Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Bank Accounts

Options
  • 13-11-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I set up an AIB "junior saver" account for my son and his children's allowance gets paid in there. I recently found out the deposit interest rate on this account is 1.5% per annum. Does anyone know if there is a restriction on what types of account a childrens allowance can get paid into, as obviously I want to set up an account for him that pays a higher interest rate than 1.5%.
    Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Nope, it can be any kind of account that you want provided that its a bank account that will take regular lodgements rather than a "lump sum" account. Check with your bank, they will give you information on a suitable account with a higher interest rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 johnbaz72

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

open a credit union account, your child will get a better rate of interest and in return they will get all the benefits of the largest co-operative movement in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

EBS have a new kids savings account. Think its the BIG Saver account, My son has one and has a good interest rate. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Enright wrote: »
    open a credit union account, your child will get a better rate of interest and in return they will get all the benefits of the largest co-operative movement in ireland

credit unions give sh1te rates of interest.

Try first active /halifax for attractive rates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

johnbaz72 wrote: »
    I set up an AIB "junior saver" account for my son and his children's allowance gets paid in there. I recently found out the deposit interest rate on this account is 1.5% per annum. Does anyone know if there is a restriction on what types of account a childrens allowance can get paid into, as obviously I want to set up an account for him that pays a higher interest rate than 1.5%.
    Thanks in advance...

http://www.aib.ie/personal/savings/Regular-Saving-Accounts/AIB-Parent-Saver-Plan

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

I have 2 Halifax Child Saver Accounts. I got a call from them yesterday suggesting they may have a better option now available.
    E200 voucher on opening.
    8-10% AER.
    E350 bonus after 5 years.

I may have some or all of these details wrong but try ringing them as I think she said it may not be advertised online.

Advertisement