Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United vs Stoke Game thread.

• 13-11-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭

Well, fairly awkward game for United this weekend, first of two games against Stoke in a relatively short period of time.

No real team news for United, Hargreaves obviously out but i don't think there are any other injury worries for United.

While it is a game United should win, without meaning any disrespect, I do feel a bit uneasy about it. van der Saar is shaky on crosses and commanding the area, Rio isn't on top form and the majority of our team are midgets - I can see there being many a scary moment when Delap launches one into the box.

I do reckon United will win it, and I'd guess at 2-1, Stoke scoring off a throw.

Comments

My Liverpool supporting mate is going to this for his ol lads (United fan) birthday! Hope we win 6 nil just for him!!

If Vidic and Rio can handle the threat of the throw ins then we should be ok. We need to bring the shooting boots though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I can see O'Shea getting a start, just because hes taller than Rafael and Neville put together. 2-1 sounds like a fairly likely score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

A must win for United and I fully expect them to do so. As long as they are fully concentrated to deal with Delaps long throw there should be no problem. Fergie should be reminding them how difficult Hull made it for us so there should be no complacency. Plus after last weeks disappointing result they should be going out all guns blazing.

The game is live on Setanta 1 at 3pm just in case anyone doesnt know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A must win for United and I fully expect them to do so. As long as they are fully concentrated to deal with Delaps long throw there should be no problem. Fergie should be reminding them how difficult Hull made it for us so there should be no complacency. Plus after last weeks disappointing result they should be going out all guns blazing.

The game is live on Setanta 1 at 3pm just in case anyone doesnt know.
    Should be some good streams for it so. Good stuff. This is in no way a Bump to get above that imposter thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I can see Stoke scoring.

My head still says Utd will have too much upfront for them though.

VDS,Rio & Vidic (particularly the first two) have been poor this year. I think Delaps throw will cause serial flapper Mr Van Der Sar some serious problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

We'll win comfortably, no question. 3-0 I reckon. I doubt Stoke will score, even with their gimmicky (at this stage) throw-ins :pac:.

I hope Foster and Tevez start ahead of VDS and Berbatov or Rooney.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I can see Stoke scoring.

VDS,Rio & Vidic (particularly the first two) have been poor this year. I think Delaps throw will cause serial flapper Mr Van Der Sar some serious problems.

yep - VDS is gonna have real problems tomorrow. Tommy K would be even worse, not sure about Foster.

I think Ronaldo is gonna have to come back and help, being one of the taller players in the team, and good in the air. No sure he actually will though. It will probably be Evra, Park and Anderson left to deal with it....

Reckon O'Shea could start, if only cause he is tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stoke to score one via a Delap missile as Rio forgets there is no offside.

Final score 3-1

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

United to win 3 or 4 nil. Tevez definitely deserves a start. I would drop Berbatov, personally but i doubt many would agree.

United to win 3 or 4 nil. Tevez definitely deserves a start. I would drop Berbatov, personally but i doubt many would agree.

I would keep as much height in the side as possible. And tevez deserving a start doens't seem to come in to it, he has deserved many more starts this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Should start Neville and get him to fling every throw in Utd get in Stoke's half into the box, if only to prove to Trap that Delap is a better option at RB for Ireland than anyone we have now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Should start Neville and get him to fling every throw in Utd get in Stoke's half into the box, if only to prove to Trap that Delap is a better option at RB for Ireland than anyone we have now

At right back? Surely if we're gonna play him we'll stick him in midfield somewhere. We have Finnan and Kelly so we're ok at right back.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

6ozg6tw.pngV stoke_city_fc_logo.jpg

Barclays Premier League
    Saturday 15th November 2008
    Old Trafford
    KO 15.00 GMT

Setanta Sports 1

Hopefully the team will be something like this

VDS
    Rafael--Rio-Vidic--Evra
    Ronaldo-Carrick-Ando-Park
    ---Berbatov---Tevez---

Rooney has been out of sorts for the last 2 games, so dropping him to the subs bench might be no harm. We all know how he responded the last time he was dropped to the bench.

In my opinion, this is a must win game as are most of them from here on in, if we are to reel back in the top two at present. Potentially we could be 11 points behind Liverpool at the top of the table if they beat Bolton before our game kicks off.

I am going for a 3-1 win with Ronaldo to get his 100th goal, Tevez, and Rooney coming off the bench to also claim his 100th goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

VDS

Neville--Ferdinand----Vidic--Evra

Ronaldo--Anderson--Carrick--Nani

Rooney--Berbatov

Or something like that, doubt there will be too many surprises, reckon neville over rafael seen as raphael played mid-week. Toss up between park and Nani but reckon Nani neds a bit of a confirdence booster and might get a bit of joy against stoke. Lookin like another poxy 90 minutes of failing to break down a 10 man back 4, but winning none the less.
    Neck out I'd say 2 nil, with rooney to score:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Rooney has been out all week with a chest infection but should be fit for tomorrow, wouldnt be surprised to see him on the bench though with Tevez getting a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Neville played at CB against Rangers - doubt he'll play tomorrow. I think Fergie has said he can't play two games a week??

Anderson played also if memory serves - wouldn't be overly suprised if Fletch and Carrick started tomorrow in the centre..

Would like to see Tevez in for Rooney also. Tevez needs a run of games now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I would be fairly confident of Stoke getting a goal, given VDS's form and the rustiness in defence in general. United should still win though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Anyone else hoping they don't play a 4-4-2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

i can't see Delap's throw beating Vidic and Ferdinand (if they are on form). Its hard to defend against, but I reckon these two will be the strongest against it.

