Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

docking station(mp3) appearence history etc?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

For my first i just discussed the reasoning behind my concept and what I wanted to do, it had a nice bit of writing with some sketches, on the second I just went into detail on how I designed it with loads of sketches and some photos of inspirational material(I should have probably put these on the first pg!) . That's all I did I'm sure there are some people on here who would be able to offer better advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eoinkk

If people hav dere project dne already dere bull****in!!!!! dey might hav it dne but it wont b anygud!!!!! Im lik evryone else, "****ed"!!!!!! im sorted dough 4 da tech drawing part !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

It's quite possible for people to have it done, the only reason my class hasn't it done is we spent too much time messing about and not focussing on the right stuff.

You can't do the maximum recommended pages for anything anyway, because there are 9 outputs and if you do the max it totals twenty something, so I wouldn't worry too much about it only being the minimum pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

i decided am doing the modifications instead, btw it says on the pink handout about the project that it must be completed on the 27th of february! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Cathal_91 wrote: »
    i decided am doing the modifications instead, btw it says on the pink handout about the project that it must be completed on the 27th of february! :eek:

It was extended to the 6th of March.

Me thinks it will need to be extended again! A lot in my class may not get it done at all! They keep going back on themselves. A perfect example is the sketching. I spent a week doing all the sketches in an A4 sketch pad and had them all scanned in. I had to reduce the size in most of them so the sketches in the pad are useless and I have to do them all again:mad::mad::mad:

The digital camera project that they brought out last year as a sample, I was told by my teacher would only be worth a C now because they don't want you to do half of what is in it!!!

This project is seriously driving me loopy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

im finished, but my concept was a jukebox docking station which is already out, i didnt research it until i decided i was going to do it, i kinda guessed there would have been one of those out already anyway, do u think ill get marks deducted?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

eoinkk wrote: »
    If people hav dere project dne already dere bull****in!!!!! dey might hav it dne but it wont b anygud!!!!! Im lik evryone else, "****ed"!!!!!! im sorted dough 4 da tech drawing part !!!!!!

I am sure plenty of people have it done and is good enough to get an A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I spent a week doing all the sketches in an A4 sketch pad and had them all scanned in. I had to reduce the size in most of them so the sketches in the pad are useless and I have to do them all again:mad::mad::mad:

All freehand sketches have to be originals, or are they just sketches for the project?
    The digital camera project that they brought out last year as a sample, I was told by my teacher would only be worth a C now because they don't want you to do half of what is in it!!!

I would disregard that. No one, not even the Dept. know what an A is yet. An A will change throughout the summer after all the conferences. Its the first year so its bound to change. If you excel the sample then you bound to be in the higher bracket I'd say.

tank god its been pushed back to march 6th, though i still dont have much time because of my pre's...i hope i can get some of this modifications sheets done tonight

have english paper 1 2moro so cant really study for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

My teacher said he was at one of the inservice conference days about the project and they said there's no way they'll pushing back the due date of March 6th. Would love if they did though!

• Advertisement

We could get some sort of petition going, get all your teachers to request that the date be postponed, if they get enough I'm sure they'd cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

ironclaw wrote: »
    I would disregard that. No one, not even the Dept. know what an A is yet. An A will change throughout the summer after all the conferences. Its the first year so its bound to change. If you excel the sample then you bound to be in the higher bracket I'd say.

Exactly because of the way the Leaving Certificate is marked we have no idea of any of the results. Because the way our system works there is always a similar number of A, B, C , etc.. every year regardless how well or bad that year did. The department modifies the marking scheme so that they reach the target they want in each subject.

Also I think any teacher that says that is simply making assumptions based on what he/she him/her self thinks. It could also be a way of motivating the class to do more than they are expected.

im finished, but my concept was a jukebox docking station which is already out, i didnt research it until i decided i was going to do it, i kinda guessed there would have been one of those out already anyway, do u think ill get marks deducted?
    not at all....nearly every design has been done, as long as you have a few reasons why you have certain features on it etc.

there will be very few original new concept designs!

