Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a 3G modem connection

Options
  • 13-11-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I used to have ADSL but it was kind of crap in my area - loads of latency. I also had a seperate router (not part of modem) - an SMC barricade.

So got a 3G modem. Connected to the "main" PC. And this is connected through a network cable.

Is it possible to bridge the network that the 3G modem creates with the network the router creates so that other PCs, wirelessly connected to the router, can gateway to the Vodafone network and surf the web?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

netgear makes a dedicated 3g router with a sim slot. it depends on the router if you will be able to redirect traffic through it. maybe if you set the pc as a gateway on the other comps it will work.

If you're running Windows 2000, XP or Vista you can enable Internet Connection Sharing on the 3G dialup connection. It's a bit rudimentary but it works. Alternatively you could get hold of a UMTS router but they're not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Karsini wrote: »
    If you're running Windows 2000, XP or Vista you can enable Internet Connection Sharing on the 3G dialup connection. It's a bit rudimentary but it works. Alternatively you could get hold of a UMTS router but they're not cheap.

Yea, but the PC connected to the 3G does not have a wireless, it's hardwired to the router. Was hoping that the router would act as the gateway for the other machines....

Yea, but the PC connected to the 3G does not have a wireless, it's hardwired to the router. Was hoping that the router would act as the gateway for the other machines....

I think I see what you mean. If your router has a WAN port you could plug the PC with the 3G modem in to it, you might need to use a crossover cable for this. The upside is that the router acts as a gateway for the others. The downside is that they won't be able to access the host PC for things such as file and print sharing if you use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

I use this product... works well for me...

http://www.infoferenda.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27:dovado-umr-20&catid=news&Itemid=22

I also got the external antenna so the inhouse signal into the UMR is good also...

• Advertisement

Very easy.

Turned ICS on the dial up 3G connection on the host PC
    Set the IP address of the ethernet card in the host PC to be 192.168.0.4.
    Set the DNS for the host PC ethernet card to be 192.169.0.1

Set the IP address of the router to be 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.anything). The DNS to be 192.168.0.4 (the IP address of the ethernet card in the host PC).

Then set all the connecting machines through wireless to be DHCP but with DNS set to 192.168.0.4

Wollop, it's done. Two laptops and an E71 connecting perfectly with WPA enabled.

Very easy.

Turned ICS on the dial up 3G connection on the host PC
    Set the IP address of the ethernet card in the host PC to be 192.168.0.4.
    Set the DNS for the host PC ethernet card to be 192.169.0.1

Set the IP address of the router to be 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.anything). The DNS to be 192.168.0.4 (the IP address of the ethernet card in the host PC).

Then set all the connecting machines through wireless to be DHCP but with DNS set to 192.168.0.4

Wollop, it's done. Two laptops and an E71 connecting perfectly with WPA enabled.

Actually, I don't think there is a DNS setting on the router, just IP address having checked it there...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

for wireless sharing of 3G get a DOVADO 3G router.. its not that expensive..no more than a fancy schmancy belkin ADSL router.. I've installed one for a family and they're dead pleased with it so far.. there is a thread about it here..

stylers wrote: »
    for wireless sharing of 3G get a DOVADO 3G router.. its not that expensive..no more than a fancy schmancy belkin ADSL router.. I've installed one for a family and they're dead pleased with it so far.. there is a thread about it here..

Ok, but if you follow the steps above - any router can be used with a 3G card. Allows me to reuse my existing router without having to fork out for the same thing preconfigured.

Advertisement