Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodmans speakers in Tesco

• 13-11-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Picked up a set of these speakers in Tesco Stillorgan today

http://www.goodmans.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=GHC58&language=en-GB

79 euro down from 149, used my clubcard vouchers to get another 18 quid off

Havent actually tried them yet, but i blew my old speakers recently, reckon these will more than do until i get a whole new kit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I saw them and didn't think they were very powerful.

Let us know about the quality please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Actually, was 79 Euro the price of the whole set? I saw it in Tesco Stillorgan as well, but they told me that price is 79 Euro for each part of the set, which is composed by two boxes. In total, 159 Euro.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

See the manual here before you buy - it contains the following warning:

"WARNING: Please note the sub-woofer (main unit), the front and surround speakers supplied with this kit are not magnetically shielded and must be positioned away from a TV or monitor screen (e.g sub-woofer: at least 100cm, front and surround speakers: at least 60cm). Failure to follow this instruction may result in localised discolouration of the screen, which may not be correctable."

Was on the verge of buying till I saw this. I guess if you have the space from your telly it could be good value as its got a built-in amp. Was pi$$ed off at the misleading pricing too - €74.90 for each part of the two-part set, parts can't be split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    See the manual here before you buy - it contains the following warning:

"WARNING: Please note the sub-woofer (main unit), the front and surround speakers supplied with this kit are not magnetically shielded and must be positioned away from a TV or monitor screen (e.g sub-woofer: at least 100cm, front and surround speakers: at least 60cm). Failure to follow this instruction may result in localised discolouration of the screen, which may not be correctable."

Was on the verge of buying till I saw this. I guess if you have the space from your telly it could be good value as its got a built-in amp. Was pi$$ed off at the misleading pricing too - €74.90 for each part of the two-part set, parts can't be split.

it is that price for the full set. If they are charging you for each box let them then go back and complain and you will get it for nothing then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

Yeah you are right - Its the 2 boxes for that price- it even says on the box pack A and pack B, Not to be sold seperately. As said above, pay for them then go to customer services and you'll get your money back.

I tried today, got both of them, and got charged for each. Went to customer service, they told me it's correct, 74.90 EACH, to be bought together. The only thing I could do is to give it back and take a refund, otherwise I had to pay the full price of both. :mad:

At the end, I didn't take it.

daigo75 wrote: »
    I tried today, got both of them, and got charged for each. Went to customer service, they told me it's correct, 74.90 EACH, to be bought together. The only thing I could do is to give it back and take a refund, otherwise I had to pay the full price of both. :mad:

At the end, I didn't take it.
    make a formal complaint about it they are defo that price i bought them the other day (just before the 25% off Grrr) and thats what i paid how where you charged for both there is only a barcode on one box!!!!!

danois wrote: »
    make a formal complaint about it they are defo that price i bought them the other day (just before the 25% off Grrr) and thats what i paid how where you charged for both there is only a barcode on one box!!!!!

There were TWO barcodes, one on each boxes, and they correspond to slightly different product names (woofer and satellites). I asked three people, and all of them told me they must be scanned separately. Extremely misleading, but I didn't have the time to stay there and ask for a manager. Maybe I could write to Tesco customer service, but I doubt it would be useful...

daigo75 wrote: »
    There were TWO barcodes, one on each boxes, and they correspond to slightly different product names (woofer and satellites). I asked three people, and all of them told me they must be scanned separately. Extremely misleading, but I didn't have the time to stay there and ask for a manager. Maybe I could write to Tesco customer service, but I doubt it would be useful...

Well the one i got had only one barcode maybe i was just lucky. But can't see the logic in them selling the set separately thats just ridiculous

• Advertisement

danois wrote: »
    Well the one i got had only one barcode maybe i was just lucky. But can't see the logic in them selling the set separately thats just ridiculous

Exactly, maybe it was by chance. They told me clearly "they must be scanned separately, they have different codes". Anyway, I find it unclear and not fully honest. Also, the description on the big yellow labels is so similar for the two products that it's easy to think it's showing the price for the whole set.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

The box woth the sub/amp has a picture of the whole lot, so I bought it - I thought maybe the speakers were small, compact type.

Anyway brought box home, and discovered no speakers in in.
    So back down to the store, told the Polish Duty Manager there was no speakers in it. He was surprised too, so gave me another set. Brought that home too, still no speakers.
    So down again, explained to him, and asked for a refund. He asked me to come back the next day, as it was now 11pm and he couldn't do a refund at that hour.

So down again the next day, went to customer services. She called the bloke from that section, and he explained the speakers were a seperate set and had to be bought seperately.

So I got my refund.
    I also held onto my 10c voucher for petrol/diesel so I suppose that made up for the hopping and trotting :D

Anyway.
    Was down there again this evening, and now they have a big notice saying BOTH sets need to be purchased - obviously I wasn't the only one that made the mistake and they got fed up of people bringing stuff back.

As an aside, they actually had a set up-and-running with a 42" plasma. Looks impressive, but they were showing a Take That concert so it was hard to judge the sound properly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

That seems a bit insane, even misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

Right to clear this up once and for all,

The boxes clearly state the following: Goodmans Total 175 watts home cinema speaker system. Integrated 5.1 channel amplifier sub woofer with 4 floor standing aluminium speakers and aluminium centre speaker.

The boxes are labelled GHC58 SUB Pack A and GHC58 SPK Pack B, each box states that it must be used together with the other pack and NOT TO BE SOLD SEPERATELY.

Id point out to the staff that if you were to buy pack A, which contains the sub woofer and centre speaker( plus remote and cables etc) how would that be a 5.1 channel amp sub woofer and 4 floor standing speakers that it says on the box? Actually no, do what i did point out the "not to be sold seperately" bit on the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Let's be straight about this. They should have labelled it as "home cinema 5.1 system - half price at €149.80. 2 boxes included". Instead they priced each box separately and confused everyone. Stoopid.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I got a set for 79 turns out i dont need them gort them for the brother so selling them if any one wants them

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=83660

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Got a set of these in Stillorgan on Friday for 75euro. One box is priced at 40 for the system and 34.99 for the speakers. This price was printed on the aisle display. Also saw them in Tesco Nutgrove today, I think for the same price, so thats what they are supposed to be selling for. Fair bit of hardware for your money if a little clunky.

On the quality front they appear to be fine. Sound is quite good although wouldnt blow your socks off with 175 watts - fine for hooking up to the ole xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

giftgrub wrote: »
    Picked up a set of these speakers in Tesco Stillorgan today

http://www.goodmans.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=GHC58&language=en-GB

79 euro down from 149, used my clubcard vouchers to get another 18 quid off

Havent actually tried them yet, but i blew my old speakers recently, reckon these will more than do until i get a whole new kit

down to €35 now in artane branch,could be same elsewhere.

Advertisement