How do you explain something if you can find no real instance of it in any natural thing, and while there may be something similar in another device, it's really only a slight similarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

What docking station did anyone else pick? I picked the iBlast but I don't think that it is a great one

jabn wrote: »
    What docking station did anyone else pick? I picked the iBlast but I don't think that it is a great one

I don't think the docking station you pick will make too much difference its the quality of the model they are looking for I would think.
    That said if that is an extremely simple device then obviously it may not be the best choice but if it is a reasonably standard one I would think how well your Solidworks outputs are will have far more of a bearing on you grade than what you are modeling from.

jabn wrote: »

I don't think the docking station you pick will make too much difference its the quality of the model they are looking for I would think.
    That said if that is an extremely simple device then obviously it may not be the best choice, but if it is a reasonably standard one, I would think how well your Solidworks outputs are done will have far more of a bearing on you grade than what you are modeling from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Annie2

I need a modification for my docking station. I spent ages trying to think of one and when I finally did i found out a couple of days later that someone else in my class had that modification done before me:mad::(:(:(
    I really need help:confused::confused::confused::confused:

What sort of dock is it? Does it lack anything?
    You could change the speakers so that they are outside, or vice versa, depending on the dock, or just add more. You could make the screen bigger or a different shape on the grounds of visibility. Move the iPod connector, or have something to enclose the iPod to keep it protected. If it's small but not portable, you could change it so that it is, by adding a battery compartment, a handle, or grips of some sort.
    What modifications have you already, the guide says that 3 to 4 should at least be explored?

How do you do the appendix for the docking station project? I havn't got a clue what to do:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

I haven't got a clue either, our teacher isn't telling us anything about it
    :(:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Annie2 wrote: »
    How do you do the appendix for the docking station project? I havn't got a clue what to do:confused::confused::confused:

The appendix at the end is I think where you acknowledge your sources. Eg that is where you put all the links to your pictures or if any of the text is copied or pasted from the internet you acknowledge it here.

Some people put the link under the picture so they might not need an appendix. I put a reference number at all pictures I took from the internet and in the appendix I will give the links to all these pictures.

PS it takes AGES to get all these links if you didn't do them as you go.

Does anyone know what feature you could contrast in a docking station? I have left the page until last so that I could think about but I still have no idea. I have the rest of the project done but I don't know what to do for this page. Can someone please help me.:(

annie compare the speaker output of both i.e 2 x 20w
    if they have a screen or not
    can it charge the ipod
    does he need batterys or mains powered
    shape and size is it small and portable?
    does it have a volume knob or buttons??

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rugbyslinks

Woo i finally got the bleddy thing handed up!!! :) Did ye get it done??

i got mine done quite cofortably at about 10am on friday, loads of people rushing ta get it done in skul haha

mine was 13 pages, im pretty happy with it tbh, think i got a B hopefully.
    only thing is i did the computer part on my own solidworks at home, do you think it will matter??

only thing is i did the computer part on my own solidworks at home, do you think it will matter??

If you look back a few pages it was discussed in detail, and honestly no one is 100% sure. I would think that if only 1 or 2 parts were done at home they might have a bit of leiniency (sp?) since it is the first year and all, but if the whole thing was done at home and they go to check your project's authenticity (albeit this will only happen to a select few) then it mightn't bode too well.

The truth is no on knows for certain though.

yeah well i did bit at skul and home, but then just worked at it at home cuz otherwise i wud never get it done, anyway it was last saved on the computer at school.

but it doesnt make sense...i mean you do all the sketches at home, its far easier to get sum1 to dem for you, than the solidworks part. i doubt there will be any hassle over it, i mean if there was and they needed to see me do it in front of them then i would be able to so im not worried since its all my work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rolo45

but it doesnt make sense...i mean you do all the sketches at home, its far easier to get sum1 to dem for you, than the solidworks part.

Well Your supposed to do the Sketches under the teachers supervision but I don't think the teachers really enforce that as no ones ever gonna know you didnt do it, no tags like.

Well our teachers letting us do the last few pages on monday. we're just not allowed do Solidworks. :p

Seems that everyone is just about gettin it done.

Only have 3 A3 pages left on the Concept :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Metamorphisis

is it true that the projects need to be in athlone or wherever for monday? how long would things take to get there? will there be leeway for the post being late? because, it really always is...

Advertisement