Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arabica

Options
  • 13-11-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

Whats going on here? when these places opened first they were lovely, easily the nicest places in Galway by a long shot.

Now I'm a regular frequenter of all of the shops and am aware that they are franchised, so I am not including Knockncarra or Barna in this as they have held their own, but the rest of the cafes have gone completely down the tubes. It seems quality is being compromised for profit and it shows.

This week I had a disgusting panini in middle st, a horrible wrap in Salthill, and today, a really vile mocha in salthill.

Please please can they revert to their original good standards again!!

Sorry for the rant, its just a shame to see such nice places go down the swanny and go from bad to worse thats all.

Arabica isn't cheap, but I neverminded paying extra for the quality. Now its just a bad quality rip off...anybody agree??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I don't frequent Arabica as much as I used to but when I occassionally go there the Coffee still tastes pretty decent to me.

I will second the food bit though. Always thought it was overrated and overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I don't frequent Arabica as much as I used to but when I occassionally go there the Coffee still tastes pretty decent to me.

I will second the food bit though. Always thought it was overrated and overpriced

Knocknacarra is consistently good with excellent service. The same girl seems to have managed the place for ages and she seems to run a tight ship.

Salthill has the most appalling service ever. The place would have closed long ago were it not for its location. It amuses me that they can never cope when they are busy. Should they not be sufficiently staffed with trained staff to cope when busy?

Can't really comment on any of the other branches.

Hopefully Arabica isn't going the way of Mocha Beans. A few years ago this was a top quality operation but then their standard of hygiene plumetted while their prices rose. Too many times I sat waiting for coffee with the owner lounging at a nearby table while the floor was obviously filthy. Really the kind of place that will likely face difficulty in the dreaded recession/depression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

well the food in arrabica was never anything to write home about and distinctly overpriced!!!! standards have nosedived in the salthill cafe particularly. please starbucks come to galway and make these amateurs pull their socks up.
    If the owners of the arrabica brand are reading this please improve the menu, its still the same after 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

futura123 wrote: »
    please starbucks come to galway and make these amateurs pull their socks up.

you don't want a Starbucks. the coffee is very weak and bland, and everything is overpriced. most of the local cafe's in Galway would be much better than Starbucks.

you don't want a Starbucks. the coffee is very weak and bland, and everything is overpriced. most of the local cafe's in Galway would be much better than Starbucks.
    arrabica and mocha beans are nothing compared to starbucks in terms of quality. i do want starbucks, competition is good for everyone

• Advertisement

please starbucks come to galway and make these amateurs pull their socks up.

Someone in the Coffee and Tea forum said there's a rumour that Starbucks could move in on where the Sisley shop used to be near HMV. Here's the thread

I personally wouldn't want one yes it's good for competiiton and their Frapuccino's are to die for but when it's all said and done it is the Mcdonalds of Coffee with very little substance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

churchview wrote: »
    Knocknacarra is consistently good with excellent service. The same girl seems to have managed the place for ages and she seems to run a tight ship.

Salthill has the most appalling service ever. The place would have closed long ago were it not for its location. It amuses me that they can never cope when they are busy. Should they not be sufficiently staffed with trained staff to cope when busy?

Can't really comment on any of the other branches.

Hopefully Arabica isn't going the way of Mocha Beans. A few years ago this was a top quality operation but then their standard of hygiene plumetted while their prices rose. Too many times I sat waiting for coffee with the owner lounging at a nearby table while the floor was obviously filthy. Really the kind of place that will likely face difficulty in the dreaded recession/depression

Agreed on Knocknacarra, Barna is the same. The others have really gone downhill tho, even Liosbaun. I undersatnd the proprietor has recently employed people with some sort of catering qualifications to take charge of the business...how ironic that since then things have gone downhill. Mocha beans was lovely, now its horrible.
    well the food in arrabica was never anything to write home about and distinctly overpriced!!!! standards have nosedived in the salthill cafe particularly. please starbucks come to galway and make these amateurs pull their socks up.
    If the owners of the arrabica brand are reading this please improve the menu, its still the same after 4 years.

The menu has changed in the last 4 years, not for the better, they have decreased the number of items on it, they've done this twice as far as I remember. The food was always pricey; it used to be nice, now its rubber chicken and bland mayonnaise, and tasteless cheese, and don't get me started on the new rice krispie things in Salthill.... had one yday as a treat(Im a child I know) but really.....ugggh.

I have several friends and colleagues who have mentioned their concerns about these establishments to me. We are all of the same opinion, so I am sure we can't be the only ones. the service has most certainly has its ups and downs in all of the branches over the years, but you could overlook that because what you were getting was nice. Now that isn't the case.

I have to meet somebody in one of the shops later, and I really wish I didnt have to, I would prefer to go elsewhere, in fact I'm hoping I can convince them to go elsewhere. i never thought I would see the day whne I wouldn't want to go to Arabica. IN these tougher times I think the Arabica need to sit up and take note. We can see the corners you're cutting and scrimping on, and we don't like it.

