Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding in Public

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

NibNib wrote: »
    Watched a program about breastfeeding (I think it was on Channel 4) recently and I did feel a bit uneasy. It was about breastfeeding other people's babies, and still breastfeeding 3, 4years olds... I did feel a bit uncomfortable...:o

Yet I'd bet you're pretty comfortable drinking the milk that comes out of a cow that wasn't your mother.

Ooh, that came out harsher than intended.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NibNib

taconnol wrote: »
    Yet I'd bet you're pretty comfortable drinking the milk that comes out of a cow that wasn't your mother.

Hehe I know. That's why I feel a bit embarrassed for feeling uncomfortable:) But if I were unable to breastfeed my baby, I would still prefer to give the baby formula like SMA than having a wet nurse...... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

wet nurses are ****ing weird man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

Ive never seen it either, but Im all for it if only because it gets up peoples uptight noses for some unfathomable reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DonkeyPunch

I like a bit of wet nurse, me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I've breastfed in public and was so discreet nobody would have guessed. If anyone had asked me to stop, I'd have happily let the baby scream and deafen them so they'd be eager to reconsider!
    And I love to see a baby being breastfed in public (not for perverted reasons!)
    NibNib wrote: »

Watched a program about breastfeeding (I think it was on Channel 4) recently and I did feel a bit uneasy. It was about breastfeeding other people's babies, and still breastfeeding 3, 4years olds... I did feel a bit uncomfortable...:o
    I would feel the same way. Mine were only fed up to 9 months, I didn't let it get to the stage where they could pull up my jumper and help themselves, and I wouldn't like others feeding my baby either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Should be protected by law or something, tell the prudish insecure gobshites to stfu once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It is protected by law, breastfeeding mothers legally cannot be asked to remove themselves from a premesis for breastfeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

By Sarah Stack and Stephen O'Farrell

Thursday October 30 2008

THE Government was forced last night to issue an embarrassing public apology to a woman told to stop breastfeeding in a social welfare office.

The Department of Social and Family Affairs expressed regret to the new mother and claimed it "fully accepts the individual's rights in this regard".

A complaint was lodged with the Equality Tribunal in June 2007 after the incident in a north Dublin branch office. It was investigated under the Equal Status Act and mediation held between the parties.

Resolved

A spokeswoman for the department said the outcome of the case, which was resolved last week, was confidential but added that the young mother had requested that officials issue a statement.

Stressing that department staff try "at all times" to treat members of the public with efficiency and courtesy. The spokeswoman went on: "This isolated and regrettable incident highlights the need for particular customer-focused awareness campaigns for all staff dealing with members of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

no problem if done discreetly some mothers pull up the jumper and have both brests out feeding one baby i have seen this myself in the raw pardon the pun cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If I was sitting next to a woman who took out her breast and started to breastfeed I would get up and move to another seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've no problem with it. Sure it's the second most natural thing in the world behind taking a shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shaunababe

I love seeing people breastfeeding its so ..... hot :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

It's a beautiful natural thing. I don't know what the ʞɔnɟ is wrong with these sick sʞɔnɟ who think it's their business to object.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

coming from a guy who *really* likes to see a nice set... women having them hanging out even for feeding i dont think is right. we dont need another reason to need to walk around slightly bent over with our hands in our pockets !

http://www.uploading.com/files/YDLSN27H/starbuckemployeeofthemonth.wmv.html
    nsfw too! let me know if i need to re-up it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

It's a beautiful natural thing. I don't know what the ʞɔnɟ is wrong with these sick sʞɔnɟ who think it's their business to object.
    /quote

steady on there!, having sex is a beautiful natural thing also, but i'm sure you dont wanna see me having sex at a restaurant!

I always try to approach things in a logical way.

logically and sensibly i would say breast feeding in public is fine and i have no problem with it, i know its good for mother and child, and a child needs to be fed when it needs to be fed, and breast feeding is totally natural and harmless etc etc.

but the thing is, i do have a problem with it.
    theres no reason for this, it may not make any sense but thats the way it is for me. i wouldn't go into a cafe/restaurant/bar/cinema etc, if i knew there was someone breast feeding inside. i'm not saying i would oppose any move to promote it. i'm just stating f.y.i. that it'd make me uncomfortable!

maybe its the result of growing up in a culture where breasts are "naughty".... ?? i dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭RadioGaGa

You wouldnt whip out your lad in public so why are women allowed to show their baps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Cos penises are sexual organs and breasts are not? Boobs are there primarily to feed babies. Penises are there to stick into stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

RadioGaGa wrote: »
    You wouldnt whip out your lad in public so why are women allowed to show their baps?

Because you don't feed babies with your cock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

RadioGaGa wrote: »
    Umm lets see ...

Could be that their child needs to be fed.

You obviously have never had children or have the foggiest what parenthood is about.

• Advertisement

Ah, self righteous parental attitudes....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Prefer to see a woman breastfeeding in public than giving the baby a bottle in public tbh.

(and yes I'm aware the bottle can be filled with breast milk, I'm just a fan of things being done naturally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

JC 2K3 wrote: »

In fairness, the kid is breast-fed on demand. A tit (which you can avert your eyes from) is better than a screaming baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Piste wrote: »
    Cos penises are sexual organs and breasts are not? Boobs are there primarily to feed babies. Penises are there to stick into stuff.
    Penises are primarily for pissing out of IMO.
    Damn prudes ruining public pissing for everyone. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

*While breastfeeding his baby brother singing....*

Sinne Fianna Fáil
    Atá faoi gheall ag Éirinn,
    Buíon dár slua
    Thar toinn do ráinig chugainn,
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor........to be continued!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Its usually the same people who whine whenever the kid decides to chuck a tanty and give disapproving looks or worse tell you to remove yourself and the offending child from a restaurant or cafe. Babies have to eat too so I say to all those who are offended go pour yourself a nice big cup of STFU and stop fukin with my zen.

If you object to breastfeeding in public then you're still stick with Victorian British attitudes from imperial times. A true Irish patriot would approve of B.I.P.

If you object to breastfeeding in public then you're still stick with Victorian British attitudes from imperial times. A true Irish patriot would approve of B.I.P.

Why would you class this as a "Victorian British" attitude as opposed to a "Catholic Irish" attitude? I find it baffling that you raised patriotism here, or even considered it the slightest bit relevant to the topic...

Why would you class this as a "Victorian British" attitude as opposed to a "Catholic Irish" attitude? I find it baffling that you raised patriotism here, or even considered it the slightest bit relevant to the topic...

"Catholic Irish" came from Victorian British. As opposed to Catholic French or Catholic Italian or Catholic Polish. Spot the difference?

I don't consider people's prudery at all relevant to BIP, so I think I have every right to bring my own irrational argument to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I dont even like public displays of affection.

Advertisement