Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Easiest way to make this site?

• 13-11-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm on a bit of a deadline trying to put together a website for a college project.

My basic requirements:
    - User management
    - Users are able to upload files along with a few basic fields (description etc)
    - Moderators must approve uploaded files.
    - Files can be categorised and categories will be listed on the sidebar.

A forum is not really an option as I have to do some programming to get my marks.

I was going to do it in pure PHP/MySQL but bollox to that, it would be buggy as **** and take me ages. I'm looking into the PEAR modules for PHP and that looks promising.

I've also looked into Drupal but don't think I could get to grips with it in time!

The reason I'm asking is that I see this stuff on thousands of sites and so there must be an easy way to do it instead of being the 1,000,000th person to write that code.

Thank yiz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Well if it's a college project then YOU should be doing the bulk of the work / coding shouldn't you?.

Are you going to get much marks for handing up some premade package that you've put a pretty interface on?

For all my college projects relating to web development it was expected that we use "bare" code, that we've written ourselves.

I'd suggest just go the PHP/MYSQL route, it would only take a few hours of coding to complete what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

grasshopa wrote: »
    I was going to do it in pure PHP/MySQL but bollox to that, it would be buggy as ****

Why buggy? Unless you make it buggy! It shouldn't take you that long to be honest. It's a fairly small application. If you want to learn a framework to speed up the process then you could have a look at Code Igniter or Zend (which is a little trickier but worth the effort!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

a couple of hours would see that done no problem.

Mirror wrote: »
    a couple of hours would see that done no problem.

I don't know if it would take a couple of hours if you need to learn a framework from scratch. The learning curve is fairly steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I don't know if it would take a couple of hours if you need to learn a framework from scratch. The learning curve is fairly steep.
    aye but i'm assuming the OP has some sort of coding experience as he mentions the fact that he needs to actually write code to get his marks...now it wouldn't be the prettiest thing in the world in two hours, but the functionality would be there and once the bones are in place thats the important part in terms of college projects afaik...

• Advertisement

Mirror wrote: »
    aye but i'm assuming the OP has some sort of coding experience as he mentions the fact that he needs to actually write code to get his marks...now it wouldn't be the prettiest thing in the world in two hours, but the functionality would be there and once the bones are in place thats the important part in terms of college projects afaik...

Indeed. Two classes worth downloading for doing it in pure PHP would be class.upload.php from Verot and the EZSQL database wrapper. You'd need to build the interface, do all the validation, etc. yourself but they should save you messing about with database and image manipulation stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

The bulk of the project is programming for J2ME for mobile phones. The SDK's etc are buggy I'd like to spend as much time as possible on that so that's why I'm asking. I'd also like to know for future reference!

I was pretty much working with C, assembly and PHP (not all at once :p) until college, and since learning how to design quickly and efficiently in java and electronics doing everything from scratch just seems outdated.

The Mighty Ken, thanks for your helpful links.

Advertisement