Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE TV Show about Consumer Affairs

Options
  • 13-11-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭

I can see why RTE has been hitting Irish forums all over the place new Consumer Affairs programme on RTE right now. Just thought I would post it here to let ye know. Talking about fake modelling agency right now.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

...... Talking about fake modelling agency right now.

Interesting, nice to know there currently discussing a real topic (fake modelling agency) that actually affects us all :rolleyes:

Lets hope they actually discuss more realistic stuff in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Did you watch last weeks show or all of lasts night episode ? Obviously not given your case of foot in mouth above. Go back and watch both episodes before trying to be smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Not quite watchdog.... but watchable.

Last nights episode was certainly no where near as good as the previous one all right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jip wrote: »
    Did you watch last weeks show or all of lasts night episode ? Obviously not given your case of foot in mouth above. Go back and watch both episodes before trying to be smart.

If you can tell me that modeling agency's affect the vast majority of Irish people then I'll gladly retract my comment, other then that its hardly an important topic and they should pick stuff more relevant

So you think that before an issue appears on something like "Buyer Beware" or "Watchdog" it must first affect the vast majority of people in the relevant country ?
    They'd be short runs.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    So you think that before an issue appears on something like "Buyer Beware" or "Watchdog" it must first affect the vast majority of people in the relevant country ?
    They'd be short runs.

You could fool me, Watchdog has been running for years in the UK running issues that appeal to the vast majority, I'd expect RTE to atleast start on general issues

This RTE show won't last very long, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Agree with Caball.

Seems destined for a short series of one off semi-interesting topics, rather than a serious look on an ongoing basis in the way Watchdog does things.

Doesnt really know what it wants to be - a watchdog style program or the 8.30 Lifestyle program (Show me the money, SHowhouse, type). A bit of direction and proper objectives would have helped. Think it wouldnt appear to be so thrown together as a result.

Cabaal wrote: »
    You could fool me, Watchdog has been running for years in the UK running issues that appeal to the vast majority, I'd expect RTE to atleast start on general issues

This RTE show won't last very long, :)

When you've actually seen either of the episodes come back to us then with an argument, until then there's no point in commenting about something you haven't seen.

Seems to have a mix of actual issues and filler

"Episode two talks to unsuspecting girls who paid up to €300 to a modelling agency which failed to deliver on promises made."

Still won't go further then a second season going on RTE's record of such programs, whats this the 3rd attempt they've made at a consumer program?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The guy last night was hopeless as a con man.

Each time he got caught he gave all the money back.

He was doorstepped by the RTE guy , shook hands and had a chat.

At the end I felt almost sorry for him because he was the world's worst conman.

Next we'll see RTE take on the grannies selling out-of-date minerals down the Coal Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

were these shows advertised? as this is the 1st i've heard of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

BBC has a big advantage over RTE where this type of consumer affairs programming is concerned, in that they don't rely on advertising revenue, so they can tackle the banks, insurance companies, the big retailers and any of the major retail brand names. In the past RTE's attempts at consumer affairs programmes have seemed to try to stay clear of any story that might upset one of their major advertisers, which might explain stories that only affect a small number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Saw it last week (1st episode of the series) and they covered bogus clothing collections, thought that was pretty relevant if my experience is anything to go by! For anybody who missed it, long story short the clothes make organised eastern european gangs a fortune and are shipped offshore in containers within days of being collected to such far away plcaes as South America & Africa.

Guess we already knew that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Fake model agency already covered on liveline.Boucher hayes is good reporter but needs something more substantail

Advertisement