Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authors like Chuck Palahniuk

Options
  • 13-11-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've read many of Chuck's books such as Choke, Lullaby and Survivor and really liked his style of writing and the stories he tells.

I'm looking for similar types of authors and recommendations for their books please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

He has a similar writing style to Douglas Coupland. Generation X is a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Try American Psycho if you haven't already

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'ge started Diary, about sixty pages in and i really can't get into it at all. I think i'm gonna give up on it. It's rubbish and really annoying to read

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DMG 1972

Try Danny Leigh - the greatest gift, I thought it was similiar enough to Chuck Palahniuks style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭hamrog

Thanks for the replies.....

I've read American Psycho (thought it was excellent). I'll have a look into Danny Leigh, thanks for passing this on.

I read a couple of Douglas Coupland's books but not Generation X, I'll give that a look as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

hamrog wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.....

I've read American Psycho (thought it was excellent). I'll have a look into Danny Leigh, thanks for passing this on.
    QUOTE]

I loved Chuck's earlier books, Survivor, Fight Club, Invisible Monsters. Liked a lot of his short stories. thought Lullaby was ok, Diary - meh, then it went really downhill with Haunted and I've just given up on Rant also. Read what happens on wikipedia and I'm delighted I quit it.

His style has got annoying and he is throwing books out quicker than Stephen King.

I'm a big Bret Easton Ellis fan so if you haven't read Lunar Park on top of his other books (American Psycho, Glamorama, Rules of Attractio etc) then make sure to pick it up.

Someone who is into the same books as me recommended House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. It's his favourite book and everyone he told to read it loves it, now it's my turn. He told me to avoid his other novels though cause they are a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Try David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest, total genius and difficult to categorise...but has elements/shades of Palahniuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 helen_of_poi

You could try The Diceman by Luke Rhinehart.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Disco Bandit

just finished choke, looking forward to seein the film.

i highly recommend Americian Skin: a novel by Don De Grazia. read it during the summer in an airport in the states. great read. not as excruciating (like haunted) as chucks stuff but the characters are just as offbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

just finished choke, looking forward to seein the film.

It's getting dodgy reviews but I'll still see it just to be sure, and cause sam Rockwell is cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

De Niro's Game by Rawi Hage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

You could try The Diceman by Luke Rhinehart.
    That's a brilliant book. Only finished reading it recently.

OP, you could try Jarhead. Its a short book, bout the same length as Fight Club, and a similiar writing style.

Advertisement