Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

docking station(mp3) appearence history etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

They said that the whole project would take 40 hours. My output 3 alone took nearly 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

timmywex wrote: »
    this is surely trolling

or all your talking b****, project is 40%, without it, alot of people will be struggling to pass

He didn't say not to do it, he just said don't be too uptight about it. And he's right, they will be giving marks for everything this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

He didn't say not to do it, he just said don't be too uptight about it. And he's right, they will be giving marks for everything this year.
    Exactly they will want t make the new subject look good for the incoming 5th years, and the 5th years doing it now.

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Exactly they will want t make the new subject look good for the incoming 5th years, and the 5th years doing it now.
    Still though I'm not taking any chances.
    Has anyone started section B yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Ya we have attempted to start it, but no one really knows what they are supposed to do really. A lot of lads in my class are stuggling, and the rest of us are just trying or best but we are working blind really.
    For the concept design which I am doing, it's kind of hard to quantify why one design is better than the other. The last thing people doing a technical subject like DCG want is subjective exam correctors!
    But maybe I'm all wrong, who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Maybe you should start panicking.

Its been announced also that all projects can be subjected to scruntiny as in, you must know how you did everything... :(

ironclaw wrote: »
    you must know how you did everything... :(
    What exactly does thus mean? If you did all of the project yourself then obviously you will know how everything was done.They could only really scrutinise the model to see if you have all of the parts.sketches and features labelled correctly i.e you know what each part is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ruined_Silver

I'm struggling with it.. :( And to make things worse our teacher is one of those old guys who thinks we should do everything ourselves, so none of us really know what to do! :eek: Anyone else got next to nothing done?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I have the first solidworks piece done, when is the hand up date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

March 6th, scaryily close now when you take the mid term week out and 2 weeks of mocks

• Advertisement

What exactly does thus mean? If you did all of the project yourself then obviously you will know how everything was done.They could only really scrutinise the model to see if you have all of the parts.sketches and features labelled correctly i.e you know what each part is

You can be sat in a room with a laptop and asked to draw various objects. In a nice way but its to prove you did the work yourself.

I've just finished the basic components of my concept design, so I'm reasonable happy... for the moment.
    We are having to give up our lunchbreaks on mondays and tuesdays though.
    But we are getting there, well some of us anyway, some of the lads in my
    class are still on the first solidworks piece.
    For this progress there has been a trade off though, our pre now will not be
    sat until april rather than in 3 weeks as to give us time to cover enough
    to actually do the paper.
    Anyone else in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭don101

I'm struggling with it.. :( And to make things worse our teacher is one of those old guys who thinks we should do everything ourselves, so none of us really know what to do! :eek: Anyone else got next to nothing done?

still gotta properly start mine! stumped on output 1 so its hard to get my teeth into it!

Des23 wrote: »
    For this progress there has been a trade off though, our pre now will not be
    sat until april rather than in 3 weeks as to give us time to cover enough
    to actually do the paper.
    Anyone else in a similar situation?
    Ya our mocks have been moved back to just after the hand up date for the project. Unfortunately they are now the 2 weeks before the orals.If you've got your concept figured then your pretty much done with the project.me im just doing the assembly of the existing docking station now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Our mocks are monday week, so to cover drawing work we've done about 4 1 hoiur classes after school so we're not fecked for the mocks

Also we are doing up to 5 hours on the project this coming saturday, the teacher is going in for 5 hours and said we can come and go as we please! Fairly cool of him!

Just a bit of advice for people only starting their solidworks now.
    Try and design all the parts at the same time and constantly
    assemble them, it saves a lot of headaches towoards the end
    when you think all you have to do is put them together and things
    don't fit. It can cause nightmares because if its something you did
    early on in the part that needs changing, it can destroy the whole
    thing. Using this method I've got my concept design done in less
    than half the time it took me to do my first drawing.
    Keep it in mind imo.

Des23 wrote: »
    Try and design all the parts at the same time and constantly
    assemble them, it saves a lot of headaches towoards the end
    when you think all you have to do is put them together and things
    don't fit.

Who would draw individual parts and then decide to put them all together? :rolleyes: You shouldn't be doing TG if you did that. You build it step by step, with each step checking & building the assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Who would draw individual parts and then decide to put them all together? :rolleyes: You shouldn't be doing TG if you did that. You build it step by step, with each step checking & building the assembly.

I've been doing that, it saves alot of time when it comes to the final assembly, oh and your right I am not doing Tech Graph. I am doing DCG, and doing it well.

Rich1691 wrote: »
    oh and your right I am not doing Tech Graph. I am doing DCG, and doing it well.

Bravo..

It was just a comment. I couldn't possibly imagine building something seperately then hoping it would all fit together. In my case 2 or 3 componets would depend on one being just so. Depends on the station I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Ok, couldn't resist,:D how much of the project have you done? I'd interested to know how much of the project people have got done to see if I'm on track etc..

• Advertisement

I'm finished as of today.

I'm just finishing up on the concept design - should be finished the project by Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

What?!No one in my class has begun the concept yet,
    I'm the furthest ahead and just finished the cad model :confused:

I have about 1 more class of work left on the CAD for my concept design. But I have a 3 or 4 of my sheets half done so i still have a small bit of work left, its starting to come together nicely though. As a matter of interest is anyone planning on going into this area of things in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Any tips on the compare and contrast?

Just out of curiosity how much detail did ye all go into in the CAD model?
    I think I went into it in way too much detail, put in holes for screws,insides of speakers and painfully detailed battery clips. I've spent almost a month at it though and the whole thing is well over 10MB.

Just out of curiosity how much detail did ye all go into in the CAD model?
    I think I went into it in way too much detail, put in holes for screws,insides of speakers and painfully detailed battery clips. I've spent almost a month at it though and the whole thing is well over 10MB.

Mines over 11MB including all parts, one part alone is 6.5MB, I have done alot of detail, but not that much!!

Mb's mean nothing folks. Its what it looks like and realism.

Mb's mean nothing folks. Its what it looks like and realism.
    Mines exact! After many a compliment on it! :D

• Advertisement

I'm getting worried now with all these crazy mb figures being thrown around!:eek: Mine altogether is about 6. Although I didn't pick a particularly extravagant docking station because I bought one. I am happy with the realism of it though and my teacher seems to think its ok.

I'm starting to get worried about a few of the lads in my class who are still on their first CAD model with no other outputs done! The teachers only after realising and hes dragging them through it now.

Advertisement