Bring back the high standard Arabica again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Arabica in dominick st is good , the lady that owns it came to are table and ask if every think was ok , nice to see some old fashioned trade still going on ....
    wont get that now in starbucks , only the bucks that take off you

would eat again and where this one you all talking about in Knockncarra not for the area
    thanks
    ice

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

yeah have to agree with the service in salthill. Not good at all.
    Loads of staff walking around but so slow- im always late back to work when i go there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

extraice wrote: »
    where this one you all talking about in Knockncarra not for the area
    thanks
    ice

It's in the small shopping centre where Joyce's grocery is the anchor, near the Kingston Road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

Bring back the Popeye Panini! Arabics's food standard's dropped when they changed the menu a few years back. They went for less and cheaper ingredients but kept the prices the same. Very disappointing. I don't eat there anymore. Just have a coffee which I quite like.

Starbucks coffee is drivel. Don't see the need for one in Galway unless you're into your frap-/mocha-/macch- whatever you call it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

EJLL wrote: »
    Starbucks coffee is drivel. Don't see the need for one in Galway unless your into your frap-/mocha-/macch- whatever you call it.
    They're not coffee. They're partially gelatinated coffee themed milk drinks.

EJLL wrote: »

Starbucks coffee is drivel. Don't see the need for one in Galway unless your into your frap-/mocha-/macch- whatever you call it.

And even then Butlers Iced Drinks during the Summer keep me going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Carraig

bills wrote: »
    yeah have to agree with the service in salthill. Not good at all.
    Loads of staff walking around but so slow- im always late back to work when i go there!!

Have to agree about the service in Salthill Arabica ( in the past I've left without being served after waiting 15 minutes to give an order.)

Is it inappropriate to mention, however, how cute some of the staff are? This might account for my having gone back!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

I was in the Arabica in Salthill on Sunday with my wife, I hadn't been there in a long while. The service was good considering it was very busy, but the food was very poor. I scanned the menu looking for something to eat but didn't fancy any of the panini or wrap offerings so settled on a Cesar salad with anchovies. Unfortunately it was so salty it was almost inedible. My wife had a summer salad (in November!) which featured rock hard chunks of unripe mango. Coffee was so-so. Considering the prices I doubt we'll be back in the near future.

Shame about the demise of Bananaphoblacht, which at least was not a franchise and had some personality to it. Best cafe by far now in Galway, at least in terms of food, is the Delight branch in the Kingfisher club in Renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Elles on Shop Street is the cleanest cafe in Galway. They give large take away cups and the scones are just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

I've been known to go to the canteen in the Galway Clinic just to eat well and cheaply there of a Saturday morning.

Never had any business there/visiting to do, etc. Just went there for the relatively cheap grub and a leisurely read of the Saturday newspaper in nice surroundings!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 EllaB

I go to Arabica nearly everyday. The staff in Salthill are sometimes busy at weekends but are always really helpful. All the cappuccinos were strange last week, but have checked and this was due to high levels of protein in milk this time of year. Maybe contact the staff or managers directly with comments or suggestions, its a Galway company, so we need to show our support in these hard times. Easily still the nicest places in Galway by a long shot.

for distinctly over priced coffee and 'food' its not worth supporting

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fonzy72

EllaB wrote: »
    I go to Arabica nearly everyday. The staff in Salthill are sometimes busy at weekends but are always really helpful. All the cappuccinos were strange last week, but have checked and this was due to high levels of protein in milk this time of year. Maybe contact the staff or managers directly with comments or suggestions, its a Galway company, so we need to show our support in these hard times. Easily still the nicest places in Galway by a long shot.

Sorry but I frequent many arabica's as well. I can't help but feel this is management or staff talking as opposed to a customer... proteins in the milk? Really?

• Advertisement

its soo obvious that its a vested interest.... all for supporting local business but only if quality and price is reasonable

No vested intersest , just asked the staff. Maybe you should try !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

arrabica and mocha beans are nothing compared to starbucks in terms of quality. i do want starbucks, competition is good for everyone

i dont know if id be for starbucks if this rant is anything to go by!!!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjebToJYGk

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fonzy72

Itdoesn't take away from the fact that the service is poor. I don't care what name is over the door as long as you are treated accordingly in any eatery . To pay that amount for under quality produce you would want to be treated like a prince!!! Where is the balance?

i dont know if id be for starbucks if this rant is anything to go by!!!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjebToJYGk

To be fair that applies to every Coffee Shop not just Starbucks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... its a Galway company, so we need to show our support in these hard times.

Ahh - that explains a lot. As does this quote from the Franchising page of their web-site ([url]www.arabica.ie):[/url]

"Complete the two week training programme at our head office, and on site at one of our company owned Arabica Coffee Company stores in Galway."

Easily still the nicest places in Galway by a long shot.

You know, if you hadn't put that last bit in, we might have though you were genuine. But nah, with something like that, you've got a stake in the business somewhere. There is no way that a chain can be the "nicest place" anywhere!

owners and managers of 'crapabica' take note and improve this mess of a franchise

owners and managers of 'crapabica' take note and improve this mess of a franchise
    I have mentioned this page web site to the staff in Salthill, so heres hoping.

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh - that explains a lot. As does this quote from the Franchising page of their web-site (www.arabica.ie):

"Complete the two week training programme at our head office, and
    a

You know, if you hadn't put that last bit in, we might have though you were genuine. But nah, with something like that, you've got a stake in the business somewhere. There is no way that a chain can be the "nicest place" anywhere!
    on

Sorry to disappoint you I was just playing with an earlier thread. I will visit their web site. I like the staff in Salthill, maybe I am just easier to please!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have mentioned this page web site to the staff in Salthill, so heres hoping.

If it's a company store then don't hold ya breath. These sort of businesses only really work if there's an owner who cares working hands-on in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement