Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Control

Options
  • 13-11-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Is there a way to enforce some kind of bandwidth limit for clients connected to my wireless modem, I have a student in my house and ever since hes arrived hes been draining our connection, getting very annoying waiting ages for pages to load. Is there a program that can help me control this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Unfortunately not my friend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Irlbo wrote: »
    Unfortunately not my friend

:rolleyes:

Search google for 'Traffic Shaping' There are a number of programs both free and shareware that can do what your looking for. Personally I'd just say it to the student that his downloading is effecting the rest of the house!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tell the student to stop using P2P software like bittorrent or you'll cut them off...simple as :)

Normal web browsing won't kill a net connection which means they are likely downloading stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

vodkadub wrote: »
    Is there a way to enforce some kind of bandwidth limit for clients connected to my wireless modem, I have a student in my house and ever since hes arrived hes been draining our connection, getting very annoying waiting ages for pages to load. Is there a program that can help me control this?

Thanks
    What's the router? Some router's can be configured with QoS (so you can prioritise e.g port 80, which is for browsing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah if using a torrent program, you can assign it to only use a part of the connection so you could just tell him to throttle it down.

Although if its anything iillegal and the account is in your name, you'd probably be the one to get accused of it if it was detected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭vodkadub

Not really concerned about the legalities as I'm a torrent user myself, I've came across a program known as switchsniffer, it would make my computer act as the router so I can see all traffic passing through, I've noticed that its mainly p2p he is using, I would have a word with him but to be honest hes a student(from another country), its like talking to a plank of wood.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭vodkadub

Username! wrote: »
    What's the router? Some router's can be configured with QoS (so you can prioritise e.g port 80, which is for browsing).

I have a standard issue netopia wireless router from eircom, it does have QoS, but I have no idea how to configure it to give me higher priority on the network

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

vodkadub wrote: »
    its like talking to a plank of wood.
    Nail him to a tree! :D

seriously though, get yourself a good router with the ability to set QoS and port blocking etc.

you can set his IP address to the very lowest priority and set mail, IM and web traffic etc. to the highest priority so his torrenting does not affect the rest of the household. I have a linksys wrt54gs at home doing exactly the same thing and it's only me and the g/f using it, but it works perfectly (with a good 3rd party firmware like ddwrt, hyperwrt or openwrt) despite me hammering the living crap out of my brand spanking new 20mbps ntl connection. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have a Linksys WRT54GS router and it has good QOS settings which you can define by IP address or port.

The WRT54G also has these settings. It is a great router and I never need to reset it or anything. I just leave it there and it works without problems. I download the odd torrent too although I'm not a heavy/regular torrent user.

Just make sure to update it to the latest settings if you get it as it had UPNP problems in the earlier firmware versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you do get one and there's heavy torrenting on it, it'll die withing a couple of hours (a day max) before it need rebooting. unless you put a 3rd party firmware on it, but again that depends on the hardware revision. check the wikipedia page on the wrt54g for a list of which hardware revisions are compatible with 3rd party firmware and which are not. it'll also tell you which firmwares are available for the model you eventually get too and which ones to avoid like the plague. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement