Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee Beans recommendation

• 13-11-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Newbie here, just got my first coffee maker and should have it over the weekend :D Its a Gaggia Evolution, really looking forward to trying it out.

My fav coffee, instant or ground, up to now was Kenco. I like the mild aftertaste, kind of nutty, no bitterness at all, not acidy............I am hoping that one of the more experienced coffee makers/drinkers can translate that into coherent coffee talk.

To start off with that kind of taste with my own coffee making does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of beans to get? and where?

I would be happier learning with something where I have some idea of the flavour I am trying to achieve.

BTW, thanks to RE*AC*TOR, I have been watching vids on your site and reading reviews. The videos have been giving me great tips on what to watch for etc, the do and do nots :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Glad you found some use for the ramblings and rantings on the site.

First question is of course - do you have a decent grinder?

As to beans, you could do worse than grab some Ariosa beans down in the Temple Bar Market of a Saturday.

They do a Sumatran Mandehling which I found works very well in an espresso machine. Low acidity - nutiness. Might be worth a shot (if they have it on the day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have the use of a grinder, and MDF, for now. Will have to grind for a few days at a time rather than grinding for each cup, not ideal I know, but will get some good airtight jars.

Am asking the other half for a good grinder for Christmas :D

Thanks for the tip. Should have specified that somewhere online to purchase would be good, its awkward for me to get to city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

If you don't mind ordering from the UK - Square Mile and Hasbean are very good.

Ristretto coffee from Co Down are worth a go.

I'd get that grinder asap if I were you. The life of ground coffee is measured in seconds and minutes rather than hours and days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Placed an order from Hasbean on Friday night, looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks for the info :)

Advertisement