Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardest subject

Options
  • 13-11-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey Guys,
    What do you think is the hardest leaving cert option subject?
    For me I think art is. It's so hard to get an A in it.

Comments

It's completely subjective, thus impossible to say. If your weakness is learning large amounts, then I'd imagine it'd be biology or business etc. But if your weakness is more on the maths side, then it's bound to be applied maths or just maths. It really is impossible to say. For me personally, it's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

for me personally it's biology but having had 5 teachers since last christmas i think that affects it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

For me, I'd say French or Irish. I used to be good at languages until a string of bad teachers meant we all got really behind and have sinced tried to catch up, and failed miserably.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Maths, definitely maths, worst subject by far! Though that said, seeing as it's the subject I find hardest, it's much more rewarding to get a question right in maths than in an easier subject like biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

em.. i think i remember reading that the ratio of people who get an a1 in honours maths to the number who sit maths altogether (as in all 3 levels) is the lowest of all the subjects. Supose though thats just because you are forced to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

em.. i think i remember reading that the ratio of people who get an a1 in honours maths to the number who sit maths altogether (as in all 3 levels) is the lowest of all the subjects. Supose though thats just because you are forced to do it.

I do honours maths, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's completely true! I'm not a natural maths genious, find it much easier to learn things off and reproduce :D so I won't be one of the few a1 people.... I'll be in that 5000 or so people failing honours maths!

I'll add that to my list so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

In terms of understanding, Chem sometimes, I love it, and its my favorite subject but sometimes I can be hopelessly lost.

In terms of just not doing well irrespective of how much effort i put into it definitly English, result for me NEVER reflects effort. But whats worse is that know the stuff, it just never really seems to work out in exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Irish.

The most horrible subject ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Hm... I'll say Applied Maths because of how hard it is. It has a vague syllabus so technically, anything can come up. This does happen and you get some really tricky questions. I find it really challenging but I really like the subject. It's a very difficult subject and unlike other subjects, not everyone can pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Honours Maths is the hardest subject. End of.

History requires as much time as it (if not more) but it is easier to get a grasp of, especially for average students.

Business, Biology etc. have a lot of material to learn but again they are understandable.

French is my hardest subject at the moment. My teacher for 5 years left this year and although the new one isn't bad, he's not a patch on the old one. A lot of my friends are getting grinds off the old one aswell.
    Going to have to devote a few hours on the weekend to french from now on as I really like it but don't want to fail!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It all depends on your own personal strengths/weaknesses, and also the quality of teaching you get.

I'm more of a learner than a mathsy person, so I found HL Maths quite difficult. However, I always liked Maths better than the subjects I was better at (like English and Irish) so while it was the most difficult subject for me, it was also the most rewarding/enjoyable. I found Irish fairly easy but didn't particularly like studying it.

In terms of the actual exams, English is probably the most daunting because there's so much writing in it. Most difficult thing anyone has to do for LC imo is the composition piece on Paper 1. But I enjoyed studying poetry and Macbeth, so Paper 2 was easier for me than Paper 1.

So in conclusion:
    Hardest subject = Maths. Toughest exam = English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

In terms of the actual exams, English is probably the most daunting because there's so much writing in it. Most difficult thing anyone has to do for LC imo is the composition piece on Paper 1.
    In fairness, you just have to write a few pages of bull-**** (with good grammar etc.) and you're nearly bound to get 80 or 90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xXxhotstuff xXx

am i think either physics or irish.. all the poems and stories you have to learn for irish is a joke not to mention stair na gaeilge(i mean what is the point in it lyk) , i like the language itself and would love to be fluent but physically cant learn nearly 10 pages of notes for evry f*ckin poem.. in physics there are so many formulas for the same thing tis impossible to know which one to use!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

For me Maths and Irish.
    However when I done my LC this year I done really well in Irish?? :confused:
    Considering since 4th yr I never passed an Irish exam and then all of a sudden I got a C.......
    Me thinks the LC people find marks just so we don't fail our national language....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

For me it's definitely art... I really shouldn't have picked it as i'm only very average. For the majority subjects if you're motivated and study loads your grades will improve but in art, if you're not naturally talented you're kind of stuck! I'm gonna have to make sure I get an A1 in the art history!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

-ME- wrote: »
    For me it's definitely art... I really shouldn't have picked it as i'm only very average. For the majority subjects if you're motivated and study loads your grades will improve but in art, if you're not naturally talented you're kind of stuck! I'm gonna have to make sure I get an A1 in the art history!

You do know you have 6 other subjects that can be your L.C points...Dont worry...Be Happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

callaway92 wrote: »
    You do know you have 6 other subjects that can be your L.C points...Dont worry...Be Happy

Ha i realise that.. but i'm hoping that i won't have to count my probable D3 in Ordinary Level maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

I think the creative subjects would be more difficult like art and music.

