having any money on a Wednesday night is pretty slim.....even if they did they'd be saving it for peas and chips 'ont wey 'ooooome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Drogba, what a tit

I cant see how a professional footballer can make such a error. I wouldnt mind too much if it was against a main rival or a team who he might have a history against but the fact that its against Burnley!! wtf?? He just put his team in the lead against lower league opposition in his first game back from an injury, everything is looking rosy and all of a sudden he pulls this stunt.
    I really hope Chelsea do the right thing and land him with a suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Drogba was a fool for throwing it back. He could have hit anyone.

I understand he was upset

He should have picked up the coin and give it to the ref .

exactly - mby throwing it back drogba only gave the fella in the crowd something more to boast/be delighted with himself about. he should be given a ban 2-3 games and a fine and be fined by the club as well

sorry - this thing just hits a nerve - i know myself and most of my freinds who played , agreed with Cantona - even in smallish LSL matches here , I have heard vicious stuff on the sidelines - when the adrenaline is flowing , and some weedy "watcher" , feals the big man , by anonymously dishing out vile abuse - its hard not to react - they were never big eneogh to front up and give direct abuse - just safely hide in the crowd .

Rant over :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just saw the footage of this last night, He fairly flung it back into the crowd, idiot could have taken the eye out of someone, I don't like to see players getting suspended but this muppet needs to be thought a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

most amazing thing about the incident was drogba stayed on his feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Too late buddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sorry - this thing just hits a nerve - i know myself and most of my freinds who played , agreed with Cantona - even in smallish LSL matches here , I have heard vicious stuff on the sidelines - when the adrenaline is flowing , and some weedy "watcher" , feals the big man , by anonymously dishing out vile abuse - its hard not to react - they were never big eneogh to front up and give direct abuse - just safely hide in the crowd .

Rant over :mad:

Difference is Cantona got the person he intended to - the person throwing out the racist abuse. It is highly unlikely Drogba knew who through the coin, or hit them with it when he threw it back.

If he hit the person that threw it, fair player, the scumbag deserved it, but he probably didn't so that is where my problem with the incident is.

I do get annoyed at the fans who scream abuse at a player then run to the police if he so much as gives them a dirty look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

emc2 wrote: »
    I am just suprised that drogba didn't go down in a heap....

Stop stealing my line!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ah Drogba, I half expected him to fall over claiming for a free kick....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

emc2 wrote: »
    Stop stealing my line!!!:D

sorry mate didn't read the first page I owe you royalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

just throw him a few coins.

*gets coat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I dont see how they cannot suspend him. If they dont then the FA are sending the message that it is ok for players to chuck stuff into the crowd. I dont care if he got hit he is a professional on copious amounts of money and should have reported it to the referee and let the police deal with the bloke who threw it. He is suppose to be setting an example not demonstrating thug behaviour. In the end he was no better than the idiot who threw it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ok, so we have all admitted Drogba was wrong with what he did, but lets talk about him as an athlete and football player. I posted this a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't analysed though as it was at the bottom of a page.

Is Didier Drogba one of the most overrated players in the world? My reasoning is, over the past 4 seasons, he is ALWAYS mentioned among the best strikers, among the likes of Eto'o, Nistelrooy, Shevchenko, Henry, etc. To my mind, he has only had one season where he has scored over 20 goals (and yes, that season he truely was one of, if not, the best strikers in the world).

Putting aside his attributes, as he is an exceptionally talented and well rounded player player. His goal scoring record doesn't really flatter, less than 1 goal every 2 games for club. Compare that to Shevchenko and A.C, who averaged more than 1 in 2. Or Etoo, who has scored 87 goals in 117 league games.

Now I do admit that he is a very complete player, good at holding the ball up, very strong, good in the air, talented with both feet. But I really don't see how he is rated SOO much higher than the likes of David Villa and even Diego Milito, as his goal scoring record is about the same, and it's not like he contributes to everything else on the football field like a Rooney style forward.

I would love him in my team, as he has alot to offer, but for some reason I don't understand how despite only having one great season, people seem to look at the man as if he has been consistenly a goal scoring machine. Is it Sky hyping him up or something?

My point, it just seems that the one season where he was phenomenal has caused people to be brainwashed into thinking he was consistently that brilliant for more than one season. He is well rounded in the way that he is good in the air, with each foot, pacey enough, powerful and can hold up the ball. But if we are to class him on goals, he falls just short of the creme de la creme, and if we were to class him as an all round contributor, we would class him behind the likes of Rooney, Tevez and Kuyt.

Sure if we look at his importance to Chelsea we see how valuable the man is, but that is because Chelsea seem to be relying on two strikers.

So I'm not trying to diss the guy, I just think people should as themselves this: Drogba, an excellent forward, but is he really one of the best of the best over the past 5 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tl;dr :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I don't like Drogba, but what he's great at is the physical side of the game.

He makes defenders lives a misery, and causes a lot of goals in that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The guys first couple of seasons with Chelsea he was mediocre but has come on leaps and bounds since. As for sky, they would have you believe Ronaldo is the worlds best, the sun shines through his arse and every England player is worldclass. Jamie Redknapp for christsake ! RTE tell it like it is, they have proper top ex-players giving analysis. Giles, Brady, Souness and Whelan actual real great players who know what great players are like.

As for Drogba he is not one of the best over the past five years as he was not even at Chelsea five years ago and as I said his first couple of seasons with Chelsea were mediocre. His record with Marseille hardly puts him in the top bracket. Henry was the best in Europe over the past five seasons I reckon. Even last year he was blasted by the press but I think he actually finished Barca's top scorer wth about 20 in all comps.

Advertisement