Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pathfinder and VRT

Options
  • 13-11-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭

Hmm, not sure what I am doing wrong here, I am looking at ordinary (non-commercial) Pathfinders, and they are around £10,000 in Autotrader.co.uk, and cheapest in Carzone.ie is around €24,000 - However, the OMSP for VRT is around €40,000! :eek: WTF?

So if I were to import one, the Pathfinder will cost me around €12k and VRT on it would be around €15k! Surely that can't be right..! :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Failte go hEireann :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

:D

On further investigation, there's a 08 Pathfinder straight deal advertised by a local Nissan dealer for €32.5k. May be I should get a quote from them and challenge the OMSP?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes with the 4x4's they seem to be very overpriced in Ireland so this pushes the OMSP up meaning it's usually not worth importing one. I'd say if it was one you were taking in to convert to commercial and avail of the €50 VRT it would be well worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

I wouldn't be worried about VRT on pathfinder if I was buying one.

It could of course be blown out of proportion but I'd have a read of this linky !

http://www.knackerednavara.co.uk/

modm3, thanks for pointing that out, searched their entire forum and there's only one reference to Pathfinder - a clutch failure. I think they have the same engine, but not sure why so few Pathfinder issues? I know the new model Pathfinder is only around since 2005, where as Navara has been around a bit longer.

Okay, coming back to VRT, is it really worth trying to haggle OSMP with Revenue - the difference is massive - OSMP for a three year old model is about 30% more than the dealer price on a 08 model?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Only came across that last week, they look to be a problem. The Pathfinder is supposed to have the Navara engine, so I'd dig a bit more on the issues listed on that website.

Re: The VRT, some cars OMSP have dropped significantly in recent weeks as the revenue boys and girls get around to doing a bit of research. Jan might see most vehicles realigned as they all shot up way over market value when the new system was introduced. They may not reduce big 4x4's but if there is enough evidence - especially from main dealer forecourts of the value of a specific model then there is a greater case for appealing the VRT - a few people have done this successfully, but a bit of an anxious wait as you have to pay the VRT up front !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seablazer1

On a slightly different question, if I buy a used King cab Navara or Club cab L200 pick-up in N. Ireland, which is a 2-door (with 2 tiny seats in the back, that can be removed), will I definitely only be charged 50 euro vrt or, will rev. initially try to charge based on a passenger vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Peter McA

The L200 and Navara are commercial vehicles so their VRT should be only Eur50 - I know it is on the Navara but couldn't be 100per cent about the L200.

Some vehicles such as the Navara are commercial vehicles with 50euro vrt but some of its rivals which are similar sized vehicles, crew cabs and king cabs have a much higher rate of VRT. It has to do with the weight of the vehicle and the way the manufacturers set it up when initially bringing it to the VRT dept for them to decide what level of VRT is charged.

If the L200 is sold in the south a Mitsubishi dealer will be able to tell how much the VRT is exactly from thier pricelist. the single cab here is Eur50 but the double cab may be more.

Dumb question but, can you buy and register a commercial vehicle without being attached to a commercial entity (own business etc)? And can you use a commercial vehicle for everyday use (with just the two seats)? I think its a no and a no..? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

Peter McA wrote: »
    The L200 and Navara are commercial vehicles so their VRT should be only Eur50 - I know it is on the Navara but couldn't be 100per cent about the L200.

Some vehicles such as the Navara are commercial vehicles with 50euro vrt but some of its rivals which are similar sized vehicles, crew cabs and king cabs have a much higher rate of VRT. It has to do with the weight of the vehicle and the way the manufacturers set it up when initially bringing it to the VRT dept for them to decide what level of VRT is charged.

If the L200 is sold in the south a Mitsubishi dealer will be able to tell how much the VRT is exactly from thier pricelist. the single cab here is Eur50 but the double cab may be more.

Just be carefull when importing a New Shape Navara Double-Cab from NI or UK, The irish Navara's have been made heavier to take advantage of €50 VRT. The NI & UK versions are Lighter in weight so you will have to pay a couple of Grand more VRT. Be Carefull when importing, Check all details, you can so easily get caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Peter McA

positron wrote: »
    Dumb question but, can you buy and register a commercial vehicle without being attached to a commercial entity (own business etc)? And can you use a commercial vehicle for everyday use (with just the two seats)? I think its a no and a no..? :D

Hi, it's not a dumb question at all and the answer is yes and yes. you don't need to be attached to the entity as you put it, registered as sole trader etc, ltd company etc, just buy and drive away.

Peter McA wrote: »
    Hi, it's not a dumb question at all and the answer is yes and yes. you don't need to be attached to the entity as you put it, registered as sole trader etc, ltd company etc, just buy and drive away.

Really? Whats the catch then? Tax? Insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

from what I've been reading lately, you will have to pay the VRT that is calculated on the day.

However, after that you should back immediately with evidence showing adverts that the vehicle is only selling for x amount thus reducing their valuation of the omsp. This would help your case for a rebate, but has typically taken 4 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skb21

hi i am having aproblem with my pathfinder cold starting and also cutting out in general on idle , is this a fuel pump prob or

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

skb21 wrote: »
    hi i am having aproblem with my pathfinder cold starting and also cutting out in general on idle , is this a fuel pump prob or
    Please don't drag up old threads, you're more than welcome to open your own thread.
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement