Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

docking station(mp3) appearence history etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Des23 wrote: »
    I'm starting to get worried about a few of the lads in my class who are still on their first CAD model with no other outputs done! The teachers only after realising and hes dragging them through it now.

Pfft, i haven't even done 1 page of CAD yet and now i'm doing my mocks. If i get this completely done by the deadline (Which needs to be pushed back again) it'll be a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

. I've spent almost a month at it though and the whole thing is well over 10MB.
    Finally finished the solidworks and the whole thing is 28Mb. Just wondering are people doing the conceot or modification?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

ironclaw wrote: »
    Mb's mean nothing folks. Its what it looks like and realism.

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rugbyslinks

Honestly I dont thinh ye need to be goin into half the detail ya are. 40 hours is the reccomended amount of time we are meant to spend on it. I am nearly there and have outputs 1,2,4,5,6 done......so huge extremely detailed solid works projects are not necessary. they carry the seme marks as the artistic side of the project so should they not take the same amount of time!!!.....my solid works is around 3.7MB and has 8 parts.

Why would you spend just 40 hours on it when it's worth 40% of the marks? They're marks there for the taking all it needs is a bit of work.

• Advertisement

Because 40 hours is the time the project should take. Maybe someone can it finished in less than 40 hours!

Does anyone know if 2 people from the saem class can do a similar concept design?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rugbyslinks

eoccork wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 2 people from the saem class can do a similar concept design?

Yeah I'd say so, there is not much scope for huge variation. We havent started the concept design in my school yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Metamorphisis

this is making me slightly worried... when ye're adding up the size are ye just taking the size of the assembly itself or adding all of the parts' sizes? because seriously, one way it's like 1mb and the other it's like 10...

this is making me slightly worried... when ye're adding up the size are ye just taking the size of the assembly itself or adding all of the parts' sizes? because seriously, one way it's like 1mb and the other it's like 10...
    Mb's mean nothing folks. Its what it looks like and realism.

Again restating the size of your work means nothing, its the quality of it that matters, as long as you have over the 5 parts you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yeah folks, remember you have to do the write up aswell. Thats worth more than the CAD model if you look at the broader picture. Just because your CAD is A1 doesn't mean the write up can be skipped over. And to be honest, its infinitely harder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Metamorphisis

:D thanks... i gues it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lauren-Jones

im in 5th year and im bein forced to do the project for 'practise' it soooooooooo horrible and mine is due right after mid-term its not cool someone pls give us a lil help:(

im in 5th year and im bein forced to do the project for 'practise' it soooooooooo horrible and mine is due right after mid-term its not cool someone pls give us a lil help

Any particular area? Your in a lucky postion in that you get a practise run. And will know roughly what an A1 is. We're all working blind at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

im in 5th year and im bein forced to do the project for 'practise' it soooooooooo horrible and mine is due right after mid-term its not cool someone pls give us a lil help:(

Last year my class were involved in the pilot scheme for the project. Our concept was Outdoor lighting which wasn't the most exciting topic. I did find it quite helpful because we had the time to complete the project and get experience using solidworks. I'd be greatful if I were you, next year when you're doing the actual project you will realise that the "practise Project" was a great help and experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

i need sum tips 4 d sketching pleeeeeeezzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

What are you having problems with?

Some general tips though.
    Practice it first before doing it on the actual sheets. Draw it lightly with a 2H pencil before going over it with a 4B sketching pencil. This limits the amount of stray marks left on the paper which gives it a better appearance.
    Use a extra piece of paper to rest your hand on so that your hand doesn't smudge the rest of your sketch when you are working on another part.

jabn wrote: »
    i need sum tips 4 d sketching pleeeeeeezzzzzz
    i think the most important thing when sketching is that you keep everything in proportion. The best way to do this is to draw everything lightly in a box first.If you smudge the lead with your finger this is a very good way of creating shadows. Dooes anyone know how to convert open office files to PDF?

Saving as PDF's in OpenOffice is easy enough.

Open the file you want to convert. Click on the file menu and go down to export. Then select PDF in the drop down box.

Depending on the version you are using the option to Export as PDF may also be in the file menu.

Becareful with OpenOffice PDF files, they awon't always display everything you type. Printing is better throught PDF-Redirect or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lauren-Jones

yeah but im so stuck and i have a week to do it

Becareful with OpenOffice PDF files, they awon't always display everything you type. Printing is better throught PDF-Redirect or similar.
    All of the files on the C.D ,except for the model,have to be converted to pdf as well as printed so there isn't really any way round it.

Ye as was said above as Open Office follows the PDF specifications to the letter. The actual implementation never really follows the specification which causes problems.

The way my class is doing it is to scan in all of the sheets and have the program the scanner uses output as PDF. If you have problems with OpenOffice's exported PDF's try using this method.

thanks for d tips but can u use pastels and charcoal or stuff like dat 4 d sketches? or can you only use pencils and colouring pencils?

does anyone have any ideas for the layout for the first page of the comparing and contrasting. i have a lot of my project done but no matter what way i layout this page it looks awful. no one can follow it

thanks for d tips but can u use pastels and charcoal or stuff like dat 4 d sketches? or can you only use pencils and colouring pencils?

The department of education hasn't defined what we can and cannot use. Because of that at least for this year its free range. The most they can do is change the rules for next year as it would be unfair to dock marks for something they have never actually said was incorrect.

I don't have a copy of the DCG handbook anymore as I had to return it after I finished my project however I think that one of the examples was done with Charcoal. There defiantly was one done with water paints. This would suggest we aren't limited to a standard set of pencils.
    does anyone have any ideas for the layout for the first page of the comparing and contrasting. i have a lot of my project done but no matter what way i layout this page it looks awful. no one can follow it

Try keep it simple. My suggestion would be split the page in 2. One side for one of the docking stations and then the other side for the other one. Then at the bottom you can put any extra information needed.
    Its better to have it easier to follow than looking spectacular.

Do you think that I should put sketches into the first page of the outout or just leave that for the second page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Annie2

Does anyone have any good docking stations to compare for output two? I honestly don't know what I'm at. Can someone please help me,
    I am starting to get really worried about the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Annie2

If the docking station has a remote with it could you count it as a part and can you count the mp3 player as a part also? Or is it just the main part of the docking station????

• Advertisement

Do you think that I should put sketches into the first page of the outout or just leave that for the second page?
    That depends greatly on the way you want your project to look. Depending on the style you are using it may not look well to have sketches on the first 2 pages. It all depends. In my case I dont have sketches on either of the first 2 pages.
    Annie2 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good docking stations to compare for output two? I honestly don't know what I'm at. Can someone please help me,
    I am starting to get really worried about the project.
    Try choosing 2 docking stations that have enough similar features yet enough different features to be able to compare them. It may be easier to do this if you choose 2 docking stations that are not used for the same purpose.
    Annie2 wrote: »
    If the docking station has a remote with it could you count it as a part and can you count the mp3 player as a part also? Or is it just the main part of the docking station????
    For my project I included a remote as a extra part on the modification as I designed it to fit into the docking station. Several other people in my class used the remote as a part on the original docking station as-well. I haven't heard of anyone using a MP3 player as a part.

Are you having trouble creating the required 5 parts that you are looking for others or is this just an extra part?

Advertisement