It's basically the examiners opinion on whether it's right or wrong and how many marks to give you.

Whereas in the sciences - maths, bio, physics and chem, there is a right and wrong answer - making the exams "easier".

Still, studying for these exams is a lot different.

I'm finding my hardest atm to be Art/Biology! Art because I'm very weird, I'm into gothic art and drawing like that. So I'm worried the examiner will not agree with my methods. Biology because no matter how much I study, it's not going in! Argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

For me its definitely English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Geography was published as the hardest subject to get an A in this year. I believe it too, the course is sickeningly long and I've still yet to actually understand stuff like Plate Tectonics. Furthermore, they nit pick at absolutely any sketch maps/diagrams you draw. A really annoying course to pick up the marks tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

chemistry is definietly my hardest subject by far!

I think the subject that has a reputation of being the hardest, but isn't necessarily the hardest, is applied maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

I suppose because the notion of higher maths is ":eek: - :confused: - :(" so doing further stuff makes it worse.

I think it comes down to what kind of person you are! If you suck at science and maths, obviously the sciences.

If you are crap at grammar and punctuation, then the languages.

If you can't learn a lot, then stay away from history, business and geography.

If you aren't creative/good with hands to an extent, any practical subject is not for you (art/music/woodwork/metalwork/tech).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Hardest: Maths

In Between: Gaeilge, English, French, Biology ( lovely subject but the course can be long and tedious but sure thats life! )

Easiest: Chemistry ( when all goes well which is mostly all the time for me! ) geography, economics

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

It totally depends on your own strengths and weakness.
    Applied Maths isn't generally seen as that difficult. Most people who've done it would actually probably consider just regular higher maths as being the tougher. App maths just has a reputation as being a course for people who are aiming for As in maths and physics, though a lot of the time you'd see people getting As in app maths and Bs and Cs in honours maths.

Personally my toughest subject was Irish, never had a good teacher in my life and generally was never motivated to put in the effort to learn it myself.

Though Geography isn't really a hard subject, I think it's hard to do well in especially for the 'social geography' part of the course which is pretty much BS in my opinion.

I never did Economics in school but having done it in college it seems it would be tough for LC, you really have to have the right mindset for it I think. Same with Physics I'd say, wheras Chem and Bio are more read regurgitate kinda things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

it depends on you personally, what subjects you are weak in.

Honours maths is widely regarded as one of the harder subjects.

Applied Maths isn't generally seen as that difficult. Most people who've done it would actually probably consider just regular higher maths as being the tougher. App maths just has a reputation as being a course for people who are aiming for As in maths and physics, though a lot of the time you'd see people getting As in app maths and Bs and Cs in honours maths.

Yah I totally agree, honours maths is by far the harder of the two. I was just meerly saying that many people (who don't do app maths) view it as one of the hardest, because of it's reputation. At least in my school thats the case anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

There's no way that you can say that one subject is definitively harder than another...if there was, why would anyone do it?:D

A lot of people are saying honours maths, but I genuinely find it ok! And I'm not a really maths/science person, I prefer languages...

I think that it really depends on one's own preferences, the particular syllabus and the teacher.

For me accounting would be the hardest subject, but really that's because our teacher is completely incompetent!...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Don't know how scientific this is - I have derived a list of the hardest subjects to the easiest based on the number of A1's awarded at higher level only, these numbers are a percentage of the number of A1's awarded based on the number of candidates taking the exam

Art
    Construction Studies
    Geography
    Home Economics
    Classical Studies
    Arabic
    Economics
    Music
    English
    Engineering
    Agricultural Economics
    Business
    Religious Education
    Irish
    History
    Technical Drawing
    French
    Spanish
    Agricultural Science
    Maths
    German
    Lithuanian
    Biology
    Accounting
    Latin
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Italian
    Physics & Chemistry
    Applied Maths
    Latvian
    Japanese
    Russian

For further info go to http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2008/nat_stats_2008n.pdf

• Advertisement

Don't know how scientific this is - I have derived a list of the hardest subjects to the easiest based on the number of A1's awarded at higher level only, these numbers are a percentage of the number of A1's awarded based on the number of candidates taking the exam

Art
    Construction Studies
    Geography
    Home Economics
    Classical Studies
    Arabic
    Economics
    Music
    English
    Engineering
    Agricultural Economics
    Business
    Religious Education
    Irish
    History
    Technical Drawing
    French
    Spanish
    Agricultural Science
    Maths
    German
    Lithuanian
    Biology
    Accounting
    Latin
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Italian
    Physics & Chemistry
    Applied Maths
    Latvian
    Japanese
    Russian

For further info go to http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2008/nat_stats_2008n.pdf

Going most A1's to least A1's?

Theres a flaw with the list though, for example: People who do, just say, applied maths generally have an ability and an interest in doing it, making them likely to do better, thus more A1's will be rewarded. The same is also true for Japanese or Latvian etc.

Advertisement