Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

docking station(mp3) appearence history etc?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Annie2

Isaac702 wrote: »
    Are you having trouble creating the required 5 parts that you are looking for others or is this just an extra part?

yea I'm having trouble creating the required 5 parts for the docking station. Do you have the name of an existing docking station with a lot of parts in it? If so that would be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Its a lot easier to model a docking station that you have yourself. It allows you to easily take measurements of each section of it.

Most docking stations will have at least 5 parts. Try to imagine the way it was built and then model the parts it would actually be made from.

This is the approach I used and ended up with the following;
    1 part for the bottom section of the base.
    1 part for the top section of the base and speaker surround.
    1 part for the speaker.
    1 part for the battery cover.
    1 part for the surround around the controls.
    1 part for the controls.
    1 part for the section with the dock.

You shouldn't have a problem identifying enough parts if you use a method like this.

I do't actually have one myself and I am looking for a good one to buy for the project. So if you could reccommend one that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

How many modifications would you need to make to the docking station?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

jabn wrote: »
    How many modifications would you need to make to the docking station?
    I'm doing about 4, don't see why you'd need any more than that.

• Advertisement

I'm also looking for a good docking station to buy, anyone got any suggestion that are not too pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

its ridiculous giving a brief of something that not everybody has... we shouldn hav to go out nd spend money on the object, which is what we have to do because realistically you cant model one without havin one!

that said i am in fairly good shape with the project, i have most of the sketches done nd nearly finished the first drawings on solidworks must jus draw the modifications on solidworks now.. hows everyone else getting on with it????

croker1 wrote: »
    its ridiculous giving a brief of something that not everybody has...
    i totally agree but do you hav any suggestions for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

croker1 wrote: »
    its ridiculous giving a brief of something that not everybody has... we shouldn hav to go out nd spend money on the object, which is what we have to do because realistically you cant model one without havin one!

that said i am in fairly good shape with the project, i have most of the sketches done nd nearly finished the first drawings on solidworks must jus draw the modifications on solidworks now.. hows everyone else getting on with it????

I liked the brief even though I dont have a docking station. I still have Outputs 3,7,8 to complete. I am sick of rendering:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

What do ye all think of the O.L project?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Jello wrote: »
    I'm doing about 4, don't see why you'd need any more than that.

I think the new concept is much easier. Just think about it and you will come up with a good, original idea. The simpler the better. Just look at simple, everyday objects and see could you incorporate any of them into a dock. It makes output 7 and 8 really easy. Its more natural or something. You're not confined to proving why something needs that modification but what you want to do. It makes it far easier and I think you will get marks easier this way.

Just think about it anyway. You have to criticise another man's work. The docking station you are doing has been designed by a professional. It can't be easy to find anything wrong with the design and therefore your modifications would only be minor or not really necessary.

Ya but if you do a new concept you have to explain how you came up with the idea.I think it's much easier to identify problems and try to come up with solutions.If you do this you don't have much modelling because you can use parts from section A.

please i really need help in picking a docking station, if anyone has any good suggestions about a good one to buy i would really really appreciate it. i need to buy one before i go back to school on monday which leaves me less than a week to buy one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Just think about it anyway. You have to criticise another man's work. The docking station you are doing has been designed by a professional. It can't be easy to find anything wrong with the design and therefore your modifications would only be minor or not really necessary.

That is true however the designer was limited by what the company could actually produce and what is technologically possible. We dont have to plan that far ahead as we don't have to factor in the internal circuitry for the device. Because of this the ideas we come up with do not actually have to be possible in a production environment.

This allows us give ideas that may have been rejected in the actual development of the project due to technological limitations or due to funding.

I am not saying that the modifications is any easier or difficult than the concept (I went with modifications). However I dont believe that because a professional designer created this doesnt mean there are ways that you can improve the docking station.

Edit:
    jabn wrote: »
    please i really need help in picking a docking station, if anyone has any good suggestions about a good one to buy i would really really appreciate it. i need to buy one before i go back to school on monday which leaves me less than a week to buy one

Do you know anyone with a docking station that you could borrow. I didn't have one myself but got one from a friend.

the only person i know that has one only has an old square one that doesnt even work any more. nobody in my dcg class has one either.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

I managed to make mine from pictures alone. Finding the manual for the dock was a godsend, (it costs something like $230). I managed make a LOT of parts for it too, took a while though. Still need to do the concept, which is going to be way simpler.

