Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins 'in the well'

Options
  • 13-11-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭

My main residence on boards is the poker forum. We have a regular and very popular thing over there called 'in the well' threads.
    We borrowed the concept from 2+2 (US poker forum), and it works like this.. We invite somebody, usually one of the more knowledgeable posters to metaphorically 'jump down the well' and answer other posters questions until such a time as the questions dry up or the person decides to come up from the well.
    The majority of the questions are obviously poker related, but there are no restrictions and the threads tend to be highly entertaining and informative.

We've also from time to time convinced high profile guests to jump down, including the current pot limit omaha world champion Marty Smyth, well known poker journalist Dr Pauly, and TV poker commentator and personality Jesse May.

I got thinking how great it would be to convince Richard Dawkins to sign up to boards and jump down our A&A 'well'.

What do people think?

Do you reckon we could convince him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lazare wrote: »
    Do you reckon we could convince him?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Try Harun Yahya instead. He's anybody's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

While an interesting proposition, Lazare, the problem here is everybody thinks they know everything already. ;)

However if anyone can convince a celebrity heathen to post here, I'm sure we could arrange tea, biscuits and a host of pertinent questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

This is Richard Dawkins .... that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Wicknight wrote: »

Richard,

Why are you so down on organised religions? Did an organised religion bully you as a child?

-A

I'd be nice to have him on the B,C&P thread but I think he'd become tired of the incoherent crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Wicknight wrote: »

Richard ... will you be my new dad?

Richard ... will you be my new dad?

Why has Richard forsaken us?

Were you sent here by the devil?

Can you give me an example of a genetic mutation or of an evolutionary process which can be seen to increase the information in the genome?

Stumped you again, ha!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Watch it Schuhart or you'll find yourself in the well! ;)

Schuhart wrote: »
    Can you give me an example of a genetic mutation or of an evolutionary process which can be seen to increase the information in the genome?

J C!!!!!???? :confused: :eek: :D :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Schuhart wrote: »

So all mutations cause a loss of information?

Lets say we have a mini DNA sequence as follows

ATG ACT

At some point we have a random point mutation, thus we apparently 'lose' some information

Ending up with the following sequence.

ATC ACT

Now at some point in the future we have a further point mutation 'losing' some more information.

We now end up with the following sequence

ATG ACT

Explain please or it is the well for you my friend.

Oh and define how we would measure genetic information is as well while you are at it.
    J C!!!!!???? :confused: :eek: :D :pac::pac:
    J C wrote: »
    ......your example of a reverse mutation merely restored the information that was lost......but CRUCIALLY it didn't increase the original information ....which is a requirement of any system that is capable of 'evolving' slime into Man!!!:D

Perhaps :)

Someone infect that man with the A&A cultural memes, quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Zillah wrote: »

No good sir, he's on the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Canis_major

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zillah viewpost.gif

No good sir, he's on the level.

The ring came off my pudding can?!

Take my pen knife, my good man!

Dades wrote: »
    Watch it Schuhart or you'll find yourself in the well! ;)
    All I said was that piece of halibut was fit for Jehovah.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lol, loving the simpsons tune, started singing it after the first post, cognitive convergence!1

Interesting concept but he has never said anything that I haven't thought of stoned.
    It's liking giving somebody a pat on the back for not being stupid.
    Now if we could get the pope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

lol, loving the simpsons tune, started singing it after the first post, cognitive convergence!1

Interesting concept but he has never said anything that I haven't thought of stoned.
    It's liking giving somebody a pat on the back for not being stupid.
    Now if we could get the pope...

could it be non celebs first?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's generally people from the community with special guests sometimes. It's great on the poker forum, so yes. We can start with the mods and buddhists.

Advertisement