United 2-0, Ronnie and Rooney scoring.

Also, what are the odds of Fletcher starting? (gf has him in her FF team :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Important for Tevez to get some games. Madrid have been making sounds about buying him to replace RVN in January. If he's not getting his game he might just take them up on it in the Summer.

Anyway 3-1 to the Devils is my prediction for what it's worth !!

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Stoke to win 2-1.

VDS to be at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Very simple to defend against Delap, don't concede throws in your half.

Anyone remember him firing one in against Liverpool at Anfield?, I don't think he got one, I supposed it helped Liverpool having up around 75% possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Boggles wrote: »
    Very simple to defend against Delap, don't concede throws in your half.

Anyone remember him firing one in against Liverpool at Anfield?, I don't think he got one, I supposed it helped Liverpool having up around 75% possession.

Yes but they were so caught up in trying to counteract Delap's throw ins that they forgot to score any goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dave! wrote: »
    I would be fairly confident of Stoke getting a goal, given VDS's form and the rustiness in defence in general. United should still win though.

id be worried about vds too

but Rio could be well dodgy too

vidic should clear any balls that come his way tbh

so out of our back-line id trust only vidic for todays game

i was offered to go to the match but id couldnt be arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

SantryRed wrote: »
    Stoke to win 2-1.

VDS to be at fault.

You just jinxed it :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

United win for me but I fancy stoke to score first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I think United's class will show through in this game, I can see Rio and Vidic finally stepping up to the plate this season and shutting down everything that Stoke throw at them. I can see a very dominant and assured performance by United and they'll win comfortably by 2 or 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think utd have enough quality in the Rio and Vidic to deal with Delap's throw-ins , And I do not see them having to deal with that many to be honest , expect Utd to dominate and for a lot of the game to be played in the stoke half . If fit , would like to see Fletcher start (along side Anderson )better equipped to deal with a very big physical side (not dirty ) like Stoke than Carrick IMO. Also ,although he is a lot smaller than Berbs for the same reason I would like to see Tevez start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I expect the team to be
    VDS
    O'Shea-Rio--Vidic-Evra
    ---Carrcik--Fletcher---
    -Ronaldo
    Nani-
    Rooney--Berb----

However i would really like to see
    VDS
    O'Shea-Rio--Vidic-Evra
    ---Carrick--Fletcher---
    -Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez
    Berb

to be given a shot.

I honestly don't think its that a big a risk to try it out with Rooney and Tezez being work horses and it also keeps our "defense" players the same just swapping Nani/Park for Tevez who will probably do as much work off the ball as either of them

Come on Fergie give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I can see Stoke scoring.

IMO it's actually been VDS and Vidic who have been poor. Rio has been compensating for them, and he's been compensating for poor RB defending with Neville or Brown (who needs games and confidence). As such, he's making mistakes because he is being drawn out of position, but nowhere near as bad as Vidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the team will be pick with height/battle as a factor, so

VDS
    -O'Shea--Rio--Vidic--Evra-
    ---Carrick--Anderson----
    -Ronaldo--Rooney--Nani-
    Berb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Tbh I think people here are worrying too much about Delaps throw in's, we should be worried about our own team here, we are the Premiership and Europeon champions.
    We will win comfortably 3 or 4 I say.

TODAY TEAM

VDS

O SHEA
    EVANS
    VIDIC
    EVRA

RONALDO
    CARRICK
    FLETCHER
    PARK

TEVEZ
    BERBS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

no rio??????

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    no rio??????

no Rooney?

• Advertisement

No Rio is a big worry. Must be injured - anyone hear anything?

no Rooney?

Rooney has been out of training all week with a chest infection

BENCH

FOSTER, ANDERSON, NANI, WELBECK, MANUCHO , RAFEAL , GIBSON

no RIO(no reason given yet ) or Rooney (chest infection )

Rooney has been out of training all week with a chest infection

Ah yes. I was too busy yesterday to follow any of the team news.

If we go ahead early then maybe we'll finally see this "Manucho" chap in action for the last 20 or so mins!

VDS
    O SHEA
    EVANS
    VIDIC
    EVRA

CARRICK
    FLETCHER
    RONALDO
    PARK

TEVEZ

BERBS

Good oul team

Wonder why Rio is out :confused: A kick in the arse for being so rusty as of late? Evans is pretty good in the air (and the same height as Rio anyway), so I'm not too concerned tbh. I guess this is a baptism of fire for him actually!

Looks like Fergie went for the 'tall lads' approach, as prophesied by some of ye, by shticking in Johno

Looking forward to this

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Evans is pretty good in the air (and the same height as Rio anyway), so I'm not too concerned tbh. I guess this is a baptism of fire for him actually!

He made his prem debut for us against Chelsea, away i think. Definitely played, not sure if it was his prem debut for us though.

He made his prem debut for us against Chelsea, away i think. Definitely played, not sure if it was his prem debut for us though.
    Ah right fair enough that was probably more challenging! :D But this will be quite testing too, if they get a few Delap throws.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Gooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll

1-0 Ronaldo

Stunning free kick. Keeper should have done better though.

100th for Ronaldo

1-0

RONALDO freekick :eek:

Keeper f**k up .

describe? don't have a stream up yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

wahey go on ronaldo
    keeper was terrible there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Is this on the telly? I don't have setanta.. Anyone have any stream links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Stunning Free, but Sorenson is a tool.

The crowd now banging out VIVA Ronaldo in full voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should've saved it but if you hit the target there's always a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

any decent streams lads?

• Advertisement
Advertisement