Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€600 too much - nissan micra - help please?

Options
  • 13-11-2008 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I was onto this nissan dealership in waterford to ask for a price on getting parts fitted for a 1994 nissan micra, I have the parts - a distributor and a gearbox and they want to charge me €600 for the installation!?!?!

The parts didn't even cost €300, i think its a complete rip off but I'm new to this car business and i need a working car, am i being ripped off? and if so what price should i be looking to pay for an installation if i go somewhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

I was onto this nissan dealership in waterford to ask for a price on getting parts fitted for a 1994 nissan micra, I have the parts - a distributor and a gearbox and they want to charge me €600 for the installation!?!?!

The parts didn't even cost €300, i think its a complete rip off but I'm new to this car business and i need a working car, am i being ripped off? and if so what price should i be looking to pay for an installation if i go somewhere else?

Did you supply the parts ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

He says in his post 'I have the parts', which implies he did supply the parts. The price you're being quoted from a main Dealer to fit the parts sounds about right. A dizzy won't take too long to fit, but the gearbox is time consuming enough. Try a smaller independent garage, the price will be more attractive to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm surprised you got a quote from a main dealer at all. By not supplying you with the parts, they forego a large part of the margin the job would bring to them. And then there are legal issues, if the part should fail, who's fault is it? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not bother with a main dealer for a 1994 car. The price you were quoted must be almost the market value of the car.

I am also surprised they quoted for the work using your own parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Thanks for the advice lads, i thought i was being ripped off but i didn't know where else to go, i went to a few places that quoted me €450. but i got a number off a friend just today, and the guy quoted me €150 which is perfect! i was almost going to put it in for scrappage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Have you ever changed a gearbox?

I have, and I wouldn't do it for Eur150, either.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Have you ever changed a gearbox?

I have, and I wouldn't do it for Eur150, either.......
    Thanks for the input buddy, what's your problem by the way? I got it done for €150 (though i gave him €170 because he did both the gearbox and distributor for a quarter the price of the garage and in less than a day) my car runs now like new, his name is PJ O'shea in gracedieu - waterford for anyone who is looking for a good price on getting parts fitted

I came here for help and I got it, if all you have is a sarcastic comment for no reason, then gtf out of my thread.

I could understand a more expensive car costing that much if there was a tonne of electronic work to be done, but it's not that big a job if it takes 3 hours work and he was happy to do it for me....... so get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Where as €600 seemed to much, €150 seems to cheap. Hope the job is good and lasts as long as you keep the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭AlanAhern

Excellent price! In fairness you cant beat the "true" mechanics.

The gearbox in the micra (to memory) is easy to change so not the hardest of tasks galwaytt. If you have a ramp you are away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Thanks for the input buddy, what's your problem by the way? I got it done for €150 (though i gave him €170 because he did both the gearbox and distributor for a quarter the price of the garage and in less than a day) my car runs now like new, his name is PJ O'shea in gracedieu - waterford for anyone who is looking for a good price on getting parts fitted

I came here for help and I got it, if all you have is a sarcastic comment for no reason, then gtf out of my thread.

I could understand a more expensive car costing that much if there was a tonne of electronic work to be done, but it's not that big a job if it takes 3 hours work and he was happy to do it for me....... so get over yourself.

:rolleyes:

well done on getting the job done for that price, but the guy merely said he wouldn't do it for Eur150 as someone who obviously has done the work before, its not a sarcastic comment or a personal insult
    to you or your family.

theres no need to abuse someone for giving their option. thats what this forum is there for.

• Advertisement

Where as €600 seemed to much, €150 seems to cheap. Hope the job is good and lasts as long as you keep the car.
    Works excellent thanks, I'd say he did it for me cheap because i mentioned my friends name, but apart from that it only took about 3 hours.

I'd say I'll be keeping it for the next two years at least, the car works fine and although I'd love something a bit better i don't see the point in getting a new one until it breaks for good.
    :rolleyes:

well done on getting the job done for that price, but the guy merely said he wouldn't do it for Eur150 as someone who obviously has done the work before, its not a sarcastic comment or a personal insult
    to you or your family.

theres no need to abuse someone for giving their option. thats what this forum is there for.
    I wasn't abusing anyone, but i certainly I wasn't looking for a sob story about how hard it was to change a gearbox, or how he wouldn't do it for 150, I understand it must take some training, but everyone has a hard job, they wouldn't be called jobs if they weren't in some way hard.

I know how long it takes to install one on a Micra because i know roughly that it takes 3 hours to get it out which is how long it took the breakers yard to get it out of there.

I didn't say it was a personal insult to me or my family, it was a "what are you talking about €150 I am righteous" comment - maybe sarcastic was the wrong word for it, but it certainly wasn't constructive in any way.

Not trying to upset anybodies feelings but I was here for help, not for faffing about.

Advertisement