Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross + Abbey & Ferrybank Shopping Center

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

They're still trying to figure out how to turn it the right way round:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Heard recently that it ain't opening. Gutted !

Don't believe that for a min....
    if the plan was not to open it, why are there contractors there still working on it???????

It will open, not sure when, but it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

fresh landscaping was done on it there last week, couple of nice mature trees planted at the front, its looking quite well for such a imposing structure. hopefully it will open, it might bring some badly need footfall around the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

it might bring some badly need footfall around the area

I would hazard a guess that the ardkeen area is closer to the centre of town (John Roberts Square) when walking then Ferrybank Shopping centre will be. I think this centre will have a negative impact on the already dying city centre and may be the final nail in the coffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's open now!!!

I just bought a box of pop tarts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

WHITE ELEFANT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It's open now!!!

I just bought a box of pop tarts!!

*Looks out window*

Looks fairly closed to me ...

There's been no work done there in quite a while, only activity is the security fencing around the entire premises.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to open but it's starting to look less and less likely. Last I'd heard the developers were bringing Dunnes to court to get them to open the unit they had agreed to open before construction. Would be an ideal place for M&S though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

marlin vs wrote: »
    WHITE ELEFANT

great post..... well done :confused::confused:

would you care to share what you mean???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Would be an ideal place for M&S though ...
    It would be ideal for Kilkenny Co. Council alright, as M&S would be paying them the rates instead of Waterford City Council. We need M&S in Waterford City Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

*Looks out window*

Looks fairly closed to me ...

There's been no work done there in quite a while, only activity is the security fencing around the entire premises.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to open but it's starting to look less and less likely. Last I'd heard the developers were bringing Dunnes to court to get them to open the unit they had agreed to open before construction. Would be an ideal place for M&S though ...

I pass it 4 or 5 times a day and there is always contractors there working , this morning they again planting more mature trees .

I would have to agree about the M&S Comment , Yet I cannot understand why they would keep saying in the Munster Express and to Cllr Gary Wyse that they have a wish to set up a Waterford store in a yet unbuilt retail park on the ORR when such a great retail premises is sitting idle already built and in a closer proximity to the city !? the mind boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

M&S and Tesco and the like have specific layouts in all their stores that are much easier to do in a new build.

Can't see double decker trucks delivering to Ferrybank. Don't think Dunnes use them.

Would be a kick in the teeth is M&S got in. Would the rates def go to Kilkenny. I would have thought that any business out as far as Euro fuels would be still within Waterford boundries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I'm pretty certain it would go to KK, as thats where the planning permission was obtained from ?

TBH, I couldn't give a ****e where the rates go, If Waterford City Centre falls in on itself, the City Council have no one to blame but themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

As a blow-in so to speak I'm a bit baffled to see people giving out about whether KK or Waterford get the rates. In reality the building is still part of the overall catchment area and would service the entire community? :confused:

Not wishing to offend anybody but Waterford is only a big town and surely something like this shopping centre would enhance the shopping potential of the area and bring business into the community as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Its an awfully ugly building anyway, and in a completely inappropriate site.

I can't imagine how it got planning permission;

Well, actually I can, I suspect it was the Kilkenny planners 'cocking a snook' at Waterford.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Is this thing open yet can anyone located in that area tell me?

Ah. Just saw this: http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2009/09/15/story31360.asp

But then again
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749656

Confusedly..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think we need a sticky on this :p

That development is completed, but nothing has moved in. All sorts of rumours floating about so until a paper confirms a story - id dismiss what you here. :)

This development actually is in reference to another development, down by Abbey Drive there - much smaller and same story applies. This topic kind of mixed between both. Think ill merge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Since we have a few different topics discussing two developments in Ferrybank, neither of which are in use, I have decided to merge the threads and edit the first post as a summary.

Ross and Abbey - Small Retail Units, Abbeylands/AbbeyDrive area
    Consisting of a number of small units which were expected to open ages ago with small retailers. Its completed development and nobody has moved into the site at all.

Ferrybank Shopping Center - Large Complex - New Ross Road
    This is basically a Kilkenny version of City Square but much bigger. Its now fully completed, but again, nobody has moved into the site at all.

Despite many rumours in circulation from reliable sources - no retailer is expected to move into any of the above sites in the near future. Someone will update this thread probably when a retailer is actually confirmed for any of the sites via local press (rather then "reliable sources").

Topic Merged

Advertisement