Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

docking station(mp3) appearence history etc?

Options
  • 13-11-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

for my dcg project i have to get the history and appearence and uses for an mp3 docking station! can anyone help out? links or anything? Please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Um...I guess for uses you could say there's less risk of damaging your hearing as you don't have headphones jammed in your ears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Conorob90

Im doin the same project man, theres realy no way of getting the history of the docking station off lik one website, u just have to search the whole web, tiring stuff but itl pay off......i hope, startin my project 2day, im not gona put in the history of the docking station, jus puttin history of music players and den gona compare loads of docking stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This project is crap!They could of seriously picked something much better!No one is my class has an ipod dock,means i gotta go out and buy one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

Tommy_17 wrote: »
    for my dcg project i have to get the history and appearence and uses for an mp3 docking station! can anyone help out? links or anything? Please?
    WHAT SUBJECT IS DCG PART OFF? NEVER HEARD OF IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think DCG is a subject on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Piste wrote: »
    I think DCG is a subject on its own.

Yep, it's basically the new Tech drawing course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Paddles murphy

found a good timeline of the history of audio players here http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/mp3-player.htm/printable if people find good sources or information on the internet this would be a great place for us to pool together cos this project is a balls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paulie_k

this project is a total joke!

docking stations of all things to pick!

no idea how i'm doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭don101

Im in the same boat.. such a rotten project.. simply mp3 player would have been a helll of alot handier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm doing the same project. First off:

There is no history as one company never patented or created one first

An MP3 docking station could be a MP3 CD Player. Define a "docking station" : To couple

The "MP3" CD is "docked" in the "Player" - I coupled the MP3 Cd and the player

Also, most are made for iPods with a limited selection for other brands.

Chances are your will be one for 100's if not thousands so individuality is ruled out

Many people are doing the history of MP3 players, why? It ain't in the question. I'm being made do it but I feel its irrelevant information. :confused:

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I just typed a long reply and got a database error! :(:(

http://www.t4.ie/Exam_Assessment/DCG/DCG%20Student%20Assignment%20(HL%20&%20OL).pdf

Last page. That's the brief, and by the wording I'd say it's just actual MP3 players that can be docked to play aloud. I'm doing the history of how people listened to and shared music

Docking stations are becoming increasingly popular with young people who wish to share the
    music collection on their personal MP3 players with friends.

Many docking stations have features such as a charging facility, in-built speakers, independent
    volume control

I could interpet that as a MP3 CD player. Its an MP3 Player, can share music, can be charged, can have speakers etc...

I know its a stupid argument but I suppose the department can't say "iPods are becoming..."

Anyways, Worst Project Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

I officially hate MP3 docking stations, if I see another one in my life it will have been too early, did someone in the dep seriously think "Hmm , i know how we can really screw with DCG students heads".

Anyway now thats out of my system, I`m nearly finished output 2, moving on to output 3 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rho

dis project is so crap! i can find hardly ntin on da history nd all da projects will be nearly all alike!! HELP!! i h8 dis project!! :(:confused: :eek:

There is no history, thats the catch so to speak. All the technology existed and was just gelled together. Find a niche market, its what I did

k tnx!! :D im dreadin doin it all tho!! i dunno wat 2 do 2 get high marks!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 WhyWhatWhere

Yes.. the project sucks! Imlosing my plot with this project... nothings right!
    - history of mp3 docking stations....? RIDICULOUS! :mad:
    They cant pick a better gadget can they!
    so glad to know im not the only one losing control over this.

Gd luck guys! - imma beat your asses! :P

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 WhyWhatWhere

Ricky91t wrote: »
    This project is crap!They could of seriously picked something much better!No one is my class has an ipod dock,means i gotta go out and buy one!

Get me one too while your at it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Niall 390

Im doing this project too!!Im getting all this info from my teacher about putting the history in....its not in the question..it says of "existing" docking stations.

ANd who worded the brief??

Can any help??Need some ideas??:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanasdf

Never even heard of the subject you's are doing.But for your project you's could register on some tech forums and ask for help, the people on them usually know more than anybody really should about gadgets and what not.

• Advertisement

I h8 dis project!!:mad: I've it nearly done but im afraid da dockin station is 2 simple!! I'm tinkin bot changin it again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Thats what i thought too but then when you actually start modelling it there is at least 8 different parts in even the most simple docking station

8 parts? :) I'm on 56 and a mate is on 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Why so many parts??? when 10ish is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I dont see how you can get that many parts! :O 5 is plenty, thats what it asks for, if there is only 5 in the docking station, so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

How the hell can you get 100 parts?considering that any 2 parts that are the same only count as 1 and anything that is not physically joined to the docking station such as remote controls , plugs,wires etc. don't count at all.They only mark you on your best 5 parts anyway

Correction, there is no marking scheme. Plus, you need to define one part. Does it have to be an assembly? Or can it be a solid block? Mine are all assemblys, so its 58 + each assembly bit...

I amn't boasting or anything. Its just how many are in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thebackpage

each battery and similar things only count as one and the solidworks drawing has to go together the same way as the actual docking station so how can you get that many parts i mean you have
    -main body
    -speakers
    -battery cover
    -buttons
    -lights and signal receptors
    -battery coils and the like
    like where do you get 58 and 100 pieces could you describe some of them

One Screen

-Glass
    -Housing
    -Screws
    -Bracket

To me, when thats assembled, its one part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I've done the first 2 pages, it's all a mass of downloaded images and text, it probably won't even get me 60% of the marks going for the first 2 pages :'(

Advertisement