Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross + Abbey & Ferrybank Shopping Center

• 13-11-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

There is a new shopping centre opening in early 2009 called Ross + Abbey. It is located in the Abbeylands area of Ferrybank.
    • Johnny Fans Chinese Restaurant
    • Punjab Indian Restaurant
    • Pub & Off License
    • EuroSpar
    • Gift Shop
    • Subway
    • Pizzeria
    • Pharmacy
    • Coffee Dock
    • Paddy Power
    • and much more

http://www.bannon.ie/brochures/RossAbbey.pdf

Mod Edit:
    Since we have a few different topics discussing two developments in Ferrybank, neither of which are in use, I have decided to merge the threads and edit the first post as a summary.

Ross and Abbey - Small Retail Units, Abbeylands/AbbeyDrive area
    Consisting of a number of small units which were expected to open ages ago with small retailers. Its completed development and nobody has moved into the site at all.

Ferrybank Shopping Center - Large Complex - New Ross Road
    This is basically a Kilkenny version of City Square but much bigger. Its now fully completed, but again, nobody has moved into the site at all.

Despite many rumours in circulation from reliable sources - no retailer is expected to move into any of the above sites in the near future. Someone will update this thread probably when a retailer is actually confirmed for any of the sites via local press (rather then "reliable sources").

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Ardkeen clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

whats the story with other shopping centre in Ferrybank - work seems to have stopped there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

There is a new shopping centre opening in early 2009 called Ross + Abbey. It is located in the Abbeylands area of Ferrybank.
    • Johnny Fans Chinese Restaurant
    • Punjab Indian Restaurant
    • Pub & Off License
    • EuroSpar
    • Gift Shop
    • Subway
    • Pizzeria
    • Pharmacy
    • Coffee Dock
    • Paddy Power
    • and much more
    http://www.bannon.ie/brochures/RossAbbey.pdf

Watch out the mods ill prob be moving this as is technically a Co Kilkenny issue!!!

At least is something gogin ahead in f-bank not like the new place sitting there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I love the stock photos in that PDF. Sure, don't we all go for a sunset stroll along the beach in Ferrybank.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Where did you get the list of tenants going it here from. As far as I knew, Eurospar had pulled out earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Where did you get the list of tenants going it here from. As far as I knew, Eurospar had pulled out earlier this year.

There name is on the entrance, though I head the same rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Seems to be a lot of eateries, Chinese, Indian, Subway, Pizzeria and Coffee Dock to sustain

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

lot of housing estates about?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cill Chainnigh

The list of tenants is currently posted at the entrance - I'm not sure if EuroSpar is posted. I'll check the next time that I pass it.

There are a lot of houses in the Abbeylands side of Ferrybank, but I am not sure that there is enough to sustain all the restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Reading the promotional material for these suburban shopping centres technically in Co. Kilkenny is a little bit like taking a trip to the twilight zone. Waterford sounds about a hundred miles away, when it isin't even the 2 miles away the thing claims -- more like a few hundred yards to the boundary. The shaded area of Waterford is confined to the south side of the river and we are given this story of an urban area which will soon reach 10,000 in population, even by conservative estimates. What is this magical place that is increasing in population at a dramatic rate for no apparent reason? Sounds like more of this Ferrybank city propaganda.

Still, at least this one seems about the right sort of scale for what is a growing suburb of Waterford city. The local population is only about 5,000 right now but it is growing quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

1966 wrote: »
    whats the story with other shopping centre in Ferrybank - work seems to have stopped there??

Anyone got an update on the new Ferrybank Shopping Centre ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyone got an update on the new Ferrybank Shopping Centre ?

Its nearing completion but I dont see anybody taking up the units. It was stopped for a long time but I believe they were told to clean it up, which is what they have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i have passed there numerous times in the last few months and it has not been touched and no one is working on it.
    it looks finished on the outside but the inside is like a building site

SUNGOD wrote: »
    i have passed there numerous times in the last few months and it has not been touched and no one is working on it.
    it looks finished on the outside but the inside is like a building site

Iv been keeping an eye on it, mainly because its an area that interests me and I have seen big changes over the last few months - at least on the outside. Even the last few days they have put up another "Ferrybank" sign on the outside (stupid name for a shopping center imo).

I have never got the chance to walk in around, but I would have assumed thats going to remain a site until units are fitted which looks unlikely. I see the Car Park is pretty much completed though.

Right just to clarify, the actual construction of the current phase is totally finished and it is now ready to be handed over to whatever retailers are going to take up the units. It does actually look like a shopping centre now. the landscaping really finishes it off well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Was just passing this the other day after not seeing it in a few months. Have to say I was very impressed. It's really after coming on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Nothing to do with the OP of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 angelsavana

It's actually TONY FANN's restaurant!

It's actually TONY FANN's restaurant!

Sorry, what?

Sully wrote: »
    Sorry, what?

Was thinking the very same,but then I went back through the thread and the opening post referred to
    Johnny Fans Chinese Restaurant

so I am thinking he was just sayint that is was not Johnny Fann, but Tony Fann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Does anyone know when the shopping centre in ferrybank is opening, Or what shops (if any) are lined up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Dont think it will ever open.

I head some of the contractors who worked on it have not been paid yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Never, must be costing a bomb left there like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Never, must be costing a bomb left there like that.

Wrong place, wrong size. Knock it down, crush it into power and make the speculators and politicians eat it.

NAMA means the government will be going out thieving the taxpayer to keep this place going until the next bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Wrong place, wrong size. Knock it down, crush it into powder and dump it on John's Green in Kilkenny.

Fixed that for ya... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

should never have been built in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Heard recently that it ain't opening. Gutted !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Tis a fine centre though if it had worked out properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Heard recently that it ain't opening. Gutted !

Where did you hear this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

While on the subject of places not open......anyone know whats happening with the Waterford Business Park out by the six cross roads? It was built and has remained closed for over a year now maybe two or longer?

Advertisement