Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cancelling Car Insurance

Options
  • 13-11-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying a new car which is a bit sportier than the current wagon, and I'm getting the feeling that my current insurance provider is going to fleece me or even refuse insurance if it's some magical Japanese import that they don't want to cover me for.

Now I've gotten quotes from other insurers on the new car with out problem (no dragging the heels) and generally 200-300 euro cheaper than the one my current provider will most likely offer.

I'll be selling my current car or trading it in if that makes any difference.

So how hard is it to cancel or anything else I should be aware of? Is this a horrible idea or an everyday thing? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

It's fairly easy to cancel just be aware that you will loose what you have gained so far this year for NCB. i.e. if you have two years before your current policy you will revert to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

It depends, if you havent earned a full bonus yet, you will lose whatever you have earned since your last renewal.

Depends on what company you are with and whether its your first year with them or not, as you are not always gaurenteed a pro rata rebate on your premium, in fact an insurance co. is perfectly entitled to keep all of your premium if they wanted, thankfully its not common place!

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

esSpoono wrote: »
    I am looking at buying a new car which is a bit sportier than the current wagon, and I'm getting the feeling that my current insurance provider is going to fleece me or even refuse insurance if it's some magical Japanese import that they don't want to cover me for.

Now I've gotten quotes from other insurers on the new car with out problem (no dragging the heels) and generally 200-300 euro cheaper than the one my current provider will most likely offer.

I'll be selling my current car or trading it in if that makes any difference.

So how hard is it to cancel or anything else I should be aware of? Is this a horrible idea or an everyday thing? :confused:

Why not just ring and tell them you want to transfer your current policy over to a new car you have or will be buying. They will just as the usual questions and want the spec of the new car. If you are going from a 1ltr to a say 2ltr then expect a hike but i doubt they will refuse. If you mention that you are thinking of cancelling and going with a different insurance company they might match the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm only into the new contract by about two months paying by installments, and I've been with the same company for the last 6 years will no claims etc etc. This year it's a real stinger too because I didn't take the time to get the price down, renewed with only a small discount.

So I guess that's all good. At the very least knowing I can change easily is something of a bargaining chip, or if need be get away from them entirely.

Strangely enough I thought it was a nightmare to do or not even possible.

Thanks!
    Vanbis wrote: »
    Why not just ring and tell them you want to transfer your current policy over to a new car you have or will be buying. They will just as the usual questions and want the spec of the new car. If you are going from a 1ltr to a say 2ltr then expect a hike but i doubt they will refuse. If you mention that you are thinking of canceling and going with a different insurance company they might match the offer.

Exactly my thinking. I was in contact with them today and they couldn't give me a price and it now depends on if it's a Japanese import or not (hinted that if it was they wouldn't cover it :S). So I had to go off and get the reg number of the new car so they can check to see if it is an import tomorrow. Not the first time I've had to do this but the last time it wasn't an import.

Advertisement