You guys are leaving it awfully late to go about making this thing are you not? The deadlines in less than 3 weeks.
    That said, I've got my model done and very little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Ya but if you do a new concept you have to explain how you came up with the idea.I think it's much easier to identify problems and try to come up with solutions.If you do this you don't have much modelling because you can use parts from section A.

Ya but its easy to justify why you came up with a design. Say for example, you live by the sea or you have recently taken up surfing (fastest growing sport in Ireland) Your new concept could have the sea as the theme. Your new dock could be like a big wave, where the dock sits into the "trough" and the crest is curling over the top of it.

Its very easy to communicate this - you could start off with a design exactly like a wave and then change it so it still has the shape of the wave but isn't as detailed. You could put up loads of pictures of waves and surfing and explore different ideas with the sea as a theme and then focus in on the wave.

This is just an idea off the top of my head as I type this and isn't my actual concept, but my concept is based around something that all young people will be watching/playing this time of year.

It is original, and originality will get you marks. Plus you don't have to argue why your docking station needs certain modifications. You are not going to be assessed on the possibility of getting your concept produced - its all about how you communicate your ideas. Your concept could be a really odd thing that would never, ever be produced, but as long as the corrector can see where you got your inspiration from and can see your train of thought then it will get you marks.

Remember this subject is about design, not about technology.

That wave one is a really cool idea. It's making me reconsider my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Does anyone else think that this project has f'ed up their study time for other subjects, I am going to do terrible in Pre's because of it!

Well, the thing is, the project counts towards the actual Leaving, the Mocks don't, so if you think about it, the project should really be priority. After March that's it, while there are still several months to study everything else. Easier said than done though, My mocks are done now thankfully.

• Advertisement

Can someone please help, i feally need the name of a good docking station to use for the project.:(

iLuv have lots of good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

eoccork wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that this project has f'ed up their study time for other subjects, I am going to do terrible in Pre's because of it!

yes i havent got any studying done for my pre, of course its not entirely because of the project but the project has prevented me from gettin any study done.

so far i have page 1 done, compare and contrast, the sketch and the first computer part.

still have to start the new concept design, hopefully will get some of it done 2day!

btw when the deadline, i was told str8 after the pre but no specific date!

March 6th, you've got about 2 and a half weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I just did my entire project in one and a half weeks and Im quite proud of it actually, our teacher only let us start it coz he's all old and slow it wasn't out of laziness :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Anyone have any ideas of what to do for the second page of output 2 (compare and contrast).

All I can think of doing is sketching the two docks and comparing the features etc, don't see how I can get more than one page out of this, when it says you need 2-3.

At least with the camera sample you could compare the film used vs. digital and flash types.

You could compare the size, shape and physical form on one page and the features on the other. A few sketchs would also be a good idea.

Heggy wrote: »
    March 6th, you've got about 2 and a half weeks.

thats fukin bull****, that leaves me with 1 day after my pres so i actually have about 2 days left to do it, this cant be right cuz my skul is off on that friday so we wont have time to put stuff on discs and get it bounded togeter etc.

Jello wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas of what to do for the second page of output 2 (compare and contrast).

All I can think of doing is sketching the two docks and comparing the features etc, don't see how I can get more than one page out of this, when it says you need 2-3.

At least with the camera sample you could compare the film used vs. digital and flash types.

on the first page i showed main dimesions and main features then 2nd page showed how they both used USB, AC ADAPTOR and Line Cable, and showed how one can fold and showed how one has a turning volume knob and the other doesnt

• Advertisement

hey can anyone help me with part b. okay its reccommended 2-4 pages, am doin 2 cuz stuck on time on lost on what to do.
    what should i do on the 2 pages, on one show the features on my new concept design and explain them but then what do i do on the 2nd page????

and then i know to do a free hand sketch of it and of course the computer part

